Running a Bukkit server without Java as a Path Variable?

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by Zoroark173, Sep 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Zoroark173

Hey Bukkiteers! It's Zoroark173, with another enlightening post!
    Today, I have a real conundrum. I need to run Bukkit without having Java set as a Path variable.
    Most of you right now are probably asking yourselves "Why would you want to do that?" but there is a little bit of a story, so sit down everyone!
    First off, my laptop is crapflakes in a can. A tin-can. A tiny, ugly tin-can. It's fans are completely broken (they don't spin), it's slow, and even a factory reset didn't help it. So I use my mother's "work" laptop that her company provides her(She has a primarily work-from home job). I am trying to get just a little server up and running, so I can start setting stuff up, and building spawn type things, until my brother's nice computer gets fixed (which is currently suffering from a bad HDD, long story). The thing though is, quite a few of my plugins aren't working, because of an Unsupported major.minor version 5.1 error thing, which happened with a plugin before on my old laptop, and was found out out to be that Bukkit was using Java 6, and the plugin had some Java 7 stuffs, so I got that fixed on my ol' laptop but now that I am having this error on my mom's laptop, I can't do anything about it.
    The reason why is because it is a laptop supplied by my mom's work. That may not seem too bad, but their IT guy puts UAC on all of their computers, and locks 90% of the stuff I need/want to be able to do, including CHANGING/ADDING PATH VARIABLES. And since he uses the same password for all of the computer's UACs (smart, huh, isn't that the first internet safety thing you learn, don't use the same password?), he can't tell it to us, nor lift it so that we can't "Install games or mess with it" (but I'm still able to get a Bukkit server running, Gg IT guy).
    So basically, I am stuck with Java 6 as the Path Variable, and can't put it to Java 7, so I was wondering if there is any way I can run a server, and point it to Java 7 without needing to have it as the Path variable.

NOTE: Don't flame me for using my mother's work computer as a server >.>
    PS: If you can run a server from a USB, I'm guessing that using some of the same concepts would apply, amiright?

2. Offline

Scoin0

It would seem you guys have a lot of computer problems. Sorry I just thought it was sort of funny. Sadly I do not know how I could help you though I wish I could.

Can you still run the server with the plugins using Java6? (Just asking)

3. Offline

PolarCraft

Well do you have access to control panel and such? If so follow these steps.

Just change the build path to java 7
    HowTo:

4. Offline

Zoroark173

I'm hungry right now so sorry if I sound a bit cranky
    The plugins were complied using Java 7, and most likeley have some methods in them that exist in Java 7, but not, 6, and if I wanted one that used Java 6, it wouldn't be updated for the proper CB version

Yes, I know how to do that, but like I said, my mother's work has UAC locked pretty much anything, includng changing Path variables.

5. Offline

Bobcat00

TL;DR

I use this command to run 64-bit Java:
    Code:
    "C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin\java.exe" -Xms4096m -Xmx4096m -jar craftbukkit.jar -o true --log-limit 524288 --log-count 10 --log-strip-color

Note the quotes are required.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.