[WIP] [ADMN/WEB] Community Piston - Advanced Donation & Voting Tools For Your Server

Discussion in 'WIP and Development Status' started by Mayney, Oct 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Mayney

2. Offline

Lars1011

Give me. Now.

3. Offline

Sushi

Bootstrap? Meh.

4. Offline

Mayney

Hopefully we will get a public beta of the donation section out within the next week or two and then expand from that over the following weeks.

Bootstrap provides us with a stable framework for development however the default style is over used so that's why we use modified themes.

5. Offline

Sushi

All bootstrap sites are cookie-cutter, even if they don't use the default style they have the exact same UI elements.

Also, your site looks a lot like McPVP (but slightly more professional)

6. Offline

zachman1221

to bad I cant use it looks cool!

7. Offline

jkru2

Waiting in anticipation! Please hurry! This looks amazing!

8. Offline

Sushi

Oh god, why did you write it in PHP?

9. Offline

Mayney

At the moment I'm finalising the alpha plugin and parts of the webstore. So hopefully it will launch next week.

Through the wording of all the posts you made in this thread I feel that you are trying to troll and incite pointless arguments. All I will say on this topic is that no programming language is perfect and it's how the language is used which determines the quality of the application made.

10. Offline

lol768

Agreed.

There's nothing wrong with Bootstrap. Sure, I might complain if it looked like this:
    http://twitter.github.com/bootstrap/examples/hero.html

But I like the customization and obvious effort put into the design.

Where's your version? Seriously though, don't pick problems in somebody's project if they've taken the time to write it and release it to the community.

11. Offline

Sushi

Actually, I'm not. PHP is just inherently broken. No language is perfect, but PHP is far from being anything close to a tinge of what may be barely reminiscent of being near perfect.

I've argued about programming languages before, and I don't want to bring it to this thread, but PHP is just bad. I've written in Python, Ruby, PHP, Java, C#, SQL, Shell, Batch, JavaScript, HTML, CSS, C, Vala, and Go and out of all of them there are some things I like, and some aspects I don't. For example, out of Python and Ruby I'd have to choose Ruby due to it's readability and intuitiveness. All of these languages have their faults, but none of them are as poorly designed as PHP.

Here's some issues with PHP that I can think of off the top of my head:
    • Bad error reporting (no stacktraces)
    • Poor implementation of system library
    • Badly named system functions
    • OOP syntax makes no sense
    • OOP feels like a copy of Java, but not everything is an object, so PHP doesn't have true objects
    • Tied to Apache and is a pain to deploy on other web servers
    • PHP is very slow compared to even Ruby or Python
    • PHP's universal php.ini makes it difficult for individual apps to specify their own settings
    • PHP's drop-files-in-a-directory method of deploying makes it insecure and prone to PHP injection
    • PHP's default DB implementation doesn't sanitize automatically unlike web frameworks/ORMs in some other languages like Django and RoR
    • PHP arrays makes no sense, how are they lists and dictionaries at the same time?
    • PHP doesn't have a good way of distributing libraries, you just dump php files into other php files using include/require
    I'm not trolling about the design either. It looks a lot like McPvP. Your design is better thought out, but you guys both use the exact same colors, fonts, UI controls, and colors on the UI controls.

http://www.minecraftpvp.com/
    http://community-piston.net/index.php

Before you say "facebook uses PHP", facebook has had to come over its own hurdles too. Instead of using the standard implementation of PHP, facebook had to create their own implementation of PHP called HipHop that compiles it to C++, to improve PHP scalability and performance.

12. Offline

WaterNode

Sushi
    Although I enjoy chatting about programming languages, agree with many of your points, what to use them for, what there are good or bad for, etc. I think it is for the better that you leave this project alone, they put quite a bit of effort into it; if you have a problem, don't use the plugin. Have a good day.

13. Offline

Sushi

14. Offline

lol768

15. Offline

Sushi

16. Offline

lol768

It's one of the other issues with PHP. That URL displays the credits, along with modules installed and version information. It's a security hole.

I believe OP has fixed it now though

17. Offline

Sushi

Ah. That's... not a bug. It's called phpinfo.

18. Offline

Lars1011

Got any ETA of when It will be available for us to use <3

19. Offline

lol768

It's more of an easter egg, as anyone can do it by simply adding the text to the url. It also allows you to make it show the PHP & Zend logo, all of which use up memory.

20. Offline

Sushi

lol what

21. Offline

lol768

22. Offline

Sushi

23. Offline

lol768

Hmm, there do seem to be quite a few issues with the language. It is wide-spread though, so I would have thought that it's one of the best for comparability (although Python is becoming more popular).

I am aware that this is completely off-topic, so I should probably shut up now :)

24. Offline

Mayney

Hopefully by the end of next week :)

25. Offline

Lars1011

Woot! Can't wait!!!

26. Offline

Lars1011

27. Offline

Mayney

Unfortunately I have chosen to delay it slightly to increase the security in the control panel and also prepare for cumulative ranks which will come at a later date.

28. Offline

Lars1011

Alright! keep up the good work I plan on using ur system whenever its ready!

29. Offline

Mayney

Just as an update, beta version 0.1 was finished yesterday. I'm currently doing some testing to make sure the majority of the current features work as intended.

I'm currently in talks with a partner to get a proper machine to run this website off and if all goes to plan the plugin will be submitted to BukkitDev for verification on Friday and the website will be opened up on Sunday.

30. Offline

drtshock

Any news on this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.