Learning Java through plugin development?

Discussion in 'Plugin Development' started by MinecraftPaladin, Aug 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Rocoty

What are you on about? Read my post again, please. Carefully.

2. Offline

Bobit

1) Why are you so mad? I've literally never watched these videos.
    2) There is nothing you can "type" that will set up a testing server for you, and open ports so you can test with other players. There might be something you can type that can compile a file from your IDE and put it into your testing server's plugins folder and start the server, but it would be much much harder, and explaining how to do that without showing you could be very difficult.

3. Offline

fireblast709

RawCode can you provide some kind of actual reasoning, proofs and sources for the numbers and arguments you throw around before you invalidate them

4. Offline

ZodiacTheories

AdamQpzm

How long did it take you to write that?!

:eek:

5. ZodiacTheories likes this.
  6. Offline

coasterman10

I'm going to go ahead and say that I mostly learned Java by plugin development, but I had earlier experience with C so most of the concepts came more easily and I could understand the basics. If you have never programmed before, by all means get a book and try some basic programs before starting on your first plugin.

If you have some ideas for plugins to start off with, you can try making them but if you feel unfamiliar with a concept, go back to the Java book and get a thorough understanding of what you need before employing it in the plugin. A lot of poor practices are learned from trying to do something without knowing how to do it and coming up with some unusual convoluted way of doing it.

If you've never programmed before though, you're going to certainly want to not start with Bukkit, and just stick to plain Java and get familiar with basic programming concepts. You should probably hold off with Bukkit until you understand how multiple classes work and how to use Collections and Maps.

Rocoty likes this.
  7. Offline

RandomPanda30

@MinecraftPaladin If I'm being honest, it depends who you are. I spent 6 months learning Java and Bukkit together. I never ever finished learning Java completely but it became a lot more interesting for me when I worked with Bukkit as well so to be honest, I think it would be a good idea. The reason it took 6 months is because I was very very new to object based programming languages. I had programmed a little bit with Python in a IT class in school but I got incredibly bored so I just said "Screw this, I'm learning Java".

Just learn the basics and then you can progress from there. To be honest, and as of now, I can code pretty well in Java and using the Bukkit API. At the end of the day, it's your choice. Good luck

P.S - After 6 months of learning Java, I now know HTML, A bit of LUA, CSS and I am currently taking on a new challenge and learning C++ with OpenGL. So yes, learning Java can lead you onto a lot more and it is normally a good starting point for people who want to carry on programming with object based languages.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.