[WIP/RPG] Dragons Lair - A dungeon crawler

Discussion in 'WIP and Development Status' started by kumpelblase2, Apr 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey guys!

So one day RaVneN_dk talked with me about what Minecraft would need. But Minecraft is endless. The world is (nearly) endless. You can do whatever you like with a bit of imagination, so what is missing? It's missing a goal. A goal where the way is tough. A goal which takes longer than an hour to accomplish. A goal which can be redefined making it a new experience every time. This is the goal we're trying to accomplish. We call it Dragons Lair. A plugin taking RPG in Minecraft to a new level with a dungeon crawler/Advanced dungeons & dragons base on the game of "Eye of the Beholder 2" but with the creativity of every player. Different on each server, but one thing in common: mastering all challenges no matter how hard they are.
    Enough for the introduction I think. So all in all, this will be a fully customizable dungeon crawler. And by "fully customizable" I mean fully customizable! Let's just list them:
    • You decide the storyline of the dungeon!
    • Interactive NPCs
    • Challenges!
    • Events
    • Mysteries and hidden treasures
    • Realistic behavior of NPC-dialogs
    You can do basically everything you could do in a dungeon crawler with this plugin!

• You decide the storyline of the dungeon!
    Yes, that's right! You can say how the story will start, how the story will end and everything that's between it. You can design it.

• Interactive NPCs
    Not just boring villages that just stand still, I'm talking about NPCs that look like players and act like players! Walking around, guiding you to your goal.

• Challenges!
    You decide what tests players should pass, might they be fighting mob or finding the key to the next room. It's up to you!

• Events
    Depending on what the players do, things could happen. Out of nothing a swarm of zombies might appear. Or directly under you the floor disappears. Everything you could think of.

• Mysteries and hidden treasures
    How about a chest with diamonds behind that wall? Here you go!

• Realistic behavior of NPC-dialogs
    No linear dialogs, you decide how it'll continue! Try to speak with then like you would normally do and see the magic. Your argumentation might look good for the npc and he'll give you the key to the next level or he might just spawn a wave of skeletons right in front of you that you need to defeat in order to get the key. It's completely up to you.

Everything will be stored in a MySQL database so you can manage all of the data pretty easily. Like I said, you have complete control.

Screenshots?
    Well, here's one from the last days which shows how the ai might behave in a dialog.
    Show Spoiler

[​IMG]

The dialog is not hard-coded, meaning it is already stored in the db so I can't only change what the npc answers but also how the dialog goes on.

This is still in a really early state, so there won't be any testing-version(s) soon, but when I think it's time, there'll be a beta-version. But it'll take a lot of time to make a decent dungeon because there are SO MANY things to do so be prepared!

Any feedback is appreciated and I hope you guys like it,
    ~kumpelblase2

kahlilnc likes this.
  2. Offline

Double0negative

I might be interested in helping out if you need any help, send me a pm. I wont be here Wednesday thru Sunday however.

3. preview of the database constellation:
    table setup:
    - Chapters:
    Or levels. These are the different sections of a dungeon. Each chapter can be but doesn't need to be connected to another.​
    - Objectives:
    These are the parts of the main "quest". So whenever a objective is complete a new objective should start guiding the player through the dungeon and the challenges. Whenever a group of players leave the dungeon, the current objective will be saved for that party, Meaning when they come back, they start where they left.​
    - NPCs:
    Every NPC is saved here. No matter if he should spawn while the dungeon is going or if he's there from the start. Position, name, items, etc get saved here.​
    - Triggers:
    Whenever a specific action happens, e.g. a player starts a conversation with a npc, and a trigger is registered to listen on that conversation, it'll fire and specified events will get executed. One trigger may execute more than one event.​
    - Events:
    Events get called be triggers that got fired. These events can change the dungeon, players, npc, etc. For instance, there's an event for starting a conversation when a player interacts with npcX (-> interacting with a npc can fire a trigger which can execute this event).​
    - Dialogs:
    Every dialog get's added here. None of these get assigned to a specific npc, that the job for triggers and events. So you could add the same dialog to 20 different npcs. Moreover, you can set the next dialog depending on the answer the player gives. The answer of the player can have one of 5 types: agreement, consider agreement, disagreement, consider disagreement and considering. So you can change to dialog 5 when the players answer is of type agreement for example.​

Clarification for triggers and events:
    Player does a specific action (e.g. places a block) -> If there's a trigger that watches out for that kind of block, a specific position a block should be placed on or both it'll fire -> every event that's defined for the executor get's called -> Events get executed, e.g. objective complete and entrance to the next level.

Some tables might get added in the process but this is the current status. Maybe there'll be support for more than one dungeon, which would be necessary.

Feel free to post any suggestion/question or else, I'm open for everything ;)

Double0negative pm'ed ya.

Have a nice day :)

4. Update:
    Basically everything works fine, the only thing that needs to be done is something like a reset of the dungeon to be played more than once. This is the only thing that prevents me from releasing. There are still some other things that I would like to be implemented but most of the things aren't really necessary in general.

Keep in mind: You'll need to do a lot to make a good dungeon. Triggers, events, npc etc. would need to be made by yourself.

5. Offline

sphygmo

excited for this - shoot me PM if you want beta tester

6. Update:
    Double0negative is working on some sort of rollback to be able to play the same dungeon over and over again.
    I myself added Maps so you can view the current chapter and objective.
    The dungeon itself looks most likely finished, i didn't took deep look into it but all things did work for me.

7. Yaay, yet another update :D
    We have some pictures to show you!

Maps:
    Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

These will update if the chapter and/or objective changes. You can also scroll up and down if the text is too long to fit on one page. NOTE: You'll get a new map on entrance so you don't need to take one with you.

Configuration:
    Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

As you can see there is no command (only the one to start the config), you just type in what you want to edit. So you don't need to retype a complete command when you only made one letter wrong. It's also a lot easier to create a npc because you don't need to worry in which order the arguments are or even what arguments you need. The downside of this is that you can't chat while you are inside the configuration. I hope you like it!

8. Some days have passed, some days full of programming. The configuration is done now, so you can manage everything ingame, while it looks nice and is easy to handle. You probably only need one command only one time (you still need to write other things...). I probably make a demo video some time to show what this plugin is capable of, but it'll not be easy to put everything in one video as it's a lot to show! So stay tuned!

sphygmo: We probably make a beta when logging/recovering of dungeons is done and the help menu is finished. Depending on how big you want your dungeon to be, there'll be a lot of work coming at you but I hope it'll be totally worth it :p

9. Massive improvement: We can now have per-party-saves. What does that mean?
    Every progress that you made while in the dungeon is saved when you pause the dungeon. Meaning if you go back into the dungeon with the same party, you start where you left of. Same block destroyed, same blocks placed. Nothing has changed. If you leave or pause the dungeon it get's reverted to the original state so others can play it as well! Though, this is not fully finished (currently only block breakings get saved but it's not hard to expand from here on) but there's not much in our way anymore! Also the logs get saved in the database so the progress won't get lost on server restart!
    I hope these are good news for those who are watching this project^^

~kumeplblase2.

10. Nearly a week is over again. Since Double0negative is now working on his own project, I'm alone again working on it. That doesn't mean this project won't get finished! Major parts of the logging is finished, which was one of the biggest reason of not making a (closed)beta. I'm already doing a closed-beta-testing with Father of Time, who should receive some hugs for that :3. When we're done, fixing big bugs, I'll publish a beta version for all of you to test and experiment with. The system is big, so expect a lot to read to get everything working the way you want it to work.

In the meantime, I made a really short video showing the basics and a really small amount of the features that Dragons Lair will/is capable of.

I hope you like it!

I'm still open for suggestions, question or whatever is on your heart!

~kumpelblase2.

11. Offline

Iron_Crystal

Thats amazing.

12. Depends on what you make out of it. It can truly be amazing if you have a giant dungeon which takes more than one playing session to complete (which would be possible with dragons lair) and requires teamwork in a lot of places. But the reward should be appropriate as well. It gives the players a felling of a new game when the dungeon is well made or could just make a town more vivid with npcs that can talk with you. On the other hand, it's a lot of work to set up all the triggers and events, but it's rewarding like hell if you've finished it and can play the dungeon by yourself.

13. And another video, showing the actual process of a dungeon, containing maps which show the current chapter and the current objective. Also, all the things you've done in the dungeon get restored to the original state to let other people play the same dungeon as well. I'm still open for suggestions :3

Have a nice day !

14. Offline

Neodork

I'm interested you might want to re-upload the 2nd video.

15. Thanks! Yeah, I'm gonna do that asap.

Video should be up again!

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2016
  16. Offline

izak12345678910

How is it going it looks amazing! Will it need spout?

17. For NPC skins yes, but for all other things no. You can have skins on npcs though, but you can only get skins by names of players.

18. Offline

izak12345678910

Will you add like a choice for npc without skins so spout won't be necessary? and when will a beta version come out?

19. Offline

tsuna25

Spout!yay does it need any other plugins?Like citizens?Hope it doesnt

20. Sure it's already implemented ;)
    Well no plugins are really needed, but if you have some plugins, you have more functionality, e.g. citizens. Normally you'd need to create a npc yourself, now you can just use the ones you have created with citizens.

21. Probably not really interesting for normal users, but for plugin devs:
    It's now possible to create own triggers and events which get executed in Dragons Lair. Those can also get saved in the database as well.

22. Offline

tsuna25

I want this n
    I want this now :(

23. Offline

tsuna25

This still getting worked on?

24. Yep. Currently preparing for public beta.

25. Offline

tsuna25

Yes I can't wait Citizens questing is just to little.Do you have an option for giving the players buffs/items when they first start the quest?

26. As long as you react on an action, then giving players items is possible. Adding/Removing potion effects is currently not implemented yet, but I'm gonna add it to my todo list.

I hopefully finish written or video tutorials on how to set things up and getting started at least at the weekend so I can upload the public beta. The feature suggested by tsuna25 is now implemented. Have a nice day!

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

27. Offline

tsuna25

What would happen instead of saying yes please you starting cussing and stuff,can you make it so he kills you or something?

All I can say from the first look vid is good job!;)

28. The ai isn't that good at the moment. It can see if you aren't sure, agree or disagree, nothing more currently and it's really easy to trick.
    However, you can let the npc kill you.

29. Offline

tsuna25

I use this as more of a questing plugin or see it(Same thing I guess)Can't wait I'll make a huge dungeon/quest with this.

30. Looks like *puts on sunglasses* the videos are uploaded and the file is ready too, YEEEAAAHHH!

I hope you have a lot of fun testing and playing! If you encounter any bugs or errors or you want to request a feature, feel free to create a ticket to let me know!

Part 1:
    Part 2:
    Download: BukkitDev

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.