Question my plugin got plagiarised

Discussion in 'General Help' started by MightyOne, Dec 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

MightyOne

Hey guys,

I have this small plugin (actually nothing im really proud of) :
    [devbukkit link]

A few month ago a person asked me, if they could translate the plugin to chinese and upload it on some chinese website. I rejected this idea. Here's the chat:
    messages (open)

chat.png
    (I guess I was a bit frightened so... weird english)

So a few days ago, wonder of wonders, I actually find my plugin copied on this chinese website, they even copied the picture I created for the devbukkit site:
    [chinese website link]

I am not really sure how to react to this.
    The nice thing is, the person provided links to the original website he got the plugin from. I am certain that also some people visited my site.

I am not sure what this chinese website defines as plagiarism. I found a forum entry about plagiarism which roughly translated stated the following:
    definition of plagiarism (open)

Plagiarism Definition
    One of the following conditions is considered plagiarism:
    Reprinted content statement original (this is the old rule)
    There is no description of whether it is original (this is new)
    In other words, the forum now inherits the definition of plagiarism in the academic community: unreported reprints = plagiarism

I would also like to understand what the "Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 unported" states about this kind of plagiarism, under which my plugin is published.

If you could help me to decide what to do further that twould be great.
    Thanks for reading

MightyOne

2. Offline

timtower Administrator Administrator Moderator

@MightyOne Had the same thing, don't know if they have my plugins on there.
    They aren't a good community in that regard.

3. Offline

Zombie_Striker

@MightyOne @timtower
    I don't think it is really plagiarism. The users there don't try to claim that they own the plugin (since they
    show the direct link to Bukkit, which would show it's not the poster), but instead host it there for chinese servers since China censors their internet and may not allow access to Bukkit. I've also had a few of my plugins transferred to that site as well by other users, however they normally need to ask for permission before they can post it.

4. Offline

timtower Administrator Administrator Moderator

@Zombie_Striker The no in the first post was pretty clear though, yet it is there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.