Issues with Bukkit Permissions (aka "SuperPerms")

Discussion in 'Plugin Development' started by cereal, Jul 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

cereal

There will exist computers that do not need user accounts so Operating Systems MUST NOT contain them since the smallest use case needs not to support multiple user accounts! If a server administrator doesn't need them then it should be up to them to disregard them. Providing a solution that only focuses on one subset of users is close minded.

2. Offline

t3hk0d3

zhuowei and cereal like this.
  3. Offline

jtripled

Alright, everything I'm about to say has been said before, but here it goes...

SuperPerms is by far the more superior system. Without a SuperPerms plugin, a Bukkit server is still better off than without SuperPerms because it allows server operators to differentiate between the group op and non-op. So, yes, player.isOp() is sufficient for small servers, and thanks to SuperPerms a small server doesn't need to be bothered with setting up a permissions plugin to handle their potentially tiny list of plugins.

However, when using PermissionsBukkit, you have identical functionality as the original Permissions plugin, aside from explicit value storage via permission (which could be faked anyway). Personally, I don't think permissions should be in any way used for values, but hey, it's not just my opinion that matters. Anyway, the foremost advantage to this system is that a plugin developer only has to type one teeny tiny little line to check permissions. Not some developers, all developers get this benefit. You don't have to listen for a Permissions plugin anymore, which is brilliant. Also, with the op/non-op default values available, that one line of code the developer writes works even if there is no "PermissionsBukkit" or anything.

So, stop picking a fight with SuperPerms, they do exactly what a permissions API should do, nothing more. If you want that extra functionality, download PermissionsBukkit and do EXACTLY what you did with the original Permissions plugin, because they are almost identical. You don't have to do anything extra beyond that.

Also, claiming that SuperPerms is incomplete in some way is entirely nonsensical. An API should provide the baseline "what is absolutely required beyond any shadow of a doubt" functionality, and that is what Bukkit provides. I use a permissions plugin (PermissionsBukkit) and I have no problems with it whatsoever, and as a matter of fact, I actually have a better experience with it than Permissions. Saying that it is incomplete because you still have to download and configure a plugin is an invalid argument. It definitely succeeds at what it should be doing.

It lightens the load on developers most of all and it impacts server operators who still want groups almost negligibly.

This statement especially is nonsense. The solution provided by Bukkit for permissions is quite the opposite of "close-minded." As a matter of fact, it provides options for every single server operator now, even those who don't want to install a plugin. Previously, if you didn't want to use a permissions plugin in favor of OP, you were out of luck if you found a really nice plugin that required permissions. Now that's a thing of the past.

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2016
  4. Offline

Jobsti

I'm annoyed!

I use Groupmanager since the first release, had no problems and I'm extremely happy with it (and the Bridge).
    Then comes Permissions 3, some plugins wouldn't run (but only a few).... after that, the superperms-Chaos!

A new system, new nodes, new configs, less settings and options. (but some good new ones)
    But the biggest problem for me as an ServerAdmin: Some Plugins would only support the old Permsissions and wouldn't run (completely) with the bridge(s) (MCD, Antigrief, herochat etc....) and some Plugins will only run with the new superperms.

So I use Groupmanager as long as I can use it, but I can't update some plugins and can't use some new plugins!
    Problem: Some Plugin-Authors are supporting only the superperms after an update, but doesn't write this in their Infos/Changelogs or topics. So I have to backup my plugin and testing the new version, if it will run with my old GM.

And now, I'm a bit frustrated....

With Groupmanager and permissions, we had two very good and easy permissions systems

Edit:
    Ok, testing pex 1.13... seems to be work fine, testing....

cereal and xsolar66 like this.
  5. Offline

gsand

I switched from groupmanager to permissions + permissionsplus w/ p2aliases, easiest migration ever.
    permissions bukkit + permissions bridged errored out when I reloaded the server.

Most of the commands we use on our server are commandhelper based...

6. Offline

codename_B

Again I say it - if you can't setup a yml file - try bPermissions

7. Offline

Jobsti

@gsand
    I edited my configs from hand from GM to PEX, yml configs are super easy and fast to edit with n++.
    All old and new Plugins are working fine yet... but I have to do more testig, before I will use it on the Mainserver.

Suff- and prefixes working great with PEX, inerhitance, Promote System, * nodes etc. , 2.x, 3.x and Superperms Plugins/nodes working great too. super easy, I'm happy ;) (MCDocs, herochat etc. are fully working!)
    But I miss the the mirroring and handling from GM...

@codename_B
    No one said, that we have any problems to setup yml files ;)

8. Offline

Kainzo

If someone can't set up a yml file, that person shouldnt be running a bukkit server.

9. Offline

codename_B

Doesn't stop them trying

10. Offline

Celtic Minstrel

@t3hk0d3 – Irrelevant. The point is that isOp is sufficient for some servers. The details of those servers don't really matter; I'm just assuming they would tend to be smaller servers.

While I would tend to agree, sadly half the people who are trying to run a Bukkit server will continue to have no clue what they are doing. :/

11. Offline

Drakia

making it easier for them just makes it harder for us ;)

cereal and EdTheLoon like this.
  12. Offline

jungalist81

Edit: I still have to look into Superperms a bit more

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.