Gameplay library, bootstrapping, tutorial...

Discussion in 'Resources' started by NathanWolf, Feb 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

NathanWolf

Hi, all!

I wanted to come in and mention that I'm putting together a Gameplay library to encapsulate some nice functionality that may not be in Bukkit (just yet, in some cases- two items are already marked off my list! :D)

This is a library, not a plugin- it's just for devs.

I'm also putting together a very in-depth tutorial on how to get set up for Bukkit dev- this will be using Eclipse, git, EGit, and Maven. Using this guide, you'll not only be able to build your own plugins and step through them in a debugger, you can even step into the core bukkit code to see how things tick!

This tutorial will also include a "SamplePlugin" bootstrap project, mainly oriented around using Gameplay and Persistence, but could be used as a starting place for your own plugin, whether or not you want to use those two systems.

SamplePlugin is actually a fully functioning nickname "plugin". Admins can assign players a nickname, and players can check each other's nicknames.

It's very simple, but it excercises quite a few powerful features:
    • Persistent data storage, for player-specific data
    • The Persistence command dispatch framework
    • Automatic permissions integration
    • Data-driven messaging, so it's localizeable
    I hope this helps!

Gameplay is live, the tutorial should be up later tonight.

2. Offline

DiaAWAY

3. Offline

Archelaus

I'm looking forward to this. What should I expect to see in this tutorial?

4. Offline

NathanWolf

Heh- well, actually, at this point it's taken a serious turn for the "not gonna do that, exactly" :)

After learning that there is already a really nice "getting started" guide on the wiki, I'm going to hopefully add some screenshots to that one, instead of trying to put together Yet Another Getting Started Guide.

However, I am going to add "Getting Started With Persistence" section to the wiki, specifically to cover my sample project, what it does, and some of the advanced features of Persistence.

It's kind of on hold right now, though, because I've been doing a lot of refactoring of Persistence to get it ready as a candidate for bukkit.persistence - so I'm not sure when I'm going to get to that, honestly. But, if you're interested in using Persistence (and/or this Gameplay library, which is super minimal ATM), then this guide maybe be for you, and you can definitely get going now with the sample code.... otherwise, I'd try out the official guide- I think it's better than I would have done anyway, minus screenshots, which I'd like to add :D

5. Offline

Archelaus

Well, the gameplay library is amazing. I was actually working on something like it myself. But I never got around to finishing it. Would you mind if I were to change it and add things to it? I love the idea of it.

6. Offline

NathanWolf

No, not at all! Maybe we could put together a github group, and move Gameplay into a shared repo?

I really wanted this library to just be a "placeholder" for things I want, the community wants, or we feel is missing or not there yet in the core API. So I really like the idea of it becoming community-run, if that's manageable :)

Let me see if I can set something like that up.... meantime, feel free (of course) to fork and request a pull! I'll try to get stuff in and re-released in a timely fashion.

7. Offline

Archelaus

Thanks :) I like the things in it like the boxes for areas (I forget the name, I think it was bounding boxs) and such. They make things a lot easier.

A repo would be great :)

8. Offline

NathanWolf

I'll see what I can do!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.