Solved Plugin works but there is a ERROR IN THE CONSLE!

Discussion in 'Plugin Development' started by phantomcut3, Jan 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

phantomcut3

This is the plugin and i removed all the little details so nobody copies it.
    the plugin works but when i place a block thats not in the block changing cycle i get a error msg.

@EventHandler
    public void onInteract(PlayerInteractEvent e) {
    Player p = e.getPlayer();
    if(events.containsKey(p)) {
    if (events.get(p) == 1) {
    if (p.getInventory().getItemInHand() == null) {
    e.setCancelled(true);
    }
    if (p.getInventory().getItemInHand().getType() == Material.) {
    if (e.getAction() == Action.RIGHT_CLICK_AIR || e.getAction() == Action.RIGHT_CLICK_BLOCK){
    events.remove(p);

}
    }
    }
    }
    else {
    if(!events.containsKey(p)) {
    e.setCancelled(true);
    }
    if (e.getAction() == Action.RIGHT_CLICK_AIR || e.getAction() == Action.RIGHT_CLICK_BLOCK) {
    events.put(p, 1);
    }
    }
    }
    }
    }

@EventHandler
    public void BlockPlace(BlockPlaceEvent e) {
    Material block = e.getBlock().getType();
    for(Material blocked : banList) {
    if(blocked == block) {
    e.getBlock().setType(Material.AIR);
    e.setCancelled(true);;
    }
    e.getBlock().setType(Material.); {
    blockPlaces++;
    if(blockPlaces >= 10){
    blockPlaces = 0;
    events.remove(p);
    }

So the error msg is this

[09:02:39 ERROR]: Could not pass event BlockPlaceEvent to ButterEater v1
    org.bukkit.event.EventException
    at org.bukkit.plugin.java.JavaPluginLoader$1.execute(JavaPluginLoader.java:427) ~[craftbukkit.jar:git-Bukkit-1.7.2-R0.2-b2974jnks]
    at org.bukkit.plugin.RegisteredListener.callEvent(RegisteredListener.java:62) ~[craftbukkit.jar:git-Bukkit-1.7.2-R0.2-b2974jnks]
    at org.bukkit.plugin.SimplePluginManager.fireEvent(SimplePluginManager.java:481) [craftbukkit.jar:git-Bukkit-1.7.2-R0.2-b2974jnks]
    at org.bukkit.plugin.SimplePluginManager.callEvent(SimplePluginManager.java:466) [craftbukkit.jar:git-Bukkit-1.7.2-R0.2-b2974jnks]
    at org.bukkit.craftbukkit.v1_7_R1.event.CraftEventFactory.callBlockPlaceEvent(CraftEventFactory.java:113) [craftbukkit.jar:git-Bukkit-1.7.2-R0.2-b2974jnks]
    at net.minecraft.server.v1_7_R1.ItemBlock.processBlockPlace(ItemBlock.java:88) [craftbukkit.jar:git-Bukkit-1.7.2-R0.2-b2974jnks]
    at net.minecraft.server.v1_7_R1.ItemBlock.interactWith(ItemBlock.java:72) [craftbukkit.jar:git-Bukkit-1.7.2-R0.2-b2974jnks]
    at net.minecraft.server.v1_7_R1.ItemStack.placeItem(ItemStack.java:78) [craftbukkit.jar:git-Bukkit-1.7.2-R0.2-b2974jnks]
    at net.minecraft.server.v1_7_R1.PlayerInteractManager.interact(PlayerInteractManager.java:390) [craftbukkit.jar:git-Bukkit-1.7.2-R0.2-b2974jnks]
    at net.minecraft.server.v1_7_R1.PlayerConnection.a(PlayerConnection.java:628) [craftbukkit.jar:git-Bukkit-1.7.2-R0.2-b2974jnks]
    at net.minecraft.server.v1_7_R1.PacketPlayInBlockPlace.a(SourceFile:60) [craftbukkit.jar:git-Bukkit-1.7.2-R0.2-b2974jnks]
    at net.minecraft.server.v1_7_R1.PacketPlayInBlockPlace.handle(SourceFile:9) [craftbukkit.jar:git-Bukkit-1.7.2-R0.2-b2974jnks]
    at net.minecraft.server.v1_7_R1.NetworkManager.a(NetworkManager.java:146) [craftbukkit.jar:git-Bukkit-1.7.2-R0.2-b2974jnks]
    at net.minecraft.server.v1_7_R1.ServerConnection.c(SourceFile:134) [craftbukkit.jar:git-Bukkit-1.7.2-R0.2-b2974jnks]
    at net.minecraft.server.v1_7_R1.MinecraftServer.u(MinecraftServer.java:655) [craftbukkit.jar:git-Bukkit-1.7.2-R0.2-b2974jnks]
    at net.minecraft.server.v1_7_R1.DedicatedServer.u(DedicatedServer.java:250) [craftbukkit.jar:git-Bukkit-1.7.2-R0.2-b2974jnks]
    at net.minecraft.server.v1_7_R1.MinecraftServer.t(MinecraftServer.java:545) [craftbukkit.jar:git-Bukkit-1.7.2-R0.2-b2974jnks]
    at net.minecraft.server.v1_7_R1.MinecraftServer.run(MinecraftServer.java:457) [craftbukkit.jar:git-Bukkit-1.7.2-R0.2-b2974jnks]
    at net.minecraft.server.v1_7_R1.ThreadServerApplication.run(SourceFile:617) [craftbukkit.jar:git-Bukkit-1.7.2-R0.2-b2974jnks]
    Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
    at me.OMGUFB.ButterEater.Main.BlockPlace(Main.java:86) ~[?:?]
    at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor13.invoke(Unknown Source) ~[?:?]
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25) ~[?:1.6.0_65]
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597) ~[?:1.6.0_65]
    at org.bukkit.plugin.java.JavaPluginLoader$1.execute(JavaPluginLoader.java:425) ~[craftbukkit.jar:git-Bukkit-1.7.2-R0.2-b2974jnks]
    ... 18 more
    >

Thanks!

2. Offline

AmShaegar

Which line is line 86 of your Main class? There is a Null Pointer Exception.

3. Offline

phantomcut3

4. Offline

AmShaegar

Well, then it's obvious, that
    Code:
    events == null

5. Offline

NoLiver92

phantomcut3 For future note: your coding text is tooo small and hard to read, please use the coding blocks or make it bigger and clear.

6. Offline

phantomcut3

@amShaeger
    kk so the hash map "Events" is null so how would i go about fixing that

AmShaegar

Ok so I add events == null

where do i add that in the coding?

NoLiver92

Where should i put

events == null

and sorry about the code being small if you can't read
    i can re post it

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  7. Offline

NoLiver92

Its not for you to put in your code!!!! The (i assume) HashMap called events is null e.g the value you are getting does not exist in the hashmap.

How much experience do you have in coding java and bukkit?

8. Offline

phantomcut3

NoLiver92

I apologize for i am not as experienced as you, and I still need to learn.
    So if i may ask how to i make the value exist?

9. Offline

NoLiver92

phantomcut3
    Ok firstly, before i can answer i need to know what the events hashmap is doing in your code.

Looking at your code snipit above all i can ever see is a value of 1 which you are checking for. what are you using the hashmap to do in your plugin?

10. Offline

Ytry

Making the error 'go away' would be as simple as
    Code:java
    1. if ( events != null )
    2. {
    3. // code goes here
    4. }

However I am not sure that is what you want because that error is telling you that the value is null. So any code you put in that if statement will never be run unless you make the hash map not null. I can't offer any insight as to how to do this unless you provide more information such as what you are using it for.

11. Offline

phantomcut3

NoLiver92
    Ytry

I am basically using hashMaps, so if this event dose not have the key don't do it. and it gets the key by completing the first event. But i am sure the code will make more sense then me.
    Here is the code:

Code:
    public class Main extends JavaPlugin implements Listener {

public static Material[] banList = {Material.DRAGON_EGG};

public HashMap<Player, Integer> events = new HashMap<Player, Integer>();

public int blockPlaces = 0;
        public int blockBroke = 0;

@Override
        public void onEnable() {
            Bukkit.getServer().getLogger().info("ButterEater" + this.getDescription().getVersion() + " has been enabled!");
            PluginManager pm = Bukkit.getPluginManager();
            pm.registerEvents(this, this);
        }

@Override
          public void onDisable() {
                        Bukkit.getServer().getLogger().info("ButterEater" + this.getDescription().getVersion() + " has been disabled!");
                }

@EventHandler
    public void onInteract(PlayerInteractEvent e) {
    if(events.containsKey(p)) {
        e.setCancelled(true);
    }
    if (e.getAction() == Action.RIGHT_CLICK_AIR || e.getAction() == Action.RIGHT_CLICK_BLOCK){
    events.remove(p);

}
    }
    }                 
    }
    else {
    if(!events.containsKey(p)) {
            e.setCancelled(true);
    }
    if (e.getAction() == Action.RIGHT_CLICK_AIR || e.getAction() == Action.RIGHT_CLICK_BLOCK) {
    events.put(p, 1);
    }
    }
    }
    }
    }

@EventHandler
            if(blocked == block) {
                        e.setCancelled(true);;
            }
    if(blockPlaces >= 10){
    blockPlaces = 0; 
    events.remove(p);
    }

}
    }
    }
    }

12. Offline

NoLiver92

phantomcut3 Summary: you want to make sure that a player can only complete the events in a certain order?

for example:
    clicked a certain block -> place 1 block

but you dont want the player to click twice or place a block twice

is this correct?

13. Offline

phantomcut3

NoLiver92

Yes they need to be completed in a certain order and when the hash map cycle is completed players are removed from the has map. So they can complete the cycle again. To answer the second part, they should not be able to click on the same thing twice, (lets say they could either click on a apple or a carrot, and clicking the apple would active the events and clicking the carrot would cancel the events, but you couldn't use the apple twice because you we need to use the carrot to cancel the event first). They can infact place a block twice, as you can see in the code (code B), until
    they use place the block x times (in this case 10) then they are removed for the Hashmaps so the second event will do nothing for them unless they activate the first event as you can see in (code A)

Code A
    Code:
    if(blockPlaces >= 10){
    blockPlaces = 0;
    events.remove(p)
    Code B
    Code:
    @EventHandler
            if(blocked == block) {
                        e.setCancelled(true);;
            }
    if(blockPlaces >= 10){
    blockPlaces = 0;
    events.remove(p);

14. Offline

NoLiver92

ok then can i suggest this hashmap config: HashMap<String, Integer>

the string is the players name and the integer is the event.

apple would put the value 1 under the players name and carrot would place 2.

then when getting the value: events.get(playername), and this will give you the event number, then to clear them set their name to null or set a value like 0

15. Offline

phantomcut3

NoLiver92

kk thanks i am going to rewrite it

@NoLiver92

So if i wanted to add a key to them i would do

Code:
    events.put(p.getDisplayName(), 1);

And then to remove them I would do

Code:
    events.remove(p.getDisplayName());

and instead of

(events.containsKey(p())

I would do?

(events.containsKey(p.getDisplayName()))

?

NoLiver92

For some reasons the tag didn't work in the post above

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

16. Offline

beastman3226

Holy Jesus! Do none of you know what you are doing? It is quite obvious what is going wrong, the entry 'p.getName()' does not exist. I would use p.getName() when adding anything to any generic (HashMap, HashSet, ArrayList, etc) because it is final and will never change. To fix your problem check to see if the entry exists or not by using
    Code:java
    1. if (HashMap.contains(p.getName())){//other code logic
    2. }

To add just use the put method and to return the integer value use the get method. Very truthfully generics are a bit tricky especially to someone who has no idea what they are doing.
    I would suggest reading Head First Java (or any book in the Head First series) it is very short and can be read extremely quickly especially for anyone who is interested in programming.

17. Offline

NoLiver92

phantomcut3 no p.getName() always, never do display name as it can be changed by other plugins, the players "name" is the username they login with and will never change. but the principle is correct.

Also do not use player in the hashmap use string and put in the players name.

beastman3226 Can you be any more condescending to someone who is trying to learn? yes he made a mistake and should use something else but that comment you made is not needed.

18. Offline

beastman3226

NoLiver92
    I could be much more condescending actually. It gets annoying answering the same questions over and over and over again. Especially when a simple google search on "nullpointerexception", "hashmaps", "could not pass event", or even "bukkit plugin making" would have yielded the same answer and he probably would have learned more that way. Also since you were so quick to jump on me for being condescending you didn't notice that I already said that it is very improper to use the player's display name or custom name.

19. Offline

phantomcut3

NoLiver92

What should i do for

Code:
    events.remove(p);
    events.remove(p.getDisplayName());

or

events.put(p.getDisplayName(), 0)

@NoLiver20

You said to make (carrot 2) and (apple 1) but it needs to be able to reset so why not make it when you use carrot if your value is 1 make it 0 and when you use apple if your value is 0 set it to 1

20. Offline

NoLiver92

phantomcut3

use player.getName NOT player.getDispalyName

and i was using it as an example, you set it to what you want...

21. Offline

phantomcut3

NoLiver92

Lol ik i am being a real pain XD

so change all player.getDisplayName to p.getName

Also should I use events.put(p.getName(), 0); or events.remove(p.getName());

22. Offline

NoLiver92

phantomcut3
    yes to first question

depends, if you remove them you need to check if they are in the hashmap BEFORE you get the value, if you set to 0 then you need to make sure they are in the hashmap when they logged in (playerloginevent)

23. Offline

phantomcut3

NoLiver92
    ok so remove sounds easier

@NoLiver92

OMG yes it worked thank you
    wasn't working after i replaced it to
    events.remove(p.getName());

but then i listened to what you said and added

if(events.containsKey(p.getName())) {

and it worked!

Thank YOU SO MUCH!

You are a miracle worker!

Is there a way I can repay by liking something or following?

NoLiver92

Read the post above!!!!

24. Offline

NoLiver92

phantomcut3 Awesome glad you got it working. I dont mind what you do, im just here to help people and solve my own programming problems

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.