Development Assistance Im scared...... help

Discussion in 'Plugin Help/Development/Requests' started by IMleader, Dec 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

IMleader

hey, i recently stumbled uopon a jar decompiler. i did not know what it was so i began to experiment with it by decompiling my plugins. This scares me. Anyone could have found that and used it to steal my plugins. Is there any way to stop this?

2. Online

timtower Administrator Administrator Moderator

@IMleader No way to stop it, they can always be decompiled.

3. Offline

IMleader

ugh that sucks. so anyways to like protect it or something?

4. Online

timtower Administrator Administrator Moderator

Obfuscating, but then you won't be allowed to upload on dev.bukkit.org as files get checked and we can't see what it does.

5. Offline

IMleader

alright thank you for clearing that up. :D

6. Offline

mcdorli

You have copyright over them, so if you find somebody, that stole it, then you can report him. This can be done with like every program on your computer.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2015
  7. Offline

Scorpionvssub

@IMleader Depending how you code some people may have a hard time figuring out what it does anyway as when you create setters and getters some add more then required but for some reason are still required, while adding 10.000 methods for lets say 1 command so it takes them 210 hours to figure out what each thing does and adjust to their needs/desires and if they want reuse it. And like mc said, since you posted it(if you made it) you are the owner of it and any parts of it that are reused for another plugin into detail can and will be removed from the upload page. Seen it plenty reported many :p

8. Offline

mcdorli

The best example for what @Scorpionvssub said, is the NMS API. There is a reason, why every method and arguments has a name from the abc. Making the plugin unreadable can cause the bukkitdev team, to have a hard time too.

9. Offline

Scorpionvssub

Not to mention that you need the correct Jars to cover the methods people use as some minecraft.something are not working on all 1.8.x versions the same way

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.