When will Bukkit be updated for Minecraft 1.5?

Discussion in 'Bukkit News' started by EvilSeph, Apr 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

EvilSeph

Update:
    We have completed the update to Minecraft 1.5_02 (and have had it done for a while now) and are working out a few issues before we promote a recommended build. A TEST ONLY build is available but we highly recommend that you wait until we promote a Recommended Build before putting it on your production server.

You can find the latest test build on ci.bukkit.org. Please note, though, that if you don't already know how to get it, you probably shouldn't be using it. Only Recommended Builds have gone through extensive testing. Anything else could result in unforeseen problems like Bukkit eating your cake or your world. You have been warned.

---------------------------

Common Problems/Questions:
    What's the first build that works with Minecraft 1.5_02
    The first CraftBukkit build that works with Minecraft 1.5_02 was made available 2 days ago and is build #689. However, it is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED that if you are running the test builds, you always stay up to date as we usually fix bugs, exploits and improve stability.

I downloaded build 714 but got some other build!
    You're probably reading the version string incorrectly.

Here's an example version string:
    git-Bukkit-0.0.0-686-g71ef92a-b714jnks (MC: 1.5_02)

This version string is for build 714, as you can tell by the "b714jnks" at the end.

Whenever I use a plugin that changes blocks, I can't see the changes until I reconnect!
    We had an issue with blocks not updating properly but this has since been fixed from build #707. This bug affected plugins that changed blocks in game, like WorldEdit.

Help! My console keeps getting spammed with this error whenever someone gets kicked or disconnects and it lags the server!
    This is a bug we've fixed from build #701 onwards.

I can't build or destroy anything! Help!?
    The common cause of this issue is a client mod called Single Player Commands, please try uninstalling all your client mods and seeing if this fixes the issue. If this is the case, then it isn't a Bukkit issue and you should contact the author of the mods you use.

Every time I connect to the server and load a sign, the client crashes. What's wrong?
    Minecraft 1.5 has added limits for sign text. Plugin developers commonly used longer sign text to store extra data or add colours to signs. This is no longer possible, so we now cut off any line in a sign longer than 15 characters (as of build #712).

I get kicked when flying and am told that flying hasn't been enabled on this server. How do I enable flying?
    Minecraft 1.5 added anti-flying checks. You can enable flying by setting allow-flight=true in server.properties.

Whenever I try to send a long message in chat, it gets cut off at roughly two lines.
    A limit on chat has been added with Minecraft 1.5. This is one of the issues we're hoping to address before we promote a Recommended Build.

Help! When I use the CLI arguments to set ports (or any setting), the server always starts up on 25565 or ignores the setting!
    There was a bug that prevented the server from reading settings passed through CLI arguments. This has since been fixed from build #706 onwards.

The easiest fix for most problems is to update to the latest Bukkit test build.

--------------------------------

As is the case with every Minecraft update, we saw our usual influx of extra traffic from people wondering if we have a build of CraftBukkit working with the Minecraft update seconds after release (seriously). Usually, you'd see a pretty standard post from me stating we're working on an update and providing the usual advice that you aren't forced to update. However, this time there was a distinct lack of communication from the team regarding the status of the update, other than the usual "we're working on it". Couple this with the slow development occurring lately and we can forgive people for posting the expected "is Bukkit dead?" or "what's going on?" posts. I hope this post will explain everything.

Will there be a CraftBukkit for Minecraft 1.5?
    Given the reports of showstopping bugs present in 1.5, there's a high chance a new bugfix update for Minecraft will be out tomorrow or even several times this week. As a result, it is unlikely we will be releasing a 1.5 compatible build and, instead, will be waiting for something stable to work with.

Due to the nature of the project and the methods we use to provide Bukkit for Minecraft, any update - no matter how small - requires us to figure out the mapping of obfuscated classes and update our code. This takes a lot of time and work, so hopefully you understand our decision.

Having said all this, we recommend that you stay on 1.4 for a while until the patch storm subsides if your server depends on Bukkit.

Further, I wanted to apologise for the lack of communication regarding this update. I was really hesitant announcing this since it would only serve to disappoint and annoy people, however, I noticed quite a few supportive comments on here and IRC that pushed me to post this announcement because the people that have supported us through everything deserve it.

Why are things so quiet? Why is the update taking so long?
    Before I answer this, I think it is appropriate to cover what usually happens when we're aware of an update coming soon. Whenever we recieve word of a Minecraft update (which, contrary to popular belief, is generally the same time as everyone else), we place all development in the Bukkit project under a code freeze to prepare for the update and make things easier. That being said, last week thursday we were expecting a Minecraft update and appropriately placed the project under a code freeze. Unfortunately, the update was delayed and pushed to the next week, resulting in a much longer code freeze than normally occurs. Naturally, this lead to activity within the project seeming critically lower than it really was and prompted some people to post the inevitable "what's going on?" thread.

On top of the code freeze, we're working on some larger changes to Bukkit or CraftBukkit that require quite a bit of time to complete and will only be commited to the public code when they are ready. Quite often you'll find that, while you don't see any updates, we definitely are still working hard programming awesome things and appreciate your patience and support.

So why is this update taking so long? After we had updated for Minecraft 1.4, we came across some annoying chunk related issues and bugs that were incredibly difficult to pinpoint due to confusion with the new obfuscated names mappings (d -> c and c -> d). Naturally, these kinds of issues were unacceptable for the project and we immediately got to work on improving our update process to avoid issues of this nature in the future. While I think we can all agree with this decision, the unfortunate result is the delay we're currently facing since we're not yet done improving the process. The good news is, we're nearly done improving our update handling process and the wait will definitely be worth it come future updates.

Thank you for your patience and understanding!

Azukay, Nuinbot, pcgames3112 and 54 others like this.
  2. Offline

DogPatch1992

Atleast you Found it :) Most people still ask and ask and dont bother looking.

3. Offline

KGameLover1

Ha I know how that is. :p
    Anyway, great job on Bukkit in general guys!
    Take as long as you want, I can wait! :D

4. Offline

Noxturno

709 working great now, only problem for me is essentials protect creeper block dmg is disable but still destroys :( also
    /spawnmob is buggy spawns the monsters but they are invisible xD thanks

5. Offline

john piper

6. Offline

KGameLover1

They will get to it when they get to it, be patient!

7. Offline

Xanadar

I suggest you do the coding yourself if you want it so badly. Or you can be patient and wait for a stable version to come out. :D

Edit: On second thought, I doubt Johnny will read this and besides that... bukkit teamsters hardly pay attention to posts that just say "hurry up" anyways. :p

8. Offline

Lomz

You could always go learn java and give them a hand if you need the release that badly. :)

Edit: Ninja'd ;o

9. KGame have you managed to get your server on the latest CB Build? Since your with ServerCraft cause its been over 13hrs since i requested to use a UnRecomended build. -_-

10. Offline

gaz492

gonna learn java so i can make my own plugins. the way i like things

11. Offline

Paul_VB

hey btw guys magic carpet is kinda working on 709. its pretty glitchy and laggy, but on 705 it didnt work at all.
    keep up the great work bukkit!!

12. Offline

tyzoid

Yeah, I goofed...
    My server launcher I wrote was still pointing to MC 1.4

I fixed it now.
    CB 709.

13. Offline

skylabz0rz

Then, after CB is updated, you will have to wait for the mods you have to be updated, LOL. Be patient man. I am running our server on 709 right now and it seems to be ok, Multiverse doesnt work so players are not really playing too hard because they cant get to their world, just exploring the main world and whatnot.

14. Offline

tyzoid

15. Offline

Funkyn

Facepalm* Oh thanks :D. I didn't think aircraft really counted as flying since it's just moving blocks, but cool.

Ok, I found an error after reloading server twice.
    Config file malformed or older than 2.1 update.
    I deleted the folder, then reloaded and it seems to have loaded right now. I'm not sure what happened, it isn't outdated because I use CraftBukkitUpToDate, and I never touched the config file.
    P.S. Love the plugin

16. Offline

surfrock66

Man, this makes me wish I had used a host that allowed ftp uploading instead of just MCMyAdmin...

::prays for the bukkit gods to promote to recommended::

17. Offline

tyzoid

SSH is best.

What host are you using? I am just using my own computer right now.

18. Offline

surfrock66

Servercraft, who have been great, but now we're running 1.5 vanilla until bukkit is ready to install, and we have to use recommended builds.

19. Offline

Funkyn

Why do you have to use recommended builds? I'm using 704 (I know, outdated but I don't feel like updating it every 5 minutes when a new one comes out :D) and haven't crashed once. Most of plugins work too. Only one Im having problems with is McMMO and 1 more I can't remember. Oh, I just tested and Runecraft doesn't work either.

20. Offline

tyzoid

It's host reluctance to use unstable things that could crash their system. But bukkit is very stable can't possibly crash it.

I just need to fix sign shops not working, then I'm good to go.

21. Offline

Funkyn

Huh, that's odd. I don't see how a version of Bukkit could crash their system, but ok. I host my server on my parent's old computer :p

DogPatch1992 likes this.
  22. Offline

surfrock66

Yup, it's understandable, just a bit annoying during these narrow time periods. If some function call goes out of control, that's wasted cpu cycles and such. Either way, sounds like 709 is looking really stable...PROMOTE :D

23. they are clearly working on a HUGE update that will prob fix everything as they have not updated in like 7hours and they usually update the builds hourly if not earlier so it is obv they are going to release HUGEEEE UPDATE THAT WILL FIX MOST STUFF soon and we will all be happy and not be like ILL KILL YOU NOTCH anymore XD

24. Offline

gaz492

bukkit coders make the /give command so that you dont have to go /give <playername> <id> <ammount>.
    make it /give <playername(optional)> <id> <ammount>.

25. Offline

KGameLover1

For anyone using Servercraft, just submit a Support Ticket.
    I got mine up and running for about 5 minutes then McMyAdmin crashed and I haven't been able to get on for 2 hours :/

26. Offline

tyzoid

I have it on my server, but im not sure what plugin it is. Ill post back here and tell you when I find out.

27. Offline

Gratlofatic

If you want a good server hosting company with root ssh and ftp use provisionhost.

I'm not trying to advertise for them I'm just saying that's what I've been using and they're great xD

28. Offline

gaz492

thanks it will save me a lot of time i was planning on making my own plugin to do the command. i only know basic java aswell. thanks

29. Offline

tyzoid

It's scrapbukkit.jar

30. Gareth Essentials has /give playername ID amount
    and /i ID amount

31. Offline

x4n4th

The Essentials Project allows the use of /i or /item.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.