[MECH] RedstoneChips 0.97 - Integrated circuits plugin [1.5.1-R0.2]

Discussion in 'Archived: Plugin Releases' started by eisental, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Offline

eisental

RedstoneChips 0.97 / BasicCircuits 0.97 / SensorLibrary 0.34
    (Last update on April 30th, 2013, cb 1.5.1-R0.2)

[​IMG]

Features:
    • Build chips with any number of input and output pins, from compact 2 block chips up to whatever you can imagine.
    • Choose from over 50 different chip types and several 3rd party chip libraries.
    • Most chip types can work with a wide or infinte range of i/o configurations. Sign arguments allow you to customize chip behavior.
    • Chips can communicate through redstone, or directly by touching each other. Some chip types can also communicate over wireless channels.
    • Chips can be built in almost any imaginable structure allowing very compact circuits.
    • Debug and maintain large projects using various tools and commands.
    [​IMG]

[cake] Help me spend more time working on RedstoneChips. Please donate

Circuit libraries made by other people:
    Changelog (open)

RedstoneChips 0.97 (Apr 30th, 2013)
    • Fixed the saving bug on cb 1.5.1.
    • Added an option to disable update checking.
    BasicCircuits 0.96 (Apr 30th, 2013)
    • pixel: Added a maximum distance value preference to prevent lags and server crashes. The max can be changed using/rcprefs pixel.maxDistance x and defaults to 7.
    • sram: Fixed a problem with anonymous memory.
    SensorLibrary 0.34 (Dec 1st, 2012)
    • daytime: Fixed daytime offset bug.

Full changelogs and source code @ github.com:
    RedstoneChips [gunpowder] BasicCircuits [gunpowder] SensorLibrary

DoomLord, Shamebot, Vecht and 6 others like this.
  2. Offline

randeri221

ok ill check it out thx

3. Offline

7eggert

I think the clock display is quite self-explaining: One chip for the minutes, and one for the hours. Each chip has one daytime input and drives two segdrivers (one for each digit). You need to have a clock chip to drive the daytime clock pins and IIRC it drives the clockdisplay clock pins, too. The clockdisplay has one output clock pin, it must be connected to both of it's segdrivers. (I have created the rc_BCD chip which can have two clock pins, one for each segdriver. It should work, but till yesterday I could not use the recommended CB and therefore not test it.)

The segdrivers will drive e.g. a pixel chip. I made my segments using two wool blocks in black (off) and red (on). The segments should not touch because each touching wool block within range will change color.

If you need, I can create a worldedit schematic file of my clock display.

4. Offline

Mordenkainen

So, I am working on some changes that will allow building more compact circuits.

Here is an example of a 7 segment display built using the more compact method:
    Pic1.png

As you can see it's only 4 blocks deep and within these four blocks are 7 pixels, a segdriver with blanking, and a 6 bit receiver.

Of course, you can't build it this way yet, but perhaps a future version of RedstoneChips will support it. I am running a custom version.

Morden.

Also, if you look a little further back in the thread, eisental already posted a schematic for a 7-seg display

To save you the trouble of looking for it:

http://eisental.github.com/RedstoneChips/schematics/rc-segdisplay4x7x11.schematic

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2016
  5. Offline

7eggert

While testing my rc_BCD plugin, I just discovered that the daytime chip does provide the option to output the tens and ones digits only, so at least for realtime displays and both minute displays, you don't need a ClockDisplay chip anymore.

For gametime hours (needing an offset of 6 and a modulo of 12 or 24), you can use either the original ClockDisplay or my rc_BCD chip (which gives you a second clock output pin).

6. Offline

AterIgnis

Have an idea for some time. Maybe it is good to add option to circuits to make chip->chip gates with some other output block material or some advanced logic on gold-iron blocks side-by-side, so output from chip does not involve redstone levers and wires, but goes to other chip logic directly, that makes it possible to do things like clocks and others in one place and using their output via 'wifi' in other place without need to have all the logic loaded with corresponding chunks: circuits themselves are loaded to memory all the time, they can interact with each other and 'wifi' and not always do they need to trigger anything in world, so they may work silently in memory without their chunks loaded.

7. Offline

Mordenkainen

That is the long term goal of all the work I have been doing for sharing blocks. At the moment, it still only works if the chunk is loaded, but in the long run my goal is to have circuits that can run even if the chunk is not loaded as long as their input/output is wireless. The sharing needed to be worked out first because a block that is an input for one chip and an output for another is inherently shared by both those chips. If you look at my picture posted above, you will see that my special I/O block is a furnace, but currently they still need levers on them.

I chose furnace because it has no redstone interaction, and is directional, so can indicate which is input and which is output.

8. Offline

AterIgnis

So your idea is making block which is input and output at the same time, and i thought of making same iron-gold or such pairs. For example take diamond blocks as 'direct outputs', they are stored like plain outputs but for example also stored in other array, that way if circuit wants to send output it checks if it is in direct-outputs-array and if it is - gets inputs which touch that output (that is easy) and call redstoneChange() on corresponding chip's inputs. That way you can have many-to-one, one-to-many and many-to-many pairs of input-output, because each i/o can have 5 neighbours, and also you can make i/o without spacing needed for redstone to not short-circuit.

9. Offline

Mordenkainen

Well, a large part of what I am doing is also to reduce size, so I am trying to avoid any solution that requires more then one block to link the chips. what you describe above still requires an output block and an input block, so doesn't reduce the size any.

Right now the way it is set up is that an I/O pin can have up to two inputs and four outputs, which is determined by the direction the block is facing. This is why I used furnaces, which can be placed to face in any given direction.

Baby steps.... Trying to get the code to handle communication between chips without redstone would complicate the code a lot in it's current state. There are some assumptions made that need to be changed before this can work.

10. Offline

AterIgnis

Hmmm, allright, my idea does not make size alot smaller, but still it makes levers and redstone unneeded, and logic to make it is pretty easy and can be made in Tal's code without need of multiple-circuits-per-block as i described above.

11. Offline

Mordenkainen

Well, so will this, eventually.

Two birds with one stone and all of that.

12. Offline

AterIgnis

BTW, we can make both of this implementations and let Eisental decide which one or both to take.

13. Offline

Mordenkainen

Of course....

But I think you need to truly understand the utility of what I am working on.

This will change the concept of what a "pin" is. In essence, each pin on a chip will be it's own entity with it's own behaviors...

With this we could have pins that do things like:
    - Shared input/output pins, requiring no redstone.
    - Pins that function as wireless transmitters and receivers without needing an actual transmitter or receiver chip (this would allow you to make ANY chip wireless just by using the appropriate input/output block.
    - Pins with just about any behavior. (Implicit OR, Shoot lightning, Cause explosions, whatever)

And while we both could work on different implementations, why? I'm almost done, and it's likely that the fix will be ready before Tal makes a new release. Why would you do something that is just a small subset of something someone else is doing... More I could understand, but less?

14. Offline

AterIgnis

Hmmm, allright, lets stick to your variant, just while it is unreleased I'll use mine, it is 10minutes of coding. BTW i want to have your permissions also but havent managed how i can apply them to my repository from yours, so waiting for Tal's release.

15. Offline

7eggert

While you're at it, you could make it possible to include e.g. a pixel driver (or similar chips) into an other chip by placing a sign on each interface pin (or the first pin only, see below). E.g. Id make a segment driver using lapis blocks instead of gold blocks and instead of creating a complete pixel display, I'd put the sign on the interface block. RC would recognize the sign and create a compound chip containing one segment driver (with virtual output blocks) and seven connected pixel clocks (with the interface block).
    If I'd want e.g. a transmitter chip connected to another chip like that, I'd need a different kind of output block, since the transmitter does not expect to have an interface block. Let's say I configure orange wool to be this kind of output pin. If I want to transmit the output of the segment driver, I'd put the orange wool instead of the gold blocks + switches and slap the transmitter signs to the wool.

Off cause I might want to connect individual output groups to several input groups, e.g. some n-bit transmitters or pixel drivers (ignoring the need of a clock pin here). I'd do this by placing the transmitter signs on the first pin of each output group I have in mind and leave the second to nth pin without a sign. On the n+th pin, I'll put the sign to start the next chip. (Obviously this will limit the groups to a sequential range of output pins.)
    (Edith says I should type faster. It sounds like Mordenkainen just did it minus the multi-pin thing)

16. Offline

Mordenkainen

Well, what I'm doing is still not quite that.

You will still need a chip block on the pixel, the way chips are structured makes it difficult to change that. Also, while completely "virtual" circuits, like the implied segdriver may be possible, they would also be difficult. RC is very much oriented at the concept that circuits have a "real-world" presence.

With what I am working on, it would be more like, build the pixel chip like normal, then elsewhere build the segdriver, but instead of gold blocks for outputs you use a different block, that indicates that this output should wirelessly transmit on the channel/bit needed by the pixel (via a sign or some other mechanism). Or, you could build the transmitter as well, but use the I/O blocks to connect the transmitter to the segdriver (saving you one block of width, and one of height).

I have thought about what it would take to have "virtual" chips, and while I like the idea, it is a big change I think. One of the things I was thinking about for the future was the ability to build a complex circuit, and then name and save it. Then you could build a chip with the same number of inputs/outputs/interface blocks as the complex circuit, and the chip would function as if a virtual version of the entire circuit was in it's place.

17. Offline

7eggert

I was thinking about the "output pin does foo" part, where foo would be my pixel chip, the glowstone light switch or simply the transmitter. Having these features, there would be no need to integrate a different chip into output pins.
    While I wrote my text, I imagined the redstone chip scanner to test for signs on interface blocks. If it would find one such sign, it would not create the chip as described on the on-chip sign, but instead pass it (and all slave chips) to a meta-chip. This meta-chip would drive the real IO pins and instantiate each of the requested chips using a subclassed Circuit class. This subclassed Circuit would pass the i/o changes from/to the meta-chip instead of from/to i/o blocks and the meta-chip would pass the state changes around.
    Looking at the source, this obviously would currently not work., since currently the Circuit class is not passed to, but subclassed in the chip implementation. Maybe creating a redstone-chip-world with e.g. y = world-number, x = chip-ID and z = pin-ID would do the trick, but like I said, your all-purpose output pins would do 99 % without being a hack.
    I have an idea to create multi-output-pins, too: Write "42:mypintype" on a pin and you'll get a 42-bit output pin. (A n-bit pixel pin might set different colors etc.).

PS: I like your virtual chips idea. I hope it works out.

18. Offline

AterIgnis

BTW, mine version of compact segdrived numerical display:
    2011-08-19_05.00.01.jpg 2011-08-19_05.00.14.jpg 2011-08-19_05.00.22.jpg
    It is 5 and a half blocks wide (5n+1 for row of such digits), 4 depth. Bottom iron blocks (which are on ground) are data input, one with button is clock input.

19. Offline

randeri221

i need to know which transmitter to put on which place of the clock
    thats my problem where to put the receivers.....
    so it would be awsome if someone can send me 2 pics one of the receivers and one of the transmitters so i can know
    thx anyway :D

20. Offline

7eggert

The clock needs to be connected to two segdrivers as decribed here:
    http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/me...al-clock-library-for-redstonechips-860.11206/
    (I used a transmitter next to the first segdriver to send the clock to the second segdriver. (Don't confuse the clock output with the ClockDisplay chip. The clock in/output is a trigger saying "you may process the other input pins now"))

The segdriver´s outputs are connected as decribed here:
    http://eisental.github.com/RedstoneChips/circuitdocs/Segdriver.html

21. Offline

AterIgnis

segdrivers do return 7 outputs, which must be applied counterclockwise if facing from behind of display: 2011-08-19_18.40.38.jpg
    so for example receivers would be 'receiver somechannel:id' where id equals to id on image, and transmitter must just have same amount of inputs as segdriver (plus one first clock input, of course) and transmitter must have same ordering as segdriver in that case.

22. Offline

randeri221

dude u still didnt understood what i want....
    i need to know which lever in the segdrivers goes to which segment in te clock.....

23. Offline

7eggert

24. Offline

belboz

Love the plugin, just starting to play with it.

One suggestion (and I apologize if it has been mentioned already or is already possible, as I haven't read all the comments on here).

1) Can you add it so that maybe the third line of the sign gives you the options to negate the input and or be able to negate the output of the circuit? For example we had a few signals that needed to be inverted before using them. So instead of using a NOT gate or a NOT with redstone, we could just negate the output from a circuit that was driving them (or negate the input down the line into the input circuit). It would save some extra circuitry being able to negate inputs and outputs on all circuits where feasible.

25. You'll have to specify which circuit to want to negate. Several circuits have more than just one line of configuration.

26. Offline

belboz

In our case tonight it was a delay IC we were using, but we needed to negate the output. Is it possible now? Or something that would have to be added?

I wasn't sure if you could say something like NI1, NO2, NI3, etc to negate input 1, output 2, input 3, etc. Or something like that.

27. Offline

7eggert

Mordenkainen is working on all-purpose output pins. See above in this thread.

28. Offline

Mordenkainen

Hmmmm. An inverting output (or input) is not something I had considered, but once the framework is in place shouldn't be difficult to implement.

It wouldn't be done with a sign argument though, it would be a different pin block material. This would indicate to the chip that the pin is inverted. So for example using a green wool block instead of an iron block.

I'll put it on the todo list.

I want to avoid involving more signs (or sign arguments) whenever possible. I know eisental wants to keep sign stuff to a minimum, due to the complexity it adds to the code.

29. Offline

Fireswords42

i Need help every time i try your video(Minecraft sequencer built with RedstoneChips) on the note block and synth my command prompt for my server gets this message(and it keeps repeating itself):

at org.bukkit.craftbukkit.block.CraftBlock.setData(CraftBlock.java:57)
    at org.tal.redstonechips.circuit.Circuit.changeLeverState(Circuit.java:2
    49)
    at org.tal.redstonechips.circuit.Circuit.sendOutput(Circuit.java:241)
    at org.tal.redstonechips.circuit.Circuit.sendBitSet(Circuit.java:277)
    at org.tal.basiccircuits.receiver.receive(receiver.java:57)
    at org.tal.redstonechips.channels.BroadcastChannel.transmitToReceiver(Br
    oadcastChannel.java:144)
    at org.tal.redstonechips.channels.BroadcastChannel.transmit(BroadcastCha
    nnel.java:130)
    at org.tal.basiccircuits.transmitter.transmit(transmitter.java:28)
    at org.tal.basiccircuits.transmitter.inputChange(transmitter.java:18)
    at org.tal.redstonechips.circuit.Circuit.redstoneChange(Circuit.java:160
    )
    at org.tal.redstonechips.CircuitManager.redstoneChange(CircuitManager.ja
    va:70)
    at org.tal.redstonechips.RedstoneChips$2.onBlockRedstoneChange(RedstoneC
    hips.java:157)
    at org.bukkit.plugin.java.JavaPluginLoader$35.execute(JavaPluginLoader.j
    ava:483)
    at org.bukkit.plugin.RegisteredListener.callEvent(RegisteredListener.jav
    a:58)
    at org.bukkit.plugin.SimplePluginManager.callEvent(SimplePluginManager.j
    ava:338)
    at net.minecraft.server.BlockRedstoneWire.a(BlockRedstoneWire.java:110)
    at net.minecraft.server.BlockRedstoneWire.g(BlockRedstoneWire.java:41)
    at net.minecraft.server.BlockRedstoneWire.doPhysics(BlockRedstoneWire.ja
    va:286)
    at net.minecraft.server.World.k(World.java:459)
    at net.minecraft.server.World.applyPhysics(World.java:438)
    at net.minecraft.server.BlockRedstoneWire.g(BlockRedstoneWire.java:49)
    at net.minecraft.server.World.applyPhysics(World.java:434)
    at net.minecraft.server.World.update(World.java:407)
    at net.minecraft.server.World.setData(World.java:349)
    49)
    at org.tal.redstonechips.circuit.Circuit.sendBitSet(Circuit.java:288)
    at org.tal.basiccircuits.clock.access$1200(clock.java:13)
    at org.tal.basiccircuits.clock$TickTask.tick(clock.java:183)
    at org.tal.basiccircuits.clock$TickTask.run(clock.java:147)
    at org.bukkit.craftbukkit.scheduler.CraftScheduler.mainThreadHeartbeat(C
    raftScheduler.java:137)
    at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.h(MinecraftServer.java:428)
    at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.run(MinecraftServer.java:363)
    at net.minecraft.server.ThreadServerApplication.run(SourceFile:422)
    08:47:13 [SEVERE] Could not pass event REDSTONE_CHANGE to RedstoneChips
    java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: org.bukkit.block.NoteBlock.setNote(B)V
    at org.tal.basiccircuits.synth.tryToPlay(synth.java:99)
    at org.tal.basiccircuits.synth.playNote(synth.java:87)
    at org.tal.basiccircuits.synth.inputChange(synth.java:28)
    )
    49)
    )
    49)
    08:47:14 [SEVERE] Could not pass event REDSTONE_CHANGE to RedstoneChips
    )
    49)
    )
    49)
    08:47:15 [SEVERE] Could not pass event REDSTONE_CHANGE to RedstoneChips
    )
    49)
    )
    49)

Please Help! =) Thank you

P.S. i am using RedstoneChips 0.9 , BasicCircuits 0.9, SensorLibrary 0.25 and, ClockDisplay

All latest versions.
    >

30. Offline

AterIgnis

That means your version of bukkit is not the one RC was built for, some time ago setNode was changed to setRawNode so you need older bukkit or newer RC, but official RC has no newer version only some custom side branches like mine, so you wait for new version or get those.

31. Offline

Fireswords42

Oh ok. I have the newest version of bukkit ,1063, and if i downgrade bukkit it isn't compatible with my 1.7.3 minecraft( and neither is my RC). So what can i do?