Look to the Future

Discussion in 'Archived: Plugin Requests' started by Schmeckendeugler, Jan 15, 2011.

?

Am I crazy, or does this sorta make sense?

Poll closed Jan 29, 2011.
  1. Wow Yes

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Heck No

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  1. Guys, I just wanna say THANKS for all your dedication to Bukkit. The reason it's so important is, when you take Minecraft + Bukkit to its ultimate logical conclusion, what do you end up with? The first real GUI MUD/MUSH. But in order to get there, we need the game to be able to do all the things you guys are working on. Here is what I think would be necessary to bring us to what could be, in my opinion, quite possibly the pinnacle of online gaming.

What the players would see:
    -Players make characters with levels/hit points/races/etc.
    -A menagarie of monsters & npc's.
    - Customized weapons, armor, spells, etc.
    -reach a certain level, you can build a castle/dungeon/land
    -grouping
    -boss creatures
    -area-based PVP (mostly pvp with safe areas, or, mostly safe with arenas)

What is needed for such a thing:
    - ACL's on x/y/z sections (Access Control Lists, for you non sysadmins)
    - sql backend controlling it all: boss drops, character info
    - set spawns w/timers (for bosses)
    - automated backups

ETC. ETC. ETC!!!!!

2. Offline

Fifteen

Custom weapons and armor require a client mod. Bukkit is a server mod.

3. Offline

Simanova

We dont need a second "World of Warcraft". No

UnicornKid likes this.
  4. Offline

Tahkeh

I do like this idea (for RPG servers though, not default), but it'd be too difficult, and would require a modification to the client, like Fifteen said. Right now, we can only dream. :p

5. It would require BOTH, really. I'm talking about things much larger than bukkit, really, but I'd thought I'd share here.

As far as WoW goes, 1. monthly fee; 2. proprietary content; 3. non-customizable. WoW is not a GUI MUSH. it's a MUD. you can't build your own castles in wow. :D

6. Offline

MarkusNemesis

I say it could be possible.

if you have a complex database and attribute almost every action made based upon their stats/status.

and by that i mean no visual differences, but say "Leather armor on a Thief class character = they have protection and less speed reduction" vs "leather armor on a Mage class character = they have protection but are uber slow". all of these actions, players moving, jumping etc, would impart something of a nightmare as you need to dynamically slow or speed up players, etc.