Suggestion: Add an 'imports craftbukkit' tag.

Discussion in 'BukkitDev Information and Feedback' started by jorisk322, Dec 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

jorisk322

It would be nice if files/projects on BukkitDev could be marked as 'using craftbukkit imports', so it would be easier for users to see if a plugin is going to break each update.

-_Husky_- likes this.
  2. Offline

TnT

This would be best for developers to mark this themselves, as there is no automatic way for dev.bukkit.org to detect plugins, leaving the developer to make this statement themselves. We will take this under advisement but I do not see the need to have an extra requirement for DBO staff to check at this time, when developers can take this approach themselves.

gomeow and -_Husky_- like this.
  3. Offline

jorisk322

I forgot to watch this thread, so I just saw your reply.
    Well, I thought of this as a check-box on the project settings page, which the developer could check/un-check. That would then place a mark at a fixed position on the page, so users can always find the information in the same place.

4. Offline

TnT

Nothing prevents them stating this in their thread. Your suggestion doesn't prevent them from not utilizing that check mark, leaving more items for our staff to enforce.

5. Offline

jorisk322

OK, thanks for your replies anyways!

6. Offline

Sushi

I thought that the BukkitDev staff decompile and sift through every plugin?

7. Offline

Ne0nx3r0

A checkbox on the file upload (so that when they click to the file page they could see a notice) would be sufficient.

There is no need to enforce it if it's available.

The real question is whether users would look at or even care to read any sort of giant red banner you put in their face. From that perspective, I doubt this would do much. I doubt many people would take the time to remember which plugins are NMS-powered and which aren't.

8. Offline

jorisk322

Well, the reason I would want this, is because I know I would look at it myself. I would like to have this information when deciding if I want a plugin on my server or not, and it's very useful when updating your server, because you know which plugins to give priority. I think many serious server admins would probably agree.

9. Offline

Ne0nx3r0

To be fair, under the current system you can easily tell which plugins need updating based on which ones break when you update Bukkit.

I imagine most serious server admins have a test version of their server that they can try updating; then based on which plugins have issues (because propaganda aside it's not only NMS plugins that can break when Bukkit updates) you can update plugins accordingly.

I hate to say this, but I imagine the pragmatic implications of this change are not as impressive as you might imagine.

There are probably more practical ways to tackle this issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.