Application RemoteToolkit - Restarts + crash detection + auto saves + remote console!

Discussion in 'Bukkit Tools' started by drdanick, Jan 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

drdanick

Minecraft RemoteToolkit
    -Less downtime, more fun for your players, more power to you!

Are you a Minecraft server administrator? Do you value up-time and stability? Do you fancy the ability to remotely control your server, both in-game and out of game, in a myriad of useful ways from a plethora of different devices?
    If you answered yes to any of the above, then the Minecraft RemoteToolkit is for you!

What the Minecraft RemoteToolkit Plugin and Wrapper do for you:
    • Provides almost perfect server uptime with no need for action from an owner/administrator!
    • Have your server save and restart at any time period with configurable restart warnings!
    • The Toolkit guarantees a restart within the set restart period, even if your server crashes, becomes unresponsive, or encounters a "SEVERE" exception!
    • Remotely control every function of the Toolkit, even from your smart phone!
    • Full remote console access via telnet with support for multiple terminal types!
    • Telnet daemon conforms to current Telnet related RFCs!
    • Customizable alert messages!
    • Fully extendable though 3rd party modules!
    • Full feature set works with most craftbukkit builds!
    • Most features work with any Minecraft server variation, even vanilla!
    • Telnet can be disabled!
    For server administrators
    Download - Release 10, Alpha 15.3 [CB 1.7.2-R0.2] (wget friendly)
    Instructions & Documentation

For developers
    UDP API REV 8 | Documentation
    Module API | Coming soon!

For everyone
    Official IRC channel
    #remotetoolkit @ irc.esper.net

"Help! I've downloaded it, but I do not know how to get it working!"
    Stop! Before you give up or ask for help, make sure you have read the step-by-step installation instructions on the wiki page. If you are still having problems, please do not be hesitant to post a request for help on this thread or in the IRC channel - no matter how simple your problem seems.

Todo

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Any donation would be very much appreciated. I'm but a poor University student, and I sacrifice quite a lot of unpaid time to keep the Toolkit updates and support flowing.

Thank you to the following who have chosen to support the Toolkit through a donation:
    Deren909, marshall007, Vittek, clanslots, meee, KyneSilverhide, szoller, hungoverfurball, Lama_0, Viet, acc1dent, joby890, Liger_XT5

Last edited: May 6, 2017
  2. Offline

drdanick

I'm going to take a shot at getting it done in the next week, during my mid-semester break. May I ask what features you were hoping would be implemented?

3. Offline

EnzoFX

I too am a fan of this plugin, simply because I love the idea of scheduled restarts for performance reasons. Haha, apart from that I'm not sure I'm using it to it's full potential =P.

Right now I am looking for a simple way to schedule backups of the world folder. Maybe this is something that could be integrated into this wrapper? I'm thinking stopping the server, backing up the folder (compressing it to an archive and appending the date to the file?), then starting it back up. This would be a fantastic addition. I had a power outtage the other day and am looking for a way to have the server unaffected if it were to happen again (It corrupted the world =/).

Oh, and what's the difference between Hold server, and force stop? Is one more graceful than the other? haha. This actually leads me to another random thought, what happens when I simply close the command window? Or if I shutdown the computer while it was running? Does it stop the server in a proper way? Or should I be sending .stopwrapper whenever I want to shut the server down?

4. Offline

GmK

I didn't have that problem prior to 617. It definitely only happens when starting with the wrapper - starting with a normal script in a screen session gives me full console access.

wrapper.properties:

Code:
    #Minecraft Remote Toolkit Properties File
    #Fri Mar 11 11:17:32 CET 2011
    minecraft-server-jar=craftbukkit.jar
    severe-exception-detection-level=1
    server-saveall-period=2h
    maximum-heap-size=4480M
    import-properties=false
    server-restart-delay=24h
    restart-on-severe-exception=false
    server-arguments=nogui
    overridden-process-arguments=
    server-restart-alerts=5m,3m,30s
    forced-restart-delay=5m
    initial-heap-size=2048M
    extra-runtime-arguments=-server,-Djline.terminal\=jline.UnsupportedTerminal,-XX\:+UseConcMarkSweepGC,-XX\:ParallelGCThreads\=3,-XX\:+UseParNewGC,-XX\:+CMSParallelRemarkEnabled,-XX\:+DisableExplicitGC,-XX\:MaxGCPauseMillis\=500,-XX\:SurvivorRatio\=16,-XX\:TargetSurvivorRatio\=90,-XX\:+UseAdaptiveGCBoundary,-Xnoclassgc,-XX\:UseSSE\=3

5. Offline

drdanick

Odd. What operating system are you using? Have you tried using a newer bukkit build?

6. Offline

GmK

CentOs 5.5
    I haven't tried a newer build, and currently am not at the liberty to do so - running server, I can't go on trying newer builds which aren't recommended :/ I will get back to you if that test is essential.

7. Offline

Phantom Index

Could you explain with more detail?
    "Open a screen with the command screen and launch the server as normal."

8. Offline

drdanick

When you have logged in to a new SSH session, enter the command: screen

Then just start the server as you usually would. When you open a new SSH session, you will not see your server's console. To do this, enter the command: screen -x

9. Offline

Bobjoeguy

Basically it would be nice to be able to enter commands on my phone and maybe chat with the players while I am away if they are having trouble, not sure if it would be possible, but maybe a way to start it from your phone at any time. Whatever really pops to mind that would be useful, really. Anything would be great, thanks.

10. Offline

drdanick

You should be able to use an existing android telnet client to do that. I may implement one in an Android app in the future, but it would be a lot of work for me to get right.

11. Offline

Nazk

Sorry I didn't read this 21-page post. :'(
    I'd like to know if it's possible to make a cron task with this toolkit ?
    Thank you for your understanding and hope to get some help from one of you !

12. Offline

Racha

This is working on 617?

13. Offline

sharkale

yes! read the post or try yourself.

14. Offline

GmK

@drdanick

We both didn't see the obvious: If you recheck my wrapper.properties you can see that it has the 'nogui' as additional server startup option...and of course, this disabled all console commands.
    Without it, all is fine.

Just weird that it wasn't a problem pre b617.

15. Offline

ronocthede

im wondering if you can make an option to ignore a plugin's SEVERE error message and not restart the server if that plugin fails but restart it if the rest do. :D[creeper]

16. Offline

WindedDragon

When I try to start the server with the wrapper, it does not start the server. All it does is say:

Minecraft Remote Toolkit V1.0_b18_3 ALPHA
    Initializing...
    Loading toolkit properties...Done.
    Loading toolkit modules...Done.
    Wrapper is running on: Windows XP 5.1 x86
    Starting wrapper...
    Starting UDP listen server on port 25561
    Apr 9, 2011 7:34:35 PM net.wimpi.telnetd.net.PortListener run
    INFO: Listening to Port 25,561 with a connectivity queue size of 5.

17. Offline

Mrono

I'm trying to run BTM with this and having trouble, I'm using the wrapper.properties from http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/ad...ll-remote-console-531.674/page-16#post-107198

It loads ok and loads BTM, However no console commands work as well as when I try to use any .commands nothing happens. The ONLY command that works is via UDP packet and that is to force reboot the server. When I load the server without BTM then everything works as expected (except .stopwrapper, that does nada)

Running Bukkit 617 and BTM build 30 for bukkit

18. Offline

valer

Can anyone help me getting the telnet working? I have the wrapper on port 240 however whenever i try to connect I just get a blank screen in putty. It is port forwarded and the web ui works fine. Thanks

19. Offline

Lhjnhnas

When I run the .sh it loads my minecraft server, without any of the plugins installed. Help?

20. Offline

Mrono

I would recommend a higher port, anything that low and the system doesn't generally like it

21. Offline

sharkale

is a problem with windows xp, just wait 5 seconds and press enter.

22. Offline

drdanick

Could you be more specific? What do you want to schedule with cron?

Setting severe-exception-detection-level to 1 will stop the wrapper from restarting the server on SEVERE exceptions unless they are of the type "Unexpected exception". Generally, those are only thrown by the server.

I'll have a look into it. What Operating system are you using?

Unless you're running the server as a superuser, you will not be able to bind ports under 1024. Change the ports to something higher than that.

What is the exact command you're using to start the server?

23. Offline

Lhjnhnas

/home/minecaft/rtoolkit.sh start

24. @drdanick
    My console is doing this again :(
    Would adding a small delay before rebinding possibly fix it? I actually saw the errors show up this time, and the whole block showed up at the same instant. No delay between any of them. Just *blink* and a whole mass of them has appeared! Same setup as before, except running CB670 now.

25. Offline

Nate204

Hey all.

I'm trying to run this with my server.

java -Xms1024M -Xmx2560M -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:parallelGCThreads=5 -XX:+CMSParallelRemarkEnabled -XX:+DisableExplicitGC -XX:MaxGCPauseMillis=500 -XX:SurvivorRatio=16 -XX:TargetSurvivorRatio=90 -jar craftbukkti-0.0.1-SNAPSHOT.jar

I have this in a CronJob scripted to run every 12 hours. It has other commands, but this is what's used to launch my server.~ I have it, because if my server freezes or timesout, Remote Toolkit serves no purpose...

I want to loop them together though, because If I have the CronJob setup to run the toolkit every 12 hours, then I'll be covered on the bases of server freezes (cronjob) and java crashes (toolkit).

I had it working before, but recently I wanted to try and run these flags. I hope they'll increase performance.....just a little tiny bit. I run a 32bit OS with SWAP disabled, because I have 5GB just sitting around collecting dust. I'm able to set the Xmx to 2560 but no higher. I thought 32 bit capped it out at 1.5GB, but it worked...and I didn't see a reason to change it?

Anyway, If anyone has any recommendations, I'd greatly appreciate it!!
    Thanks again!
    - Nate

26. Offline

sharkale

This happend with bad server close. Search in taks adinistrator for java.exe and close them and try open the server again.
    Next time, closes the program properly.

27. Offline

JDD

So I'm wondering if you could possibly see fit to combine this plugin with a couple of others to slim down on how many plugins we would have to run :D I'm sure this has all been requested before in the previous 22 pages but I will request it again.

Requesting the following functionality:
    Scheduled Saves - example of this would be the Simple Save plugin Here
    Scheduled Backups - example of this would be the Backup plugin Here
    Delayed Stop Command - example of this would be the Delayed Stop plugin Here

I would love to simply use just your wrapper to handle all of these functions as well as my scheduled restarts :)

28. This does fix it. Until the server has done a scheduled restart. Then the messages begin flooding again.
    @JDD
    I think the scheduled saves are already in. My map saves every 30 minutes, and it shows up in the chat. And I think scheduled backups are on the todo list.
    I like the idea of the delayed stop. Quite a few times I've just surprise booted some people off my server!

29. Offline

MJRamon

Does it support 617?

30. Offline

Mrono

Windows 7 and server 2008

Note: it works fine before I put in the code to load BTM

31. Offline

Dusi

Everytime I try to use the /restartsrv <user> <password> command ingame, it says I failed on the password, even though I know I did not

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.