Licences

Discussion in 'BukkitDev Information and Feedback' started by Ba7marker, Jan 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Ba7marker

I'm not sure is this is the correct section but if the plugin is licensed 'GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE 3' What can i do with the plugin? Am I able to get the source from there github and edit it to my liking for my server? Also if it still has that license am I able to de-compile it and edit it to my liking?

Thanks.

2. Offline

lol768

3. Offline

Ba7marker

4. Offline

Sleaker

if it's GPL the provider should have posted source somewhere, if they didn't you should be fine decompiling and patching it. If you release your changes to public you should do so with a prominent notice stating you've changed code, and in what sections you've changed it. In addition, you should choose a new name for the project so that it doesnt' get confused with the original.

I'm not a lawyer, don't take this as sound legal advice. these are just my recommendations.

5. Offline

lol768

You'll need permission from the original author if you wish to post a continuation/fork of the project on BukkitDev, regardless of license.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.