more than 2gb memory gives java heap space error

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by wachnlurn, Jan 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

wachnlurn

I know this question has probably been answered 100 times but i cannot find the info im looking for
    I am starting up a new server with 6GB of ram but anything over 2GB gives me java heap space error and craftbukkit fails to launch. I think the problem may be i am not running 64 bit java.
    I cannot find a way to install 64 bit java if that is indeed the problem, and if i do find it how do i go about uninstalling the java i currently have.

this is the OS
    Code:
    Linux 216 2.6.32-38-generic-pae #83-Ubuntu SMP Wed Jan 4 12:11:13 UTC 2012 i686 GNU/Linux
    this is the java version
    Code:
    root@216:/usr/java# java -version
    java version "1.6.0_20"
    OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea6 1.9.10) (6b20-1.9.10-0ubuntu1~10.04.3)
    OpenJDK Server VM (build 19.0-b09, mixed mode)

2. Offline

TheGoodRobot

yup, the problem certainly is that you're not running 64 bit java. I had the same issue - switched to 64 bit and everything worked. Also, am I reading that wrong, or are you running Java 6 still?

I sadly don't know much about linux, so I can't help you much there. But I installed over the 32 version, and then just switched the path where it searches for the java files from 'Program Files (x86)' to 'Program Files'

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.