Would this server do it?

Discussion in 'Bukkit Discussion' started by MeisterHeinz, Jun 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

MeisterHeinz

Hi everybody,

currently we are hosting our Minecraft world on a pretty weak server hardware. It an Athlon 64 3200+ with 4GB RAM and a software RAID1.

Now, the problem is, that we recognize that with a bunch of plugins and more then 4 players online at the same time, the server starts to lag. Not with building blocks and moving around or something like this - that works good, rather in generating new chunks if someone discovers new areas, or reloading already created chunks (looks like an empty worlds and so on...)

So we decided to rent a new server and we think about the following:

AMD Athlon II X4 605e
    8 GB DDR3 RAM
    100 mBit
    1000 GB RAID1 (software)

I think in the near future the server will grow more and more (new players, more chunks, more buildings, some more plugins...)
    So I need some advice, how much players could possibly play on this hardware... I dont have so much experience with Minecraft & hardware... :)

Thanks in advance :)

2. Offline

Simanova

Without plugins: 10 player
    With few plugins (1-10): 8 player
    With more plugins (10-30): 6 player

The bottleneck is the cpu (AMD Athlon II X4 605e).
    It provides only 2,3Ghz per core, without turbo and got a small l2-cache.
    Minecraft/Bukkit is using only 1 core. 75% of your CPU will be without use.

My advise: Get a dualcore with at least 3+Ghz, boost feature, large l2-cache
    4GB Ram are enough for you (linux) - use the following parameters for startup:
    Code:
    PARAMS="-Xmx4096M -XX:ParallelGCThreads=4 -server -Xincgc -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:+CMSIncrementalPacing -XX:+AggressiveOpts -XX:+CMSParallelRemarkEnabled -XX:+DisableExplicitGC -XX:MaxGCPauseMillis=500 -XX:SurvivorRatio=16 -XX:TargetSurvivorRatio=90 -XX:+UseAdaptiveGCBoundary -XX:-UseGCOverheadLimit -Xnoclassgc -XX:UseSSE=3 -XX:PermSize=128m -XX:LargePageSizeInBytes=4m -jar"

3. Offline

MeisterHeinz

Hey, thanks for your answer.
    Hm, would a Intel Xeon X3440 with 2,53 GHz be better? I ask this because Ghz is not always Ghz... :) A p4 with 3Ghz is much slower than a actual CPU with less Ghz...
    Or as an alternative: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+
    The problem is, that in Germany a root server with at least 3 Ghz is too expensive for our little group.

Thats on the one hand. On the other hand: Are you sure about the 3Ghz? Because only the fattest Nehalem-Xeons have over 3 Ghz (max 3,4 Ghz)...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.