Time to move on?

Discussion in 'Bukkit Discussion' started by wxwsk8er, Dec 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

wxwsk8er

Hi,

I have been around the Bukkit community since 2013. I've been writing plugins and such for the past three years and have been following Bukkit's progression.

In the past year and a half Bukkit has dropped dead. After the legal issue with Wesley Wolfe came up Bukkit has been at a stand still. Bukkit used to be the leader in innovation and an excellent custom server program, but its fallen from where it was.

I look on BukkitDev and see that a good portion of the plugins are dead and haven't been updated since 1.7.2. The community of developers has not only left the Bukkit project but they've left the community.

Is it time to move on and explore other programs? Should we, if you are a developer, draft a new opensource server solution? I think so, but I can't do it alone :D

Please share your views and opinions.

Regards,

2. Offline

timtower Administrator Administrator Moderator

@wxwsk8er Making a server is a lot of work with many things to keep in mind.
    Time will be your biggest issue aside from finding capable developers.

3. Offline

Tecno_Wizard

@wxwsk8er, it's been tried. A lot. Myself and a few others from the forums worked for nearly half a year and only reached the point where the client could log in and chat. That was only the easy part too.

The reality is, a small team of devs cannot keep up with mojang's edits. They are a full time company, and a couple of people cannot develop what they do. That's why CraftBukkit worked so well. It simply edited what existed. That's no longer possible.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.