[MECH/FUN] QuickStrasse v0.75 - Fastest Minecraft Transport [1.3.1-R2.0]

Discussion in 'Inactive/Unsupported Plugins' started by SunShe, Mar 17, 2011.

1. Offline

vip

Wow - that's so cool - i would love to use it, but it doesn't work. I am using mc 1.5_01 beta and bukkit 733.

If i step on the street which is 10 fields long i start to race but during the way it stops and i start to jerk at the spot. I can't leave the street to stop that. I can only leave the game and come back in.

Could you help me to get this great plugin running on my server ?

wwwwwwwwwwwwwww
    wggggggggggggggggggw
    wwwwwwwwwwwwwww

g= glass
    w= wole

2. Offline

smokie

Try to make the tracks only go a range of like 9. For me it seams to have cut out that problem for the most part. It also seams to be less buggy in 1.5_02 with 740. But maybe thats wishful thinking.

3. Offline

vip

I tried both ideas and the result was the same. It still doesn't work? Any other suggestions?

4. Offline

Plague

considered inactive

5. Offline

vip

That is really sad ! It's such a good idea.

6. Offline

Plague

tell that to the author, not me, I am not responsible for updates

7. Offline

vip

Nobody blamed you!

8. Offline

smokie

Free cake or i will blame you all!

9. Offline

TuRmoiLxx

this reminds me of my travelling days. This is awesome! I wish it was continued.

10. Offline

Fluff

SunShe, if you'd like me to take over maintenance of your plugin, I'd be happy to. You can also be given push access to our repository so you can continue development if you'd like. We really enjoyed this plugin on our server and we'd like to see it continue.

11. Offline

bradr

I'd like to concur with the general thoughts of everyone on this thread: it would be great if this plugin were continued. Our entire server map has been developed with these in mind - these underground "subways" serve as the backbone to movement around our world and it's quite necessary.

12. Offline

Faust

I would also love to see this continued, It's like a drug.. Once you get hooked you can't live without it..

13. Offline

michael05242002

It is so disappointing and sad if this plugin is inactive.
    If u can, I wish u can do it please :(

14. Offline

Darktrance

pls need Up2date for 740

15. Offline

Afforess

I held off mentioning this when I first saw it so many weeks ago, but now that my view point has been vindicated, I feel obligated to speak my mind.

SunShe, I can not fix your plugin so that other users can continue to use it, like I have with SpawnControl, AutoStop, Growbie, etc. It's obfuscated. Fixing it and reverse engineering it is beyond me, and 99.999% of the people on the forum. (0.001% = Grum, Dinnerbone). You're paranoia at protecting your creation has in the most ironic way, worked splendidly. It's completely safe, as no one will ever be able to use it again. So safe, it will become irrelevant. All you're hard work, hours of programming, one of a kind unique ideas, hacks and workarounds, insight, flavor of code, problem-solving techniques, and style will be completely lost to the vast sea that is the Internet. In 1 more month, barring a miraculous reappearance, this plugin will be barely remembered. In 6 months, it will be completely forgotten. Completely irrelevant. I'm not really trying to criticize you, SunShe, I had the opposite, but equally poor experience when I first started out. Originally, I made MM for Hmod public domain, only have code stolen with no credit given (actually, they denied it completely, despite it being obvious). I understand your position, but a middle ground (whether it be the GPL or a weaker MIT/CC licence) should be sought. Ultimately, this plugin serves as a cautionary tale to other developers on what NOT to do.

For the tl;dr crowd:
    Show Spoiler

[​IMG]

SeeD419 and Phaedrus like this.
  16. Offline

Fluff

I agree with this viewpoint completely. Personally, I don't care if people steal my source because I'm not doing it for the general community (despite releasing some of the plugins I maintain publicly). I do it for my server. If it can help someone else out, either because a server admin wants to use the plugin or a developer wants to use some source, all the better.

Fortunately, I've had more than a little experience recovering obfuscated code. While Java is new to me (9 days today!), coding in general is not. This plugin will continue, even if it takes me more time to fix it up than other plugins would. Why? Not because I'm interested in the credit for an awesome plugin or because I'm meanly trying to 'steal' your code and ideas, but because I want to use it on my server. Yes, I will release it publicly so that other server admins can use it as well.

And yes, I'm already working on it.

17. Offline

Afforess

This is good news. However, even in a best case scenario, you've lost all the comments and explanations for coding decisions. I know I make workarounds that need an explanation - one such case will be lost in the translation, and possibly removed because you didn't recognize it. I am glad you've taken up the mantle though.

18. Offline

Fluff

That'll be an ongoing maintanence issue, to be sure. Still, I just plain LIKE this plugin. I don't mind spending a little extra work getting it going, and I hope to manage user expectations by saying that it's continued without the author's help or consent so there may be rough patches as we understand the code.

Really, the obfuscation isn't great. Sure, an automatic decompiler will choke on it, but the bytecode makes it pretty obvious what's going on. The obfuscator obviously didn't feel too confident in its own abilities to generate valid code; whenever an obfuscation branch happens, the code that is important is duplicated on both sides of the branch. The largest sticking point is the use of the goto instructions; my decompiler was able to untangle most of it, but a couple of the longer methods got turned into a more complicated spider web. So far it hasn't proven difficult, just time-consuming.

EDIT: If you'd like to monitor my progress, here's the source link: https://bitbucket.org/levi_middleton/quickstrasse

No predictions or guesses. The code is back into a mostly-usable state. There's a few fields that I'm not sure what they do, though I have general ideas. I'll keep poking at it.

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2016
  19. Looks like the code is actually readable, shame about those silly sun() & she() methods. Good luck.

20. Offline

Fluff

Well, the first test was a qualified success. The plugin ran as expected, and a little bit of tinkering got the travel pretty smooth as long as you didn't change where you were looking. I'm going to do some code refactoring (because I can't stand the array lookups) and add some code to hold onto your travel trajectory separate from your pitch/yaw. If that works out, I'm going to do what I can to speed it back up. It's a bit slower than before (due to avoiding the "Player moved wrongly" messages), but I've got an idea about what I can do about that too.

Faust and Mighty Mackinac like this.
  21. Offline

Mighty Mackinac

You, sir, are a god amongst men. Keep up the awesome work.

22. Offline

Faust

I'm wondering how the progress on the plugin is going and if you're going to make a new thread for it when it is ready for a release.

23. Offline

Fluff

I'm trying to clear my plate so that I can focus on this one. Working on getting CommandSigns to 1.0 today. When I get a version that performs well on straight roads, I'll make a new thread.

Faust and Mighty Mackinac like this.
  24. Offline

Fluff

25. Offline

SunShe

Hi, I'm back on Minecraft and already in my server everyone wanted back my QuickStrasse plugin. So here,
    QuickStrasse Updated for CraftBukkit 1.3.1-R2.0

Have a good day.

26. Just so you know, fluff continued this plugin, and updated it to 0.82, so you might want to use a higher version number to stop confusion.

27. Offline

SunShe

Oh i see, let me see that.

[EDIT] I will see that later, i want updating GuestPrev before.

gfrewqpoiu likes this.
  28. Offline

SunShe

[ Working on the version 0.85 ]

What will be new for this next version:

- I resume my plugin development. ( With keeping and updating my 0.74 source. )
    - Including some features of the version 0.82. ( from Fluff )
    - Speed of roads. ( Much faster than the old version from Fluff )
    - Inside road Block ID.
    - Outside road Block ID.
    - Permission Support. (bPermissions, GroupManager, PermissionsBukkit, PermissionsEx, zPermissions)
    - Economy Support. (AEco, BOSEconomy, CraftConomy, Currency, eWallet, iConomy, MineConomy)
    - Can bypass Glass Pane.
    - System of Ticket Machine.

[​IMG]
    f
    _

gfrewqpoiu likes this.
  29. Offline

Lolmewn

Holy crap, this is pretty nice. Why haven't I seen this plugin before :confused: