Inactive [MECH] RetractableBridge - Easy and realistic retractable bridges

Discussion in 'Inactive/Unsupported Plugins' started by Captain Chaos, Mar 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Captain Chaos

****************************************************************************************
    RetractableBridge moved to BukkitDev!

RetractableBridge has moved to BukkitDev! I will no longer be updating this thread, please use the BukkitDev page to keep track of developments, download the plugin and source code, read how to configure it and other details, etc.
    ****************************************************************************************

RetractableBridge - The easy and realistic retractable bridges plugin:

Build redstone powered rectractable bridges, without using commands! Much requested by the users of my PorteCoulissante plugin. If you know that plugin, this is basically the same thing, but horizontally instead of vertically... :)

Download the latest release from the BukkitDev page.

Features:
    • It doesn't use commands. Just build the bridge and it will work.
    • Stateless, i.e. it does not have to save anything on the server.
    • It's redstone powered, giving you flexibility in controlling it.
    • It is realistic. The bridge does not disappear, but slides in and out just like a real one would.
    • Holds back water or lava... ;)
    • Configurable speed by applying more or less redstone power
    Usage:
    • Build the bridge itself, out of slabs/half-blocks or double slabs.
    • Make sure there is at least one block adjacent to the bridge on three sides, so that it can't move in that direction.
    • For the direction in which you want it to move, make sure there is a block to stop at the distance you want it to move to.
    • Power one of the blocks underneath the bridge with redstone. Please note: you are powering a block underneath the bridge, not the bridge itself! Note that for the purposes of this plugin, just running redstone wire underneath a block will power it.
    • If you power more than one block, the bridge will move faster! Two blocks doubles the speed, and three blocks doubles it once more (so four times as fast as one block).
    • Make sure that when the bridge is fully extended it is still in contact with redstone power underneath. It can be the same blocks, or different ones.
    • When the blocks receive redstone power, the bridge will move to the south or west (depending on which direction it is able to move in), when they lose redstone power, it will move to the north or east.
    • Here is an example. If you build this, it will work. The bridge in this picture is three blocks wide and four blocks long. Note that it only has one powered block, so the bridge will move at its slowest speed:
    [​IMG]

Hints and tips:
    • The bridge has to be at least two blocks long on each side, and it must be rectangular. It can't have holes or bits sticking out. It also can't abut any other blocks of the same height and material (when open or closed), since the plugin will think they are meant to be part of the bridge.
    • I highly recommend to make the distance the bridge can move less than its length. That way, the blocks at the forward edge of the bridge (when it is open) are always in contact with the bridge, so you only have to power one of those blocks.
    • The bridge will go through (and hold back) water and lava, so you can make water gates and water or lava traps with them.
    • The blocks that stop the bridge when it retracts can be steps or stairs. This way you get a smooth walking experience when the bridge is closed, without having to jump, if you are using slabs/half-blocks for the bridge. Here is an example to show what I mean (the bridge is closed in this example, and there are wooden stair blocks on each end):
    [​IMG]

More information:

For download links, source code, configuration information and change logs, please go to the BukkitDev page for RetractableBridge:

http://dev.bukkit.org/server-mods/retractablebridge/

kawa1107, Undrtakr, Xordaii and 8 others like this.
  2. Offline

Captain Chaos

Sounds like it's not a huge problem then. You can use it to make someone's floor fly off into the distance (if it's made of slabs or double slabs, and only constrained on two opposite, or three, sides), but with the amount of engineering it takes it's just as much work to just destroy it with a pick axe or set it on fire ;), and it won't keep moving indefinitely.

But let me know if it becomes problematic and I will look into ways to mitigate the problem.

3. Offline

sephirothtm

sure thing i just hope itll kept up to date so far weve managed to get it workibng on 1.9pre2 without hitches btw not sure how much itll change by the full 1.9 release though ^^ modified the bukkit ofc

4. Offline

pcgames3112

Hi,
    since I've updated from 1.3.7 to 1.3.10 there is an curios bug. Water above bridges doesn't update anymore if they are moved. One of my players built a huge underwater city which could be flooded, but now the water just ceeps floating over the city if the bridge is retracted.

5. Offline

Captain Chaos

That's very odd. Very little changed in those versions, and I can't think of anything that could cause this problem. Are you sure you didn't also update CraftBukkit in between? Or some other plugin?

Is anyone else seeing this?

6. Offline

pcgames3112

i've also updated CraftBukkit from CB 160 to 1185, PorteCullisante, LevelCraft, NoCheat and some others which aren't involed in block changes(eg WroldBorder, OpenInv, ...).
    The config of this plugin isn't changed, but i added glasspanes to the config of PorteCullisante.

7. Offline

Captain Chaos

Well whaddayaknow, it was a bug! I did change something in both PorteCoulissante and RetractableBridge which meant that it didn't do physics updates anymore when moving the portcullis or bridge. I just released a new version of both plugins in which this bug is fixed! Version 1.2.5 for PorteCoulissante and 1.3.11 for RetractableBridge.

Thanks for bringing this problem to my attention!

8. Offline

pcgames3112

Thanks alot! With the two new versions everything works as perfect as before :D

9. Offline

intelnavi

You need to make a youtube video with this in action.

10. Offline

MuttsNuts

Does this support any type of permissions?
    I use Permissions 2.7.4 at the moment and would like to be able to limit usage to certain groups.

Thanks.

11. Offline

Captain Chaos

No, there is no support for permissions, nor is there likely to be in the future.

Do you want to limit usage of the bridges? Or do you want to limit who can create them? The latter is what most people asking for this seem to want, but the stateless design of the plugin makes that impossible, since all you need to do to create a bridge is to put blocks in a certain configuration. There is no command or anything like that to which you could apply permissions.

Another way of putting it is that the bridge is only really created when somebody tries to use it; until then it's just a random collection of blocks that the plugin knows nothing about.

12. Offline

MuttsNuts

Ah I see. Yes that would be quite impossible to limit building with permissions. lol. I may try it anyway as it does look real cool ;)

13. Offline

Captain Chaos

New release!

I just released version 1.3.12 of the plugin, in which a bug is fixed which would create problems if you tried to change the block type of an existing bridge. It would not work until you restarted the server, now that problem should no longer exist.

14. Offline

War2k

hi there i have a suggestion for ya can you make it so the plugins can work with different slabs in combination? say like someone has 3 lines of stone slabs and 2 lines of sandstone on the border for a road and they wanna make a bridge that matches that pattern can you do that?

15. Offline

Captain Chaos

I could, but I won't. It would be bad for performance, since the plugin would have to actually move all the blocks that make up the bridge every time, when now it can just add blocks on the leading edge and remove them on the trailing edge. And also it would increase the number of block configurations which could potentially be a bridge, which would also decrease performance, and make it more likely that things that aren't meant to be a bridge but just happen to look like one would start flying off...

16. Offline

darkcloud784

A video tutorial in the description would be handy for this.

17. Offline

Captain Chaos

I agree, but I have no experience at all making YouTube videos myself. There are quite a few tutorials on YouTube though. Maybe one of these days I'll make some time to make one myself.

18. Offline

darkcloud784

Unfortunately I know nothing about this plugin otherwise I'd make one XD. The directions arent very clear without a visual aid and unfortunately the only way to get a proper visual aid you'd have to have a video XD.

Also I posted a comment on bukkitdev about your gate like mod, the portecollosias or w/e mod. Very cool idea, and works to an extent. Doesnt like to close the gate after being toggled =(.

19. Offline

Captain Chaos

I agree that the directions are a little tricky. But most people seem to manage with the written instructions and the screenshots, and like I said, there are tutorials to be found on YouTube. Do you have a specific question I can help you with?

As regards the PorteCoulissante plugin, as far as I am aware that works fine, not just to an extent. If you build the portcullis correctly it will come down again when you switch off the redstone power. If it's not working right then perhaps you made a mistake in the construction (the most common mistake being that the portcullis is no longer in contact with redstone (via a frame block) when it is raised).

I would reread the instructions and take a good look at the screenshots. If you still can't get it to work properly, paste a screenshot in the PorteCoulissante thread of what you built (from such an angle that all the redstone is clearly visible) and I'll take a look.

20. Offline

darkcloud784

Yea I think I may have made this mistake. I'll take a look - thx =P

21. Offline

Rellac

Unless I'm mistaken, this doesn't support permissions?

If not, could it? :D

22. Offline

Captain Chaos

No it doesn't, and due to its stateless design it would be extremely difficult to add such support. See this post on the previous page of this thread for more details.

23. Offline

BHeiple

If you use PermissionsEX and Modifyworld you can work around the lack of permissions by not allowing certain groups to use redstone dust, switches, etc. Which would make it impossible for them to operate a bridge (or portcullis - saw your post there too).

24. Offline

Captain Chaos

Most people asking for this seem to want to limit who can build bridges though, not who can use them.

25. Offline

BHeiple

Yeah, I've read quite a few of those. What I'm getting at is that if a player cannot place redstone dust/torches, switches, buttons, etc they can build something that looks like a RetractableBridge, but they can't make it work...I guess the way to stop them building bridges would be to stop them from using half slabs, but that's just impractical. Anyway, it's a workaround - far from perfect.
    Ohh and thanks for the great plugins. I use PorteCoulissant in everything I build. Love it. :)

26. Offline

Captain Chaos

Ah, I thought by "use" you meant who can throw switches, etc.. What you said makes more sense. :) But of course that might be a bit too restrictive, as you would not be able to create any redstone circuitry any more...

27. Offline

gamegeared

I dont know if its been stated, but i love this addon for an unconventional use. (same with portcullis elevators) the bridge can be made without a stopping point to create a flying carpet of sorts that people on my server are starting to adopt as an additional form of transport in the normal world and skyrealm making shuttles to travel vast distances. But we have also discovered that it makes for excellent siege equipment for getting on top of the enemy walls where you would otherwise be un-scalable. Siege towers just got way more fun, i have a guy on my serer that is going to shuttle a raiding party onto their walls with this thing. ^_^.

28. Offline

Captain Chaos

Sounds very cool. I wouldn't mind taking a look. ;)

29. Offline

dragon2k18

If your server is a survival server you can the use the configuration to set the bridge block to bedrock. Then the bridge material has to come from someone with admin level permissions or hacking.

I have done a few projects with this plugin. so far i have retractable stairs, retractable wall openings, elevators of two different types. (using the portcullis plugin) a 4 directional tram that covers more than a thousand blocks. One of my favorite is a retractable arch bridge.

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2016
    BHeiple likes this.
  30. Offline

glow

Great plug in ... but is it possible to stop the bridge from flying out of its frame...

because it wont stop flying until its toped by another block..

(adding a check that check if the bridge is moving out of its frame and if its moving out of the frame then its stopped :)

hehe right now this plug in can be used to grief creations.. in server because of the bridges will keep flying

31. Offline

Captain Chaos

It's possible, yes, but I'm not going to. I want you to be as flexible as possible. Some people use the bridges to create flying carpet like transport systems.

glow likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.