[Idea|Dev] DBus Interface

Discussion in 'Archived: Plugin Requests' started by Jacob Litewski, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Offline

Jacob Litewski

I've been following Bukkit for a while now, and I had a brainstorm: Why don't we have the option to have the Bukkit Server communicate with other programs on the DBus?

It's more of a personal thing, since most people, I believe, use Windows to run the server and not UNIX/Linux system. BUT, with DBus, I believe you can have a script that can effectively automate the server and extend functionality outside the confines of the Java programming language (since most major scripting languages has DBus functionality build in).

I have a GitHub Set up already (https://github.com/HACKhalo2/BukkitDBusInterface), and I'm going to mess with it as a personal project and to understand how the DBus Spec works, But I would appreciate any and all help :D
    --- merged: Jan 25, 2011 10:17 PM ---
    Well, after about a day of working, I figured out that DBus for java isn't installed by default, and it needs a LOT of dependencies to work correctly, including a C library. It's too much work for plugin that may or may not take off due to the fact that I believe most Minecraft Servers run on the Windows OS anyways.

I'm not going to kill the project, but I am going to not work on it now. I'm going to try and do some "simpler" things first and use that experience to see if I can make this idea into a possibility.

Again, if anyone wants to help maybe try to get this off the ground, the github link is in the OP.