Solved How to run heavy code sync?

Discussion in 'Plugin Development' started by Tim_M, Oct 2, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Tim_M

I have VERY heavy code that needs to run. (It takes about 7 hours to run!) My testing server would always time out and shut down. This can be bypassed by increasing the time-out significantly, but I don't really want to do that. The reason I can't use async is because: 1) It takes even longer to run. 2) I am accessing the bukkit API.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Offline

Strahan

Is it something that can be parceled out into batches?

3. Offline

davidclue

@Tim_M Can't you just run it in a CompletableFuture task to fix the first problem and use
    Code:
    Bukkit.getScheduler().runTask();
    To solve the second problem? Also what API are you accessing? A lot of bukkit API is thread-safe so make sure to check that out.

4. Offline

Tim_M

It's not thread safe, when ran async it would cause tons of errors in console which aren't there when not ran async.

Not sure. I'm saving 10k*10k*256 blocks into files on disk.

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

5. Offline

davidclue

@Tim_M Well actually calling getBlock on a loaded chunk is thread-safe so why not on the main thread load chunks which have zero impact if you go about it at a steady pace and then from an async task grab every block and save it. I am not sure if setType is thread-safe keep that in mind you probably won't be able to modify blocks just get their type.

6. Offline

Tim_M

Thank you for the response I found and fixed the error. I ended up using the NMS getBlock equivelant, which just so happened to not cause any errors and is much faster. Marking Solved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.