When will Bukkit be updated for Minecraft 1.5?

Discussion in 'Bukkit News' started by EvilSeph, Apr 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

EvilSeph

Update:
    We have completed the update to Minecraft 1.5_02 (and have had it done for a while now) and are working out a few issues before we promote a recommended build. A TEST ONLY build is available but we highly recommend that you wait until we promote a Recommended Build before putting it on your production server.

You can find the latest test build on ci.bukkit.org. Please note, though, that if you don't already know how to get it, you probably shouldn't be using it. Only Recommended Builds have gone through extensive testing. Anything else could result in unforeseen problems like Bukkit eating your cake or your world. You have been warned.

---------------------------

Common Problems/Questions:
    What's the first build that works with Minecraft 1.5_02
    The first CraftBukkit build that works with Minecraft 1.5_02 was made available 2 days ago and is build #689. However, it is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED that if you are running the test builds, you always stay up to date as we usually fix bugs, exploits and improve stability.

I downloaded build 714 but got some other build!
    You're probably reading the version string incorrectly.

Here's an example version string:
    git-Bukkit-0.0.0-686-g71ef92a-b714jnks (MC: 1.5_02)

This version string is for build 714, as you can tell by the "b714jnks" at the end.

Whenever I use a plugin that changes blocks, I can't see the changes until I reconnect!
    We had an issue with blocks not updating properly but this has since been fixed from build #707. This bug affected plugins that changed blocks in game, like WorldEdit.

Help! My console keeps getting spammed with this error whenever someone gets kicked or disconnects and it lags the server!
    This is a bug we've fixed from build #701 onwards.

I can't build or destroy anything! Help!?
    The common cause of this issue is a client mod called Single Player Commands, please try uninstalling all your client mods and seeing if this fixes the issue. If this is the case, then it isn't a Bukkit issue and you should contact the author of the mods you use.

Every time I connect to the server and load a sign, the client crashes. What's wrong?
    Minecraft 1.5 has added limits for sign text. Plugin developers commonly used longer sign text to store extra data or add colours to signs. This is no longer possible, so we now cut off any line in a sign longer than 15 characters (as of build #712).

I get kicked when flying and am told that flying hasn't been enabled on this server. How do I enable flying?
    Minecraft 1.5 added anti-flying checks. You can enable flying by setting allow-flight=true in server.properties.

Whenever I try to send a long message in chat, it gets cut off at roughly two lines.
    A limit on chat has been added with Minecraft 1.5. This is one of the issues we're hoping to address before we promote a Recommended Build.

Help! When I use the CLI arguments to set ports (or any setting), the server always starts up on 25565 or ignores the setting!
    There was a bug that prevented the server from reading settings passed through CLI arguments. This has since been fixed from build #706 onwards.

The easiest fix for most problems is to update to the latest Bukkit test build.

--------------------------------

As is the case with every Minecraft update, we saw our usual influx of extra traffic from people wondering if we have a build of CraftBukkit working with the Minecraft update seconds after release (seriously). Usually, you'd see a pretty standard post from me stating we're working on an update and providing the usual advice that you aren't forced to update. However, this time there was a distinct lack of communication from the team regarding the status of the update, other than the usual "we're working on it". Couple this with the slow development occurring lately and we can forgive people for posting the expected "is Bukkit dead?" or "what's going on?" posts. I hope this post will explain everything.

Will there be a CraftBukkit for Minecraft 1.5?
    Given the reports of showstopping bugs present in 1.5, there's a high chance a new bugfix update for Minecraft will be out tomorrow or even several times this week. As a result, it is unlikely we will be releasing a 1.5 compatible build and, instead, will be waiting for something stable to work with.

Due to the nature of the project and the methods we use to provide Bukkit for Minecraft, any update - no matter how small - requires us to figure out the mapping of obfuscated classes and update our code. This takes a lot of time and work, so hopefully you understand our decision.

Having said all this, we recommend that you stay on 1.4 for a while until the patch storm subsides if your server depends on Bukkit.

Further, I wanted to apologise for the lack of communication regarding this update. I was really hesitant announcing this since it would only serve to disappoint and annoy people, however, I noticed quite a few supportive comments on here and IRC that pushed me to post this announcement because the people that have supported us through everything deserve it.

Why are things so quiet? Why is the update taking so long?
    Before I answer this, I think it is appropriate to cover what usually happens when we're aware of an update coming soon. Whenever we recieve word of a Minecraft update (which, contrary to popular belief, is generally the same time as everyone else), we place all development in the Bukkit project under a code freeze to prepare for the update and make things easier. That being said, last week thursday we were expecting a Minecraft update and appropriately placed the project under a code freeze. Unfortunately, the update was delayed and pushed to the next week, resulting in a much longer code freeze than normally occurs. Naturally, this lead to activity within the project seeming critically lower than it really was and prompted some people to post the inevitable "what's going on?" thread.

On top of the code freeze, we're working on some larger changes to Bukkit or CraftBukkit that require quite a bit of time to complete and will only be commited to the public code when they are ready. Quite often you'll find that, while you don't see any updates, we definitely are still working hard programming awesome things and appreciate your patience and support.

So why is this update taking so long? After we had updated for Minecraft 1.4, we came across some annoying chunk related issues and bugs that were incredibly difficult to pinpoint due to confusion with the new obfuscated names mappings (d -> c and c -> d). Naturally, these kinds of issues were unacceptable for the project and we immediately got to work on improving our update process to avoid issues of this nature in the future. While I think we can all agree with this decision, the unfortunate result is the delay we're currently facing since we're not yet done improving the process. The good news is, we're nearly done improving our update handling process and the wait will definitely be worth it come future updates.

Thank you for your patience and understanding!

Azukay, Nuinbot, pcgames3112 and 54 others like this.
  2. Offline

ats1080

don't rush updating in the future for a game in it's BETA TEST phase.
    philosoratpor.jpg
    Or just have patience, and chill

3. Offline

Vyktar

I just liking having things working rather then broken, so take your time to make sure everything works perfectly with this upcoming update :D

4. currently there is 2 main issues 1 major lag the new builds are causing more lag and load chunks a lot slower the second is something i dont understand something to do with registering with players ex: when you //set or open a gate you do see the block change even though it has. you have to log out and back in to see the change

5. Offline

CHIKINS!!!

How do people get craftbukkit 703? or 699? are they lying or testing for craftbukkit?

6. Offline

rmb938

7. Offline

Desolater_IV

my server is kind of dead without bukkit :( Just players running wild, looting chests, and creepers blowing holes in the map :(

8. Offline

Funkyn

Hi everyone! 703 is relatively stable, but I wouldn't use it if you had a lot of people. I have a lot of mods, and so far only two of them are glitched. A few thing of MCMMO are broken, and Movecraft is glitched really strangely if you try to use an aircraft. Ill update this with more things I find.

List of Working Plugins I Have:
    AdminCmd
    HomeX
    Prefixer
    ColorMe
    WolfPound
    Firelord
    PlgWarp
    WolfName
    Monster Hunt
    GoKart
    Blast Control
    Monster Hunt
    LWC
    TextPlayer
    Spawn List
    SpawnX
    OChestDump
    TeleportX
    BOSEconomy

List of Glitched/Broken:
    Movecraft (Server kicks you if you use an aircraft for flying)
    McMMO (A few of the abilities are glitched, some work but some don't.)
    SimpleSave (Simply doesn't save)

Unknown:
    CraftBukkitUpToDate (Haven't been on the six hours needed to test this, also thinks that 703 is outdated compared to 684)

Also:
    Weather works, not positive about achievements yet :)

Get 703 here:
    http://ci.bukkit.org/job/dev-CraftBukkit/?

Hope this helps any server owners!
    (Wewt, first post!)

9. Offline

DylanFTL

On #703 now. (it has yet to rain or snow.:eek:)
    Plugins working on my server:
    Commandbook
    LWC
    iChat
    instabreak
    Deathmessageplugin
    Backup
    Not working:
    Craftbook(everything but the gates, it says toggled but nothing happens.)
    Epiczones
    Colorsigns
    Multiverse

10. Offline

Paul_VB

what 2 plugins are glitsched?

11. Offline

Funkyn

Movecraft kicks you if you use an aircraft, and a few things in McMMO don't work.

12. Offline

OrtwinS

Ah, the dev-builds are coming in.
    I do enjoy reading the discriptions, like:

implemented creeper.setpowered
    fixed creeper.setpowered
    fixed the fix of creeper.setpowered
    :p
    [snipped]

Thorned Rose and Paul_VB like this.
  13. Offline

PhantomGamers

I concur this. Thought it was a client problem at first, since I used Optimine. But it wasn't like this before... err... 699 I believe?

14. Offline

Kebab

I'm getting the following in the console if I try to start server with any of the new versions of craftbukkit:
    Code:
     Exception in thread "main"  java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: net.minecraft.server.PropertyManager.a(Ljava/lang/String;I)I
         at com.aranai.crafty.Crafty.startServer(Crafty.java:664)
         at com.aranai.crafty.Crafty.<init>(Crafty.java:377)
         at com.aranai.crafty.Crafty.main(Crafty.java:156)

Old version starts the server normally.

EDIT: This is because of the server GUI I'm using is outdated. I'm drunk so I couldn't figure it out straight way. :)

15. Runing server with 703.
    All work well. some minor pugs.
    Don't know if these are problems caused by bukkit:
    There is no snow falling only rain. (no ice or snow spawning on map)
    PvP seems not to be working (might be plugin Towny,Mcmmo).
    Rain falls trough water

Plugins on server

MCmmo: (problem with pvp?)
    BOSEconomy: works
    Towny: (problem with pvp?)
    Real shop: works
    Dungeon rewards: works (not showing full reward list though)
    Craeturebox: works
    Blastcontrol: works
    Appletree: works
    Glassblugin: works

16. Offline

PhantomGamers

17. Offline

idiosync

Yes but what I want to know is what version the Build supports before I download it. It is a hassle to download the Jar start it up and then look at the console to see if it is the latest MC Server.

18. Offline

PhantomGamers

It's quite obvious to be honest, they don't need to post it.
    Anything after 688 is 1.5_02.
    If you're too lazy to download it just check the changes list on the CI.
    http://ci.bukkit.org/job/dev-CraftBukkit/changes

CraftBukkit 705 is out.​

19. Offline

Xanadar

No recommended build as of yet.

In simple terms: NO.

Also, Why are people posting the last unrecommended releases here?
    Just go to
    http://ci.bukkit.org/job/dev-CraftBukkit/
    to see what releases there are. :\

20. Offline

CHIKINS!!!

[diamond]I think bukkit 107 is perfect for a recommended bukkit build.[diamond]

21. Offline

PhantomGamers

And it's not done yet. Patience. :-P

22. Offline

DogPatch1992

Wow just checked - http://ci.bukkit.org/job/dev-CraftBukkit
    and we are still going.... I have a feeling Notch done something to make it harder..... (joking)

Thank God for single player :)

I do not blame the Bukkit Developers, I Blame the code for not doing what the Developers want it to do. lol :)

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2016
  23. Offline

zorro6238

705 keeps loging me out[creeper]

24. erm just a fyi for the builds YOU CANT BAN PEOPLE the /ban command and /ban-ip both give me error -c if someone can please contact them about this!

25. Offline

PhantomGamers

Works fine for me. You're doing it wrong.
    (I'm on 705)

Same to you, @zorro6238
    I haven't been logged out at all :S

26. Offline

John Adams

I am on 703 and I am having a problem with ppl losing connection here is the error code.
    exception: java.io.IOException: Received string length longer that maximum allowed (21 > 15)
    Idk what it is but figured I would let someone know. And any help is appreciated. Thx

27. Offline

PhantomGamers

Try upgrading to 705.
    Always good to stay on the latest build, to make sure issues haven't already been solved.

28. im doing it wrong so /ban bobmarley would be doing it wrong? also bobmarley was a example name lol but are you using essentials?

29. Offline

PhantomGamers

Nope, I'm not.

I'm using:
    Code:
    Helios
    HeroicDeath
    ScrapBukkit
    iChat
    IPGet
    KitPlugin
    Permissions
    SimpleSave
    SpawnControl
    supplysign
    WolfPound

and I can do /ban test fine.
    I can also do /ban-ip 123.456.789 fine.

30. essentials will not be compatable with it then

31. Offline

PhantomGamers

I can't speak for essentials.
    But you said CraftBukkit was causing the ban issues, I am simply correcting you stating it's not.
    Unless it is, and ScrapBukkit fixes it. Doubt that though...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.