Inactive [FUN] MagicSpells - Add magic to your server

Discussion in 'Inactive/Unsupported Plugins' started by nisovin, May 8, 2011.

1. Offline

nisovin

MagicSpells - Add magic to your server!

View the plugin on BukkitDev!

MagicSpells is a plugin that creates spells your players can use. Its main purpose is to give your players access to certain abilities that you might not want to give them unlimited access to. Each spell can be assigned customized reagent (item) costs, cooldowns. durations, ranges, and so on. Spells can be cast by using the /cast command, swinging a wand, or both. It's all customizable.

Download

Important: Read before downloading! There is a lot of information in this post. I know, it's a lot to read. However, I spent quite a while writing it all in what I hope is a clear, informative, and understandable manner. So, please, read the entire post before asking a question. Chances are, the answer is already here. I also suggest taking a nice look through the configuration file. Is it a massive file? Yes, it is. But if your question is "can I do this?" then a look through the configuration options would be a good idea.
    Plugin Manual

There is a lot of useful information in the plugin manual, which can be found here:

MagicSpells Plugin Manual

Usage

Spells can be cast either by using the /cast command or by using a wand item. To cast a spell, a player must first know the spell. Server operators know all spells by default. They can teach spells to other players by using the teach spell. For example, to teach bob the blink spell, an operator would type: /cast teach bob blink.

Bob can now use the blink spell. He can either cast it by command, by typing /cast blink, or he can cast it with a wand item. To select the spell, he holds the wand in his hand and right clicks. Right clicking will cycle through any spells assigned to the item he is holding. When he has the one he wants, he left clicks to cast.

If Bob does not have the required reagents for the spell, or if he has cast it recently and it is still on cooldown, he will not be able to cast the spell and will instead receive an error message.

If mana is enabled, a player can use the /mana command to see how much mana they currently have.

Spells

View Spell List

Configuration

The zip file contains a config.yml file that should go into the MagicSpells folder within your plugins directory. The default configuration has appropriate spell costs, durations, and messages for each spell. However, you will most likely want to customize this to fit your server.

You can modify the config.yml file directly, or you can choose to leave it intact and instead create an alternate config file, by default altConfig.yml. Any configuration values in this alternate file will override the values in the main config file.

There are some general configuration options that apply to all spells, as well as options for each individual spell. Important: The default configuration file does NOT contain all config options, it is just an example. Just because a config option isn't in the default doesn't mean it is not available. For example, it's possible to add a duration to any buff spell, even though the default configuration file does not have a duration on all buff spells.

To reload the configuration, simply cast the fake reload spell (/cast reload). Only server operators can do this (it can also be done from the command line).

Please see the plugin manual for information about all of the various configuration options.

Frequently Asked Questions

Help me! Why isn't it working?
    If - after reading through this entire post - you can't figure out why it isn't working, please take the time to submit a proper help request. You can post your request either on in this thread or in the MagicSpells forum. You should provide the following information:
    • The CraftBukkit build you're using.
    • The MagicSpells version you're using.
    • Which permissions plugin (if any) you are using.
    • The error in the console, if there is one.
    • Your config file(s). Please don't post them directly , use a service like http://pastebin.com and just post the link.
    It says I need reagents whenever I cast a spell! Where do I get reagents?
    One of the main ideas behind this plugin is to give players cool abilities, but with a cost. The reagents are the spell's cost. This can be configured in the config.yml file individually for every spell. The config option name is "cost". You can also add your name to the list of exceptions in the general.cast-for-free option.

Can I unbind spells from items?
    Yes. Simply use the bind spell to bind the spell to your empty hand, and it will no longer be bound to any item.

Why can't my players cast spells?
    Why does it say "You cannot cast that spell right now" when I try to cast any spell?
    If you're using Permissions, please make sure your permissions are all set up correctly. Look in the Configuration: Permissions section for more information. Also double check and make sure your use-permissions config option is set to true.

What are the Permissions nodes?
    The nodes are listed on the permissions information page in the plugin manual.

I can't get my Permissions working! Can you help me?
    Remember that all nodes use the "real" spell name, rather than the name you define with the "name" option. If you cannot get your permissions working, feel free to ask for help. Make sure you specify which permissions plugin you are using, and all of the items from the "Help Me!" question above.

Will you add iConomy (or another economy plugin) support?
    With the addition of the 'tome' and 'scroll' spells, I currently have no plans to add special support for an economy plugin. You should be able to create tomes and scrolls and sell them using any plugin that allows you to sell items, thus allowing you to sell spells.

I have a great spell idea! Will you add it?
    Please tell me about it by submitting a ticket! I can't guarantee that I'll make it, but if it's a feasible idea, I'll definitely consider it. I'm always looking for new spell ideas. Note that I may not respond directly to your idea, but I always read the suggestions.

I've found a bug! What do I do?
    Please submit a ticket! Please include your CraftBukkit build number, any error in the console, the situation that caused the error (if known), and if you think it's applicable, the list of plugins you use.

Change Log

View full change log

Donate: Always gotta have a donate link for those who love their plugin authors.

2. Offline

nisovin

New update! Some bug fixes, new features, and some adjustments. No new spells this time.

3. Offline

sleite

Feature Request:

Please consider making a custom-config.yml file where server admins can make customizations. This way when new version is released the customizations are not lost, and there's no head-aches about comparing the new config with the old.

custom-config.yml should not be included in the distribution - only documented in the config.yml - so as not to risk accidently over-writing any existing custom-config.yml file.

Duplicate entries in the custom-config.yml would of course take priority over ones found in the included config.yml so user defined preferences would never be over-written by any new releases.

Thanks!

Spell Request:

Light Spell:
    /cast light [options]
    Description: Same illumination as a torch, but centered on the caster. Duration may be fixed, or possibly allowed to be specified. Eg. If the regent was glowstone dust, you could allow the duration to be 5 minutes per 1 dust, or if the user specifies a great time (eg. /cast light 60), then 12 dust would be consumed and the duration would be 1 hour (60 minutes).

Spell Request: Excavate
    /cast dig [options]
    Description: Users seem to spend a lot of time mining. My users have requested magic spells to help them "dig faster". I propose something like a long rectangular shape (eg. 1x2x10, or 2x2x5 that would allow players to dig tunnels. The spell will only tunnel through Dirt and Rock. Not Sand. Not Gravel. Not Lava. Not Water. Etc. It should cost 1 redstone dust per block removed (eg. 1x2x10 = 20 blocks cost: 20 redstone). If it's too cheap, it will be abused.

Suggestion for Lifewalk: Add mushrooms to the list of possibilities? Admin can choose zero as a value to disable or customize.

Keep up the great work!

4. Offline

Tal-N

I'm loving how well this mod is developing. It is encouraging when we see so many people give up when 1.6 was launched. We've yet to start using this because we're going to be using BuyAbilities to allow people to spend currency to gain access to magical abilities (currency on our server is only available through questing) so having permission access per spell is excellent! Hopefully we dont run into any problems when we implement this in the next week or two.

One suggestion for a spell would be a 'errosion' ability. Basically you'd target stone or dirt and a 6x6 area would turn into gravel and just under the bottom of the 6x6 area you remove a 1x6 area of blocks. It will need to be set up to limit usage to surfaces under or over you. Not for use on walls since it won't work proprly. But the empty (air) blocks will cause the gravel to update and fall creating a cave-in style affect. If there is an pre-existing cave under the 6x6 area the effect would be an excellent instant pit-fall trap!

5. Offline

Rpa;otj

Again, would really like to see an option to configure fireball damage. I even tried using ModDamage to buff ghast projectile damage but couldn't seem to get it to effect my wizard class. I have a very good set up with him for MobArena using this plugin but he can't solo much at all due to fireball's damage. MobArena's protect system seems to block flamewalk and nova so my wizards depend on fireball and lightning on 3s and 10s cooldowns along with purge on a 120s cooldown for all of their offensive output!

Thanks for such a great plugin, and hope to see more flexibility soon!

6. Offline

seaniscrazy

I love this plugin, good job.
    But is there any way to use iconomy with this plugin? i was hoping to
    1) have people buy spells from bookcases
    2) use money for the cost of using a spell

7. Offline

NeonJ

I've noticed some.. glitches.

Lightwalk uses itself even if you don't have the items required.
    Stonevision works forever until you cast it again

8. Offline

nisovin

Yet another minor update. Mostly bug fixes again.
    Wish granted!
    Fixed! Thanks for the report.
    I may be adding this soon-ish.
    This seems unnecessary, and adds complexity where it isn't needed. It's not that hard to copy and paste the new config options into your existing config file. I do it for my own server whenever I update.

9. Offline

Rpa;otj

Thank you so much for agreeing to do the fireball damage config! This is one of my all time favorite plugins!

10. Offline

ubentobox

Bug Report:

Code:
    2011-06-13 23:24:43 [INFO] Starting minecraft server version Beta 1.6.6
    2011-06-13 23:24:43 [INFO] Loading properties
    2011-06-13 23:24:43 [INFO] Starting Minecraft server on 192.168.1.50:25565
    2011-06-13 23:24:43 [INFO] This server is running Craftbukkit version git-Bukkit-0.0.0-823-gb9d0b04-b860jnks (MC: 1.6.6)
    2011-06-13 23:24:43 [INFO] Preparing level "damnation"
    2011-06-13 23:24:43 [INFO] Preparing start region for level 0
    2011-06-13 23:24:43 [INFO] Preparing start region for level 1
    2011-06-13 23:24:44 [INFO] Preparing spawn area: 85%
    2011-06-13 23:24:44 [SEVERE] while scanning a simple key
     in "<reader>", line 9, column 1:
        {}
        ^
    could not found expected ':'
     in "<reader>", line 10, column 1:

^

2011-06-13 23:24:44 [SEVERE]     at org.yaml.snakeyaml.scanner.ScannerImpl.stalePossibleSimpleKeys(ScannerImpl.java:400)
    2011-06-13 23:24:44 [SEVERE]     at org.yaml.snakeyaml.scanner.ScannerImpl.fetchMoreTokens(ScannerImpl.java:239)
    2011-06-13 23:24:44 [SEVERE]     at org.yaml.snakeyaml.scanner.ScannerImpl.checkToken(ScannerImpl.java:183)
    2011-06-13 23:24:44 [SEVERE]     at org.yaml.snakeyaml.parser.ParserImpl$ParseBlockMappingKey.produce(ParserImpl.java:564)
    2011-06-13 23:24:44 [SEVERE]     at org.yaml.snakeyaml.parser.ParserImpl.peekEvent(ParserImpl.java:163)
    2011-06-13 23:24:44 [SEVERE]     at org.yaml.snakeyaml.parser.ParserImpl.checkEvent(ParserImpl.java:148)
    2011-06-13 23:24:44 [SEVERE]     at org.yaml.snakeyaml.composer.Composer.composeMappingNode(Composer.java:228)
    2011-06-13 23:24:44 [SEVERE]     at org.yaml.snakeyaml.composer.Composer.composeNode(Composer.java:160)
    2011-06-13 23:24:44 [SEVERE]     at org.yaml.snakeyaml.composer.Composer.composeDocument(Composer.java:122)
    2011-06-13 23:24:44 [SEVERE]     at org.yaml.snakeyaml.composer.Composer.getSingleNode(Composer.java:105)
    2011-06-13 23:24:44 [SEVERE]     at org.yaml.snakeyaml.constructor.BaseConstructor.getSingleData(BaseConstructor.java:124)
    2011-06-13 23:24:44 [SEVERE]     at org.yaml.snakeyaml.Yaml.load(Yaml.java:264)
    2011-06-13 23:24:44 [SEVERE]     at com.nijiko.configuration.NotNullConfiguration.load(NotNullConfiguration.java:54)
    2011-06-13 23:24:44 [SEVERE]     at com.nijiko.data.YamlUserStorage.<init>(YamlUserStorage.java:31)
    2011-06-13 23:24:44 [SEVERE]     at com.nijiko.data.YamlCreator.getUserStorage(YamlCreator.java:34)
    2011-06-13 23:24:44 [SEVERE]     at com.nijiko.data.StorageFactory.getUserStorage(StorageFactory.java:76)
    2011-06-13 23:24:44 [SEVERE]     at com.nijiko.permissions.ModularControl.forceLoadWorld(ModularControl.java:92)
    2011-06-13 23:24:44 [SEVERE]     at com.nijiko.permissions.ModularControl.loadWorld(ModularControl.java:84)
    2011-06-13 23:24:44 [SEVERE]     at com.nijiko.permissions.ModularControl.load(ModularControl.java:104)
    2011-06-13 23:24:44 [SEVERE]     at com.nijikokun.bukkit.Permissions.Permissions.setupPermissions(Permissions.java:186)
    2011-06-13 23:24:44 [SEVERE]     at com.nijikokun.bukkit.Permissions.Permissions.onLoad(Permissions.java:139)
    2011-06-13 23:24:44 [SEVERE]     at org.bukkit.craftbukkit.CraftServer.loadPlugins(CraftServer.java:112)
    2011-06-13 23:24:44 [SEVERE]     at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.e(MinecraftServer.java:232)
    2011-06-13 23:24:44 [SEVERE]     at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.a(MinecraftServer.java:219)
    2011-06-13 23:24:44 [SEVERE]     at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.init(MinecraftServer.java:146)
    2011-06-13 23:24:44 [SEVERE]     at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.run(MinecraftServer.java:283)
    2011-06-13 23:24:44 [SEVERE]     at net.minecraft.server.ThreadServerApplication.run(SourceFile:422)
    2011-06-13 23:24:44 [SEVERE] [Permissions] Unable to load permission data.
    2011-06-13 23:24:44 [SEVERE] [Permissions] Shutting down Permissions due to error(s).
    2011-06-13 23:24:44 [INFO] [Permissions] (Yeti) was initialized.
    2011-06-13 23:24:44 [INFO] Backup v1.6 was sucessfully loaded!
    2011-06-13 23:24:44 [INFO] CraftBukkitUpToDate version 2.5.5 is enabled!
    2011-06-13 23:24:44 [INFO] [Permissions] (Yeti) disabled successfully.

The error occurred after placing in the spell permissions for the default user. Full Crash Log and my permissions are located on pastebin. The crash results in ALL permissions being disabled.

Crash
    Permissions

Also please note I CANNOT get rid of the error now even having removed both my character and removing the magicspells folder and .jar.

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2016
  11. Offline

nisovin

I'd like to point out that this is because it's not a problem with MagicSpells, it's a problem with your permissions file. And I did look through the file you posted, but can't find anything wrong. It almost seems like the file you posted isn't the one causing the problem. Do you have any other Permissions files that might have errors?

12. Offline

ubentobox

Well the permissions wasn't throwing an error until I put them in. I wasn't sure if I maybe put them in wrong, but I do remember the first time I forgot to do all 3 sets (the world, world_nether, and global). Is there a way I can flush my cache or such to have it "reload"?

13. Offline

Rossy

This really is a fantastic plugin. Much thanks for creating my favorite plugin! :D

I only have two requests: Can you make it so Entomb and Forcepush work on players? :eek:

14. Offline

Thek21

This is a really cool plugin, we use this on the server i play on.

i thought about would it be posible to make a spell that makes
    the hitten target (another player) vision blury, like the effect
    from when you use a nether portal.

Thek21

15. Offline

nisovin

I really don't know, sorry.
    Set the target-players option to true for those spells.
    As far as I know this isn't possible. I could potentially put a pumpkin head on someone to impair vision.

16. Offline

MindDefect

I upgraded from 0.5 to 0.6.2, and now it gets this message and doesn't work at all. I tried erasing config/reinstalling the plugin and all... so for now staying with 0.5 (though I might try a version in between). I'm using craftbukkit 860. Love the plugin by the way.

17. Offline

nisovin

Are you sure you're running 860? That looks like an error that would occur if you haven't updated to a recent CraftBukkit version.

18. Offline

NeonJ

There should be an option for all spells to affect players. I'd love to enable the Force or Combust to be used on players on my server, and I believe the players want that too.

19. Offline

MindDefect

Yes absolutely, I know it seems weird to me too. Only thing I could say is maybe something got added to a later version that maybe conflicts with the plugin ItemCraft 1.3.8....I will try and narrow down if thats the conflict and report back

yes it seems to run fine without "Itemcraft" http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/me...tems-recipes-entites-mos-creatures-860.15808/ , if you have an archive of older versions I could see which version after 0.5 caused the error. Don't know if its worth exploring or not for you but for me, I want my MagicSpells+Mo's Creatures together
    EDIT: Nevermind I found your archive, testing now

Version 0.6 still works, but 0.6.1 is where a conflict between these mods begins with that same error message

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

20. Offline

nisovin

Looks like ItemCraft redefines the Materials list, and hasn't added the new blocks that came with 1.6. This is an ItemCraft bug, you should bug the author about it.

All spells that could be used on a player have a target-players option you can set.

21. Offline

llvllortal

please give me the permissions note for all power sorry for myn bad english im belgian ,i dont understand the config file

22. Offline

nisovin

I'm not sure what you're asking here. I already provide a default configuration file. If you can't figure out the config from the instructions in the first post, I'm not sure how else to explain it to you.

23. Offline

Rossy

@nisovin
    On those spells I don't see a target-players option, (in the config.yml) am I able to add that at the bottom of the spell options to make it work?

24. Where can you see what spells are bind on what item on default?
    I know stick and Gold Sword holds most of them.

I just discoverd that the rose does something when right clicking on doors with it. Sadly I have no idea what.
    Thank you for your time and effort into this plugin, it is very very good!

25. Offline

nisovin

Yes.
    Look in the config file. The cast-item is the default binding. You can change it as you please. The rose is prayer.

26. Offline

KuroSnow

So, another request, and a question for you.
    Request: A spell that makes monsters not attack you for a certain amount of time. (Or maybe an option with Vanish that makes you "invisible" to mobs, and/or players, with each setting given an True/False option... for customization =D
    Question: What does this do?
    use-health-bars: false
    and this.
    ignore-default-bindings: false

27. Offline

Stroved

Just upgraded, and now my users get: "You can't cast that spell right now." But I can't find out why. I am using permissions, have the setting on and it works, and they have the spells as they would get "You do not know that spell", but they don't.

So I'm not quite sure why this is happening. I don't think I'm on the latest Bukkit version, so will this have something to do with it?

28. Offline

KuroSnow

@Stroved - Do your players have the magicspells.cast.(spellname) permission nodes? I actually just use cast.*, and leave it up to the learn.(spellname) =P

29. Offline

Stroved

They have magicspells.grant.<spellname>, as each Faction has 3 different spells. It has worked before, and I've never gotten this error before.

30. Offline

nisovin

Give everyone 'magicspells.cast.*'. This permission was added in a recent version, and is required to cast a spell.

31. I am so blind, I checked the config before I asked. It just slipped!
    Keep up this amazing plugin!