Inactive [MECH] PorteCoulissante - Easy and realistic portcullises

Discussion in 'Inactive/Unsupported Plugins' started by Captain Chaos, Mar 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Captain Chaos

****************************************************************************************
    PorteCoulissante moved to BukkitDev!

PorteCoulissante has moved to BukkitDev! I will no longer be updating this thread, please use the BukkitDev page to keep track of developments, download the plugin and source code, read how to configure it and other details, etc.
    ****************************************************************************************

PorteCoulissante - The easy and realistic portcullis plugin:

Build redstone powered portcullises, without using commands! This is my first ever Minecraft plugin, so please be gentle! I needed a project for my first plugin, and I've always wanted a working portcullis in my town gate, so I decided to write this. I subsequently discovered that there already is a portcullis plugin (which is why I named mine after the French word that the word portcullis was derived from), but I think mine has enough distinguishing features to be useful.

Download the latest release from the BukkitDev page.

Also check out the new sister plugin, RetractableBridge, which does basically the same thing, only horizontally.

Features:
    • It doesn't use commands. Just build the portcullis and it will work.
    • Stateless, i.e. it does not have to save anything on the server.
    • It's redstone powered, giving you flexibility in controlling it.
    • It is realistic. The portcullis does not disappear, but moves up and down just like a real one would.
    Usage:
    • Build the portcullis itself by stacking rows of fences (wood or iron), at least two wide and two high.
    • Build the wall around it to contain it. Leave enough empty space above the portcullis to allow it to go as high as you want it to go.
    • Power the portcullis by powering one of the blocks adjacent to it on either side, by attaching a lever or redstone dust. For now, the power has to come from the side.
    • The result should look something like this:
    [​IMG]
    • When the block is powered, the portcullis will start moving upwards, and will keep going until it hits something and can't go any further. It moves slowly, since a portcullis is heavy!
    • Important: make sure that when it is in the up position, it is still in contact with a powered block (the same one, or a different one).
    • When the power goes off, the portcullis will drop down (a lot faster than it went up).
    • Decorate the gate by building walls in front of and behind the portcullis to cover the empty space and to make it appear the portcullis is moving in a groove. Of course you can make it look any way you want! Here is an example:
    [​IMG]

Hints and tips:
    • The portcullis can be any size you want, as long as it is at least two blocks wide and two blocks high. It must be rectangular though, and have no holes. If the portcullis breaks, it won't move any more until you repair it.
    • Try to make the empty space above the portcullis one block less high than the portcullis itself (like in the first picture above). That way, you only need to power one block (the one in the middle on either side), since that block will always be in contact with the portcullis.
    • Of course the empty space can be even smaller, if you want. The portcullis only has to go up two blocks to let people through, or three if you want the passage to be a little less claustrophobic.
    • The portcullis will go through (and hold back) water and lava, so you can make water gates and water or lava traps with them.
    More information:

For download links, source code, configuration information and change logs, please see the BukkitDev page:

http://dev.bukkit.org/server-mods/portecoulissante/

2. Offline

Markk

This was a really cool plugin! Thanks alot, I love it. :D

3. Offline

ChrisX930

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaym thanks for the update

4. Offline

Greylocke

I jumped straight from Raphfrk's updated bukkit (I cannot remember which build it was) to 552. [552] has the getblock() patch which seemed to fix the 'stuck in the up position' problem. I've never seen an issue where the gate will just not move that wasn't a redstone/user issue. I've got a player who uses this as his main entry/exit on his compound, so I think I'd hear about it if there were problems. Also, I've still got my gate test area cycling every 11 seconds and it is working just fine.

I'd suggest doing some basic troubleshooting -- turn off all plugins, and add them back in one-by-one until the problem surfaces. It is tedious, especially for an intermittent issue, but sometimes it is all you can do.

5. Offline

Captain Chaos

Alright, due to popular demand I've changed the name of the jar file, and added support for the CraftBukkitUpToDate plugin. The jar file is now called PorteCoulissante.jar, so you can no longer tell which version it is from the file name, but you can open it and look in the META-INF/MANIFEST.MF file, or the plugin.yml file, to see the version number.

Shenlong and Marshton like this.
  6. Offline

Marshton

That's awesome! Thanks man!

Edit: However, as Craftbukkituptodate only supports .jar files and you gave them a zip file, it always redownloads the zip. Please give the guy a .jar version only :D

Then this will be AWESOME :D

7. Offline

Captain Chaos

According to the maker of that plugin a zip file should work too. I'll ask him about it.

8. Offline

Shenlong

Zip files work, but a direct link to the .jar file works better. Either way works for me though. Thanks for the awesome plugin and the support!

9. Offline

xGhOsTkiLLeRx

Hey,

can you keep this link, as a permanent download link?
    Because, then it's possible to add your plugin to

CraftBukkitUpToDate :D

Greets

10. Offline

Captain Chaos

It already is... ;)

11. Offline

Infernus

This is one awesome plugin! Installing for sure.

12. Offline

Captain Chaos

I asked the author of CraftBukkitUpToDate, and he says you should update your plugins once, which will update the last modification timestamp, and that it should then work correctly.

If you still have problems, try to take it up directly with NoFear13, the author of CraftBukkitUpToDate. He can help you better than I can. If it does turn out to be a problem with the file I provide, let me know!

Alright, there is a new recommended Bukkit build (# 556) out, which includes the fix for the bug that was causing the sticking portcullises. Everyone should now be able to upgrade to the latest recommended build and the portcullises should work fine. Let me know if you still encounter problems!

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2016
  13. Offline

Marshton

^
    Thanks anyway :) I'll see if that fixes it :p

14. Offline

xorvious

This is one of the most amazing things I have seen in minecraft! Being able to turn my waterfall on and off is amazing, thanks!
    A question, what happens if a player or mob is in the way when it comes down?[​IMG]

15. Offline

Greylocke

the gate stops its cycle whenever it comes in contact with any block that isn't water, air, or lava

16. Offline

Captain Chaos

Nothing, the portcullis will go right through them. :) You can end up right inside the blocks that make up the portcullis, but you don't get stuck, you can just leave in either direction.

(You're right, Greylocke, that it stops when it hits a block that isn't water, air or lava, but of course players and mobs aren't blocks. ;))

17. Offline

mskd_bklndr

First time in a while I've just installed a JAR file and had it work without any further configuration...
    Thanks!
    Works incredibly well, 10 stars!

18. Offline

stavos

Using Bukkit # 531
    When I power the portcullis it goes up fine, but once I remove the red torch or lever it just stays up. Any idea's why it's not going down?

19. Offline

Shenlong

Update to the newest recommended build (556) and that should fix it.

20. Offline

Captain Chaos

Like Shenlong says, you should update Bukkit to the latest recommended build, as there was a nasty bug fixed in it which affects this plugin. However, that may not be your problem. Is the portcullis still adjacent to a redstone powered block when it is in the up position, so that it can notice the redstone going off?

21. Offline

Incendia

what DOES happen to those that get stuck up and have no top...?

I imagine the top of the map filled with orphan portcullis'

22. Offline

Vantz Stockwell

Ok I've updated to 556 and my portcullis goes up like it's supposed to. I turn off redstone and it doesn't come down and there is adjacent redstone any ideas?

//edit **ok I lied the adjacent block wasn't configured properly it works now.

23. Offline

TOAST7312

This plugin is brilliant. I reconstructed my entire massive castle gate specifically because of this plugin.

I must show you
    In the spoilers below are 4 pictures of the gated portcullis' i made thanks to your plugin. Feel free to display them in the OP as examples if you wish, and thanks [cake]:

Show Spoiler

Exterior gate portcullis, closed:
    [​IMG]

Exterior gate portcullis, opened:
    [​IMG]

Interior gate portcullis, closed:
    [​IMG]

Interior gate portcullis, opened:
    [​IMG]

Peasant: Enter
    [​IMG]

The Grand Gateway:
    [​IMG]

W/ Banners, open:
    [​IMG]

Captain Chaos likes this.
  24. Offline

Captain Chaos

You know, I'm not entirely sure. In theory, if you build a portcullis and raise it while there is nothing above it to stop it, it will keep going until it reaches the top of the map. But in reality, whenever I do that, the portcullis seems to vanish in thin air long before it reaches that height. I have no idea why, although it may have had to do with that bug that got fixed (in which case it may no longer do that).

The safest thing is just to make sure that there is always something above the portcullis to stop it... ;)

Thanks! Wow, those are some pretty damn impressive gates. Nice work! I'm glad to have been able to help you build something like that.

Any chance I could take a look in person?

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2016
  25. Offline

Incendia

Well I do know that if you move a block above the world height using something like worldedit it just vanishes, so I guess the same would happen with this... I wonder if you could increase memory usage of the server by spamming 'broken' portcullis' ?

26. Offline

TOAST7312

yeah i wouldnt mind showing you what ive got so far
    but itll have to be a day im home college just started back up from spring break and im gonna be busy the next two days
    ill send you a message like wednesday or something with server address
    the server is a closed community thusfar until bukkit is a completed thing
    then im gonna open it up to some people and another specific community
    but yeah definitely i think this was definitely at least worth that BD

27. Offline

Captain Chaos

I've seen it vanish long before reaching world height. But never when it was properly built, only when it had nothing above it, so I don't think it's a problem in practice (if it even happens at all any more now that bug's been fixed).
    I doubt it. The server doesn't care how much stuff there is in a chunk, it takes the same amount of memory regardless. It wouldn't look nice of course, so you'd have to climb all the way up there and take them down... :)

28. Offline

Zheren

Hey :).

Thanks for implementing my request to make it go through lava and water! It really helps the projects on my server A LOT :D.

But i have noticed 1 thing:

If i have PorteCoulissante & Discosheep installed the gates wont work.

Yes i know that Discosheep is a useless addon and it was only ment for fun, but maybe you have a clue of what could cause this?

29. Offline

Captain Chaos

@Zheren: no, no idea.Very odd. The only way that could happen, as far as I can see, is that the Discosheep plugin prevents the redstone signals from reaching the PorteCoulissante plugin. But as far as I know Discosheep doesn't do anything with redstone, does it? You might ask the author of that plugin if he has any idea why it might interfere.

Have you definitely narrowed it down to Discosheep? I.e., when you disable Discosheep, the portcullises work?

Does anyone else use Discosheep and see this problem?

30. Offline

Charles Baynham

Awesome plugin! The animation is great: I've had a couple of problems with the gate sticking down though. It might be an issue with the redstone not being calculated properly though so out of your control.

31. Offline

stavos

I made a huge caste gate with dual portcullises controlled by redstone switches and a manual overrides at the top
    [​IMG]
    Both gates opened

[​IMG]
    Outer gate closed

[​IMG]
    Between both gates with controls on the furthest wall.

Captain Chaos if you'd like to see this in person on my private server PM me and i'll give you the login info, it's nothing special but I did have to do some 2 block spacing for the vertical redstone torches otherwise the gate would randomly open/close when I used 1 empty space. Probably a bug.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.