[Solved] Permission to take up abandoned project

Discussion in 'BukkitDev Information and Feedback' started by helix457, Nov 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

helix457

Hello there. I'm a developer and I want to take up a project that hasn't been updated since 1.4.7. The license is an MIT License and I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do. Does this mean I can modify the project under certain rules? I'm not so sure when it comes to legal terminology. Can it also have the same name?

2. Offline

CraftCreeper6

@helix457
    Re-code, own comments, different package names.

Or easier. Ask the original creator.

timtower likes this.
  3. Offline

helix457

But I can keep the same plugin name and use the same license? Iv'e tried to get in contact with the original creator but he is long gone. (As far as source code, ill make that my own)

4. Offline

CraftCreeper6

@helix457
    You can't keep his name, you can add a + to the end or something, that will avoid most issues. As for the source code, you will want to create your own repository for it.

5. Offline

helix457

Ok. I guess all I have left to ask is, since the code is so outdated as compared with the new API, can't I claim the new one as my own? Especially since I'm basically rewriting the entire thing from scratch w/ my own var names and such... I'll of course add the original persons name as the original author. Would that be alright? I'd just be using the same class name because I always use the same class name as part of the package name.

6. Offline

CraftCreeper6

@helix457
    That should be fine, so long as you add their name in the code somewhere as a comment (Should be on pages that involve his/her code.). I wish you the best of luck!

7. Offline

helix457

Thank you very much for all of your help and explanation and patience!

CraftCreeper6 likes this.
  8. Offline

mbaxter ʇıʞʞnq ɐ sɐɥ ı

I'd suggest waiting until a Curse staffer responds. Back when volunteers ran it, we didn't allow such things because CurseForge/BukkitDev gives you rewards and thus you could just resubmit someone else's project and pull rewards for someone else's work.

Mrs. bwfctower likes this.
  9. Offline

RoboticPlayer

As the license is MIT, you also need to have a copy of the license within your code.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.