Updating an old plugin covered by GPLv3

Discussion in 'BukkitDev Information and Feedback' started by Bobcat00, May 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Bobcat00

The BukkitDev site states:
    The guidelines state:
    But GNU GPLv3 states that a work can be modified and redistributed as long as the source and appropriate notices are included. See http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html

So, if there's a 2-year old plugin with errors and the author hasn't logged in for the past 2 years nor responded to my recent email inquires, am I allowed to correct the errors and upload a modified plugin with source (and complying with the provisions of GPLv3) to BukkitDev?

Axe2760 likes this.
  2. Offline

TnT

The first statement already covers that.

You are free to fork it for your own purpose, and distribute it on some other site. The GPL doesn't stipulate it MUST be allowed to be distributed on BukkitDev. We do not want to ever deal with the drama of some dev finding out that their plugin was "taken over" by some random person and distributed on BukkitDev. Get the author to hand over the project to you if you want the project. Its simple, clean, and straight forward.

You're also free to entirely rewrite the plugin using your own code based off the same idea.

Jozeth and Axe2760 like this.
  3. Offline

Bobcat00

Very well. Thank you for the clarification.

An additional question. (I looked, but did not find an answer in the Terms of Service or Policies.)
    If I upload the fixed plugin to my personal web site, am I permitted to provide a link to it* on:
    • the original plugin's comment section?
    • a thread on the Bukkit forums?
    Thanks again... I'm just asking so I don't go through a lot of work just to find I've violated a rule.

* The link could be to either a page on my web site or a direct download link to the .jar file. Would it matter?

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2016
  4. Offline

TnT

No, if you're linking to plugins we expect them to be on BukkitDev only.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.