[WIP/WGEN] Continents - a world of unique continents, every one is different!

Discussion in 'WIP and Development Status' started by codename_B, Jan 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

codename_B

Just a screenshot to tantalise you for now, I am looking for help (from devs OR just people with ideas) with different types of continents (materials, populators etc).

This is on my test server now: bananacode.minecrafton.com

Feel free to go look!

Now with some populators! (still in need of populators for the "man-made", "ice" and "nether" sections as well as more populators for everything!

Still need to find some HUGE TREE populators, as well as some kind of populator for the "plain" thing and a populator for the "volcano" thing.

[​IMG]
    Here, have some in-game screenshots!
    [​IMG]

Jozeth, RROD, Deleted user and 3 others like this.
  2. Interesting ideea but overview looks weird, you could place them a bit more randomly in distance from eachother, they look like placed on a grid xD

Ideeas... well, I always loved these themes for MC:
    - forests (normal trees with white ones) with beaches
    - snowy forests that go to snowy rocky mountains with stone under the snow and dirt on pathways, no grass
    - mountains with swamps and huge trees that make the swamp a bit darker, a chance of vulcano would be nice
    - huge mountains that allow the water to go through them like canyons, perfect for on-mountain-wall buildings ("Time Machine" anyone ? :p)
    - huge grassy and flowery fields mixed with forests
    - some naturally looking deserts with some puddles of water and some fake palm trees (huge trunks with 4 leaf extensions)
    - and ofc some exotic ones like nether-like ones and stuff. (not really my preference but people would use them for various servers)

Also, more visible stone on mountains because there's too much dirt in default MC ! :p
    And each contintent style should be toggleable :}

3. Offline

codename_B

They ARE placed on a grid :p

4. Well, my suggestion is, either make them grid-less or make a high percentage of grid items empty :p

EDIT:
    OH ! and some populated areas with castles (a high percentage of them should be in wreck, the rest populated with those nosy default citizens =) ), some nicer towns, farms (with mills, animals, etc), cabins (fishing, hunting, etc), fortresses, mines entrances with resources on the walls, docks with boats... and anything you can uncover.. but please make every aspect optional because some people (like myself :-") don't want certain stuff :}

And yeah, ideeas are plently... actual code is what you need =) I dunno about coding populators that make structures and stuff but I could make .schematics for you to use ? :p

Actually, using schematics for populating should be a plugin feature, there's a similar plugin out there but this plugin would complete that !

5. Offline

codename_B

I'm not keen on using schematics (I have code for that here, but I'm not going to use it :p).

The castle idea is being implemented though :D

6. Offline

ZachBora

This is an interesting idea. Servers could sell islands.
    What size are your grid pieces?

7. Offline

xpansive

You can use anything you find in ExpansiveTerrain (google it), it's WTFPL

8. Offline

codename_B

256x256 (just bitshifted everything)

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2016
  9. Offline

ZachBora

You're missing a volcanic island.

10. Offline

codename_B

That's the solid obsidian one, just need to implement lava in a populator :)

11. Offline

ZachBora

swamp island? mushroom island?

12. Offline

Sayshal

Option to choose how big the 'ocean' between continents are.. I hate oceans... so bloody much. XD

13. Offline

codename_B

The whole point here is islands and oceans!

14. Offline

Sayshal

Islands, or continents? Two very differently sized & classed things.

15. Offline

codename_B

Well, they're continent sized islands :)

16. Offline

Sayshal

What is the scale of that map... They LOOK puny >.>

17. Offline

codename_B

Err each "section" is 256 by 256

EDIT: Put up some in-game screenshots, you'll get a better idea now hopefully.

18. Offline

Sayshal

Customizable size, grid size, still: space of 'ocean' between islands. ?

19. Offline

codename_B

Do you understand the concept of bit shift? :/

20. Offline

Sayshal

Don't even know what that is. You asked for features I'm throwing out ideas. Heck, I might not ever use this plugin, but a feature-rich plugin is always awesome to see.

21. @codename_B users don't care about the technical stuff as long as the result is awesome :p
    But seriously, my opinion is if you *really* want to stick to the grid-like layout, make a high percentage of grids as non-continents/just water.

22. Maybe try to group clusters of similar continents together so that hopping from one continent to the adjacent one feels a little more progressive ;)

23. Offline

codename_B

Update on the lava islands. TENTACLES.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

24. Offline

codename_B

Updated OP image to reflect new populators

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

25. Offline

codename_B

26. Offline

codename_B

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tauryuu and Fishrock123 like this.
  27. Offline

Fishrock123

Nice! Hope it gets to the point where the islands and oceans look a bit more random and natural though. :p

28. Offline

codename_B

The current incarnation is a bit better :)

29. Offline

Deleted user

Anyone else see a tree on fire there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.