Polite Request to Developers: Please stop mislabeling your plugins.

Discussion in 'BukkitDev Information and Feedback' started by Glompalici0us, Jan 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Glompalici0us

I really don't want to sound whiny (which I know I will fail at but hear me out) but this is really annoying. This message at the moment is specifically towards developers who have plugins that are managing/admin tools, among other things and labeling them as "fun" flooding a category they don't really belong in.

There are probably similar instances on the other categories as well, but I honestly wanted to just go stab a bunch of baby villagers after going through page after page of mislabeled plugins in one subset that I really didn't want to look for more.

I hope I'm not the only one who has noticed this.

Thank you whoever reads and happy new year.

PS: THANK YOU to the developers that do not practice this behavior.

Edit: I apologize if this is in the wrong place. Wasn't sure where to post.

2. Offline

jorisk322

Bukkitdev staff doesn't approve projects with wrong labels. There are still some old plugins with wrong labels though. There's not really anything you can do about that.

ThunderWaffeMC likes this.
  3. Offline

lol768

np98765 has a category reference which may help with this.
    http://np98765.weebly.com/categories.html
    BTW, the get plugins list has all the categories mixed up (or at least it used to, might be fixed now) and this isn't the fault of the developers. BukkitDev is accurate though.

4. Offline

Gravity

Saying that we just don't approve them if they're in the wrong category is not entirely true. I know there are a lot of staff members who do follow this religiously, but it actually slows down the approval process a bunch to try and do that. If we have to go investigate and read/understand the entire project's description instead of quickly scanning it to make sure it's okay and then look at each category to make sure it aligns is really time consuming.

This results in a lot of people getting angry, be it because of long approval time or because they think that category we denied their project for was indeed correct, which then results in us having to deal with a long report process before the project can be corrected and approved, etc etc.

I'd say this is one of those things the community really has to push for. If someone has an incorrect category, ask them to change it or report it. As it is we can't really do that every single time just by ourselves; there's enough security-wise that we already have to do with each project that takes time.

5. Offline

np98765

I'm sorry community. :(

6. Offline

Glompalici0us

I imagine it doesn't mean much since I'm not a prevalent member on here, but I would organize the purple striped yellow polka dotted bejeezes out of things if there's help needed on that front.

7. Offline

jorisk322

Oh, well. That's what happened with my project when I submitted it, so I thought it was standard procedure. I remember being really annoyed, because I copied the categories from another similar project, to be sure they were right :p

8. Offline

obnoxint

Never do that. In 9 of 10 cases you will copy the mistakes of others. It's usually good to ignore all things that appear to be similar.

hawkfalcon, gomeow and np98765 like this.
  9. Offline

jorisk322

I wasn't sure what category would fit, and I didn't know of the guide then, so this seemed like the best option. I remembered being very annoyed, because my project wasn't approved, but I also wasn't told what category WAS right, so I was lucky to guess right the second time.

10. Offline

Codex Arcanum

This, or something similar, ought to be stickied on the plugin submissions forums and linked in the prompt for creating a plugin on BukkitDev.

11. Offline

Gravity

I'll add it to the wiki in just a second.

12. Offline

Codex Arcanum

Honestly, given that significantly fewer people look at the wiki, that is less useful, but OK, thanks :).
    Edit: Derp derp. Meant to say significantly fewer.

13. Offline

Gravity

I don't understand. Significantly people look at the wiki? But it's less useful. The wiki is where the official BukkitDev guidelines resides. So that's where this should be.

14. Offline

chaseoes

I would totally look at it more if it was named "Wiki" and not "Docs".

15. Offline

Codex Arcanum

I'm sorry, that was completely nonsensical. I meant to say significantly fewer, I swear. I feel that placing a link next to the place where you select the categories for a new plugin on BukkitDev would be better than placing it on the wiki, but it is not a huge deal.

drtshock likes this.
  16. Offline

np98765

I'd add that to the wiki, but I don't believe I have access (I've been meaning to talk to resba for awhile). Well, that tag will do. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.