Why I want to abandon Bukkit Dev.

Discussion in 'BukkitDev Information and Feedback' started by KuCZik, Apr 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

KuCZik

Well, about six years ago, I somewhat abandon project CoalDiamonds on BukkitDev, really don't know why now, maybe I then can't figure out some simple tasks in code to really put it to work. However here I stand, with like six years old Github repository with source code to this thing. I changed some things, added some features, bug fixed it in some ways and made it to work properly with Spigot 1.15.2. I released it like a 20 hours ago on other platforms, nobody tried to stop me from that, because why. Yet there is Bukkit Dev. Why the heck they still continue with this nonsense as checking the files "if there is something bad", yet they have direct link to my Github and they can check this very small and easy code for like 5 minutes? It is 18 hours since I upload my 1.2 release file. I know that I am not alone here, but this is the thing that I think killing this site. And I think I don't care for Bukkit Dev anymore. Like the nostalgia that something that I made 6-7 years ago is still there, but why waiting for this nonsense, if you can use another easier websites such as Github or SpigotMC for releasing your projects without this long delays.

PS: I think that I will now get ban on every Bukkit or Curseforge platform, because I shared my opinion. But if you have good point in what I am mistaken, please tell me, but checking the files for malicious things "for greater good of public" is not one of them and you know that.

PPS: This is just my opinion, you don't need to share it with me, just think about it.

PPPS: Sorry for my bad english, I'm not a native speaker.

2. Online

timtower Administrator Administrator Moderator

@KuCZik The thing with the checks and the source: not everybody posts the source.
    Source does not have to be the same as the compiled jar.
    They have other stuff to do.
    They are heavily understaffed.

No need for a ban.

3. Offline

KuCZik

Well but for example in my case you can download the code that is open sourced on Github, check it, compile it and compare to the uploaded file. I think that is not very hardcore and extra time consuming in case of little project which contain just about 600 lines of code (if you remove every comment, repeated cycles, brackets on new lines it will be half of the actual code). And than you don't need to do reverse engineering or what else do you do.

Well that no need for ban is little bit warming, so maybe no hope is lost :)

4. Online

timtower Administrator Administrator Moderator

@KuCZik Not all github projects have the project files attached though (often put in the gitignore due to libraries)
    Compiling it would require something that can do that automatically to save time.

It isn't a perfect system. That is known. But it is safe.

5. Offline

KuCZik

Ok, good point.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.