Inactive [MECH] RetractableBridge - Easy and realistic retractable bridges

Discussion in 'Inactive/Unsupported Plugins' started by Captain Chaos, Mar 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Captain Chaos

****************************************************************************************
    RetractableBridge moved to BukkitDev!

RetractableBridge has moved to BukkitDev! I will no longer be updating this thread, please use the BukkitDev page to keep track of developments, download the plugin and source code, read how to configure it and other details, etc.
    ****************************************************************************************

RetractableBridge - The easy and realistic retractable bridges plugin:

Build redstone powered rectractable bridges, without using commands! Much requested by the users of my PorteCoulissante plugin. If you know that plugin, this is basically the same thing, but horizontally instead of vertically... :)

Download the latest release from the BukkitDev page.

Features:
    • It doesn't use commands. Just build the bridge and it will work.
    • Stateless, i.e. it does not have to save anything on the server.
    • It's redstone powered, giving you flexibility in controlling it.
    • It is realistic. The bridge does not disappear, but slides in and out just like a real one would.
    • Holds back water or lava... ;)
    • Configurable speed by applying more or less redstone power
    Usage:
    • Build the bridge itself, out of slabs/half-blocks or double slabs.
    • Make sure there is at least one block adjacent to the bridge on three sides, so that it can't move in that direction.
    • For the direction in which you want it to move, make sure there is a block to stop at the distance you want it to move to.
    • Power one of the blocks underneath the bridge with redstone. Please note: you are powering a block underneath the bridge, not the bridge itself! Note that for the purposes of this plugin, just running redstone wire underneath a block will power it.
    • If you power more than one block, the bridge will move faster! Two blocks doubles the speed, and three blocks doubles it once more (so four times as fast as one block).
    • Make sure that when the bridge is fully extended it is still in contact with redstone power underneath. It can be the same blocks, or different ones.
    • When the blocks receive redstone power, the bridge will move to the south or west (depending on which direction it is able to move in), when they lose redstone power, it will move to the north or east.
    • Here is an example. If you build this, it will work. The bridge in this picture is three blocks wide and four blocks long. Note that it only has one powered block, so the bridge will move at its slowest speed:
    [​IMG]

Hints and tips:
    • The bridge has to be at least two blocks long on each side, and it must be rectangular. It can't have holes or bits sticking out. It also can't abut any other blocks of the same height and material (when open or closed), since the plugin will think they are meant to be part of the bridge.
    • I highly recommend to make the distance the bridge can move less than its length. That way, the blocks at the forward edge of the bridge (when it is open) are always in contact with the bridge, so you only have to power one of those blocks.
    • The bridge will go through (and hold back) water and lava, so you can make water gates and water or lava traps with them.
    • The blocks that stop the bridge when it retracts can be steps or stairs. This way you get a smooth walking experience when the bridge is closed, without having to jump, if you are using slabs/half-blocks for the bridge. Here is an example to show what I mean (the bridge is closed in this example, and there are wooden stair blocks on each end):
    [​IMG]

More information:

For download links, source code, configuration information and change logs, please go to the BukkitDev page for RetractableBridge:

http://dev.bukkit.org/server-mods/retractablebridge/

kawa1107, Undrtakr, Xordaii and 8 others like this.
  2. Offline

glow

heemz i understand but could it be possible to add an config to enable ore disable it :)

so the user is free to choose ;)

i like the flying carpet one yes in deed but... i don't like it when they fly in to world guard redions xD

3. Offline

Captain Chaos

It would be pretty complex to implement, it would decrease performance, and take away flexibility (if you turn it off, it would be turned off for everyone on the server). I get where you're coming from, but unless more people ask for it it is unlikely to happen.

4. Offline

glow

Are you planing on Releasing an Elevator version of this plugin ?.

ohw yeah a simple question.. the bridges do they ever stop to move when they are not blocked by Anny structure?.

5. Offline

Captain Chaos

Perhaps some day, but I have no concrete plans.
    Yes, they stop when they reach the end of the loaded chunks, in other words when they are not in the vicinity of any players any more.

6. Offline

glow

hehe thx..
    hehe thx .. i was already wondering about that one :)

if you do create the plugin to create elivators make sure to send me a pm :)

The gate plugin can be used as an elevator but its still not perfect :D

7. Offline

Grey_M62

you could use a name like this one to make it like your other: pont-levis french for drawbridge.

8. Offline

Captain Chaos

Thanks for the tip. However, I only gave PorteCoulissante a French name because Portcullis was already taken. ;)

9. Offline

glow

well i love the plugin :)... hey captain are you working on new prodjects?..

10. Offline

Captain Chaos

I'm mostly working on WorldPainter these days, that's about it currently. But that's quite enough to occupy my time. ;)

11. Offline

glow

intresting i will look in to that one :) shortly

12. Offline

Master_Zangetsu

An example of how the two plugins can be used together

13. Offline

Tulips

lol i use to make castles with this but havn't had this plugin in ages, (castles including portuculles or whatever) using only 1 lever but it was odd 1 needed power 1 didn't so it messed me up, and its limite in width bothered me when i was making (realistic) gates like very massive realistic ones

EDIT: i meant to mainly say how its amazingly rare for a plugin to be set up to date now and starting so early, i think worldguard closed down :( it doesn't work anymore so im going to use bedrock and lava now to keep people away

14. Offline

Captain Chaos

RetractableBridge moved to BukkitDev!

RetractableBridge has moved to BukkitDev! I will no longer be updating this thread, please use the BukkitDev page to keep track of developments, download the plugin and source code, read how to configure it and other details, etc.

15. Offline

Captain Chaos

Legacy downloads removed

Please note: I have removed the legacy download locations for PorteCoulissante and RetractableBridge! They are now only accessible through BukkitDev. This means that any auto updaters you may have been using which don't access BukkitDev directly, such as CraftBukkitUpToDate, will no longer work.

16. Offline

Captain Chaos

Demo server!

Check out the PorteCoulissante and RetractableBridge demo Minecraft server at mc.pepsoft.org. It shows examples of both plugins in use, so you can see what you can do with them, and how you use them.

Note that it is not finished yet! More examples will be added, in particular bare bones examples which clearly show the construction. Also note that you can't change anything or leave the area. Don't go outside at night, it's very dangerous and you don't have any weapons (and the gates don't open from the outside!). Please let me know if you encounter any problems, if the server is full, or if you find any evidence of griefing!

17. Offline

md_5

Long time no see Captain Chaos. You will notice that this thread has now been placed into the Inactive Plugin subforum.
    If you wish to revive this plugin, please ensure that you update and test compatibility with the latest recommended Bukkit build before reporting your original post, asking for it to be moved back to the release forum.

Thanks for your time.
    md_5

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.