Inactive [FUN] MagicSpells - Add magic to your server

Discussion in 'Inactive/Unsupported Plugins' started by nisovin, May 8, 2011.

1. Offline

nisovin

MagicSpells - Add magic to your server!

View the plugin on BukkitDev!

MagicSpells is a plugin that creates spells your players can use. Its main purpose is to give your players access to certain abilities that you might not want to give them unlimited access to. Each spell can be assigned customized reagent (item) costs, cooldowns. durations, ranges, and so on. Spells can be cast by using the /cast command, swinging a wand, or both. It's all customizable.

Download

Important: Read before downloading! There is a lot of information in this post. I know, it's a lot to read. However, I spent quite a while writing it all in what I hope is a clear, informative, and understandable manner. So, please, read the entire post before asking a question. Chances are, the answer is already here. I also suggest taking a nice look through the configuration file. Is it a massive file? Yes, it is. But if your question is "can I do this?" then a look through the configuration options would be a good idea.
    Plugin Manual

There is a lot of useful information in the plugin manual, which can be found here:

MagicSpells Plugin Manual

Usage

Spells can be cast either by using the /cast command or by using a wand item. To cast a spell, a player must first know the spell. Server operators know all spells by default. They can teach spells to other players by using the teach spell. For example, to teach bob the blink spell, an operator would type: /cast teach bob blink.

Bob can now use the blink spell. He can either cast it by command, by typing /cast blink, or he can cast it with a wand item. To select the spell, he holds the wand in his hand and right clicks. Right clicking will cycle through any spells assigned to the item he is holding. When he has the one he wants, he left clicks to cast.

If Bob does not have the required reagents for the spell, or if he has cast it recently and it is still on cooldown, he will not be able to cast the spell and will instead receive an error message.

If mana is enabled, a player can use the /mana command to see how much mana they currently have.

Spells

View Spell List

Configuration

The zip file contains a config.yml file that should go into the MagicSpells folder within your plugins directory. The default configuration has appropriate spell costs, durations, and messages for each spell. However, you will most likely want to customize this to fit your server.

You can modify the config.yml file directly, or you can choose to leave it intact and instead create an alternate config file, by default altConfig.yml. Any configuration values in this alternate file will override the values in the main config file.

There are some general configuration options that apply to all spells, as well as options for each individual spell. Important: The default configuration file does NOT contain all config options, it is just an example. Just because a config option isn't in the default doesn't mean it is not available. For example, it's possible to add a duration to any buff spell, even though the default configuration file does not have a duration on all buff spells.

To reload the configuration, simply cast the fake reload spell (/cast reload). Only server operators can do this (it can also be done from the command line).

Please see the plugin manual for information about all of the various configuration options.

Frequently Asked Questions

Help me! Why isn't it working?
    If - after reading through this entire post - you can't figure out why it isn't working, please take the time to submit a proper help request. You can post your request either on in this thread or in the MagicSpells forum. You should provide the following information:
    • The CraftBukkit build you're using.
    • The MagicSpells version you're using.
    • Which permissions plugin (if any) you are using.
    • The error in the console, if there is one.
    • Your config file(s). Please don't post them directly , use a service like http://pastebin.com and just post the link.
    It says I need reagents whenever I cast a spell! Where do I get reagents?
    One of the main ideas behind this plugin is to give players cool abilities, but with a cost. The reagents are the spell's cost. This can be configured in the config.yml file individually for every spell. The config option name is "cost". You can also add your name to the list of exceptions in the general.cast-for-free option.

Can I unbind spells from items?
    Yes. Simply use the bind spell to bind the spell to your empty hand, and it will no longer be bound to any item.

Why can't my players cast spells?
    Why does it say "You cannot cast that spell right now" when I try to cast any spell?
    If you're using Permissions, please make sure your permissions are all set up correctly. Look in the Configuration: Permissions section for more information. Also double check and make sure your use-permissions config option is set to true.

What are the Permissions nodes?
    The nodes are listed on the permissions information page in the plugin manual.

I can't get my Permissions working! Can you help me?
    Remember that all nodes use the "real" spell name, rather than the name you define with the "name" option. If you cannot get your permissions working, feel free to ask for help. Make sure you specify which permissions plugin you are using, and all of the items from the "Help Me!" question above.

Will you add iConomy (or another economy plugin) support?
    With the addition of the 'tome' and 'scroll' spells, I currently have no plans to add special support for an economy plugin. You should be able to create tomes and scrolls and sell them using any plugin that allows you to sell items, thus allowing you to sell spells.

I have a great spell idea! Will you add it?
    Please tell me about it by submitting a ticket! I can't guarantee that I'll make it, but if it's a feasible idea, I'll definitely consider it. I'm always looking for new spell ideas. Note that I may not respond directly to your idea, but I always read the suggestions.

I've found a bug! What do I do?
    Please submit a ticket! Please include your CraftBukkit build number, any error in the console, the situation that caused the error (if known), and if you think it's applicable, the list of plugins you use.

Change Log

View full change log

Donate: Always gotta have a donate link for those who love their plugin authors.

2. Offline

nisovin

If you're op and have the default config it should give you all spells. Try turning on the debug option and tell me what the console says when you log in.
    Yes.

3. Offline

ryanjjjj

there is a plugin that stops ghast fireballs from causing an explosion. i dont know if the source code would help you but hears the link, link here. for users if you want to stop ghast explosions but not damage this works great :D

4. Offline

samknash222

Awesome thanks.

5. Offline

Altobot

Hey guys,

got a short question about the minion Spell. When I cast it, it says: you summon a undeat minion, but I cant see him. He just dont spawns.

I activated Monsters. I just got a plugin wich sets the normal spawn chance of them to 0. Is it because of that?

6. Offline

Werzieq

First thing - awsome plugin.
    Second thing - suggestions:
    Most of these are for channeling spells.
    A spell that summons any type of ore from the ground.
    A spell that drags a target towards you.
    A spell that blinds the target (how about the purple portal screen?)
    A spell curse that makes the target walk randomly for some time
    A spell that makes the target drop the held item about 10 blocks away

That's all for now! (more later) Keeep up The good work!

7. This plugin is awesone !!

Just two suggestion :

Can you make a graphical mana bar with Spout ?
    And Citizens Npc capable to learn a spell ?

Sorry for my bad English

8. Offline

Kagamijay

I've been lurking here for quite some time and I extremely appreciate the hard work you have put into this mod. I do ask, though; is there a way to have a channeling-style delay on specific spells (or if necessary, all spells)? If anyone can help, including other users of this mod, help would be appreciated. I thank any of you in advance.

9. Offline

Dezlix

I have the most annoying problem, and i can't figure it out, even though i have combed over the config file 100 times.
    Every time i use a stick and right click, a lightning strikes @ my cursor, and i change spells.
    How do i remove the lightning bolt?
    I've tried bind, but it didn't work..

10. Offline

nisovin

I'm going to assume that's the problem, yes.
    This isn't possible currently. What spells are you hoping to have channeled? Many (most) of the spells don't really make sense as channeled spells.
    This doesn't really sound like it's being caused by this plugin. Are you sure you don't have another plugin that's causing this?

11. Offline

Dezlix

I don't think so..
    The spells.PNG
    That's all my plugins, do you think they're fucking up eachother?

12. Offline

nisovin

What about WeatherPlugin? Seems that has a lightning tool.

13. Offline

Dezlix

It was!
    Thank you :D

14. Offline

PandaC0mmander

Hey, Im having some problems with your mod.
    My mage class all have permissions to use/learn/cast spells like /cast list.
    I enabled use permissions in the config and used /reload all on my server and still nothing.
    But I did have this error.

05:09:53 [SEVERE] Error occurred while enabling MagicSpells v1.0.1 (Is it up to date?): com/nisovin/MagicSpells/Spells/BlinkSpell
    java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/nisovin/MagicSpells/Spells/BlinkSpell
    at com.nisovin.MagicSpells.MagicSpells.load(MagicSpells.java:213)
    at com.nisovin.MagicSpells.MagicSpells.onEnable(MagicSpells.java:86)
    at org.bukkit.plugin.java.JavaPlugin.setEnabled(JavaPlugin.java:126)
    at org.bukkit.plugin.java.JavaPluginLoader.enablePlugin(JavaPluginLoader.java:878)
    at org.bukkit.plugin.SimplePluginManager.enablePlugin(SimplePluginManager.java:272)
    at org.bukkit.craftbukkit.CraftServer.loadPlugin(CraftServer.java:162)
    at org.bukkit.craftbukkit.CraftServer.enablePlugins(CraftServer.java:146)
    at org.bukkit.craftbukkit.CraftServer.reload(CraftServer.java:380)
    at org.bukkit.command.SimpleCommandMap$ReloadCommand.execute(SimpleCommandMap.java:281)
    at org.bukkit.command.SimpleCommandMap.dispatch(SimpleCommandMap.java:129)
    at org.bukkit.craftbukkit.CraftServer.dispatchCommand(CraftServer.java:312)
    at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.b(MinecraftServer.java:480)
    at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.h(MinecraftServer.java:465)
    at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.run(MinecraftServer.java:361)
    at net.minecraft.server.ThreadServerApplication.run(SourceFile:422)
    Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.nisovin.MagicSpells.Spells.BlinkSpell
    at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
    at org.bukkit.plugin.java.PluginClassLoader.findClass(PluginClassLoader.java:36)
    at org.bukkit.plugin.java.PluginClassLoader.findClass(PluginClassLoader.java:24)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
    ... 15 more
    Caused by: java.util.zip.ZipException: invalid LOC header (bad signature)
    at java.util.zip.ZipFile.read(Native Method)
    at java.util.zip.ZipFile.access$1200(Unknown Source)
    at java.util.zip.ZipFile$ZipFileInputStream.read(Unknown Source)
    at java.util.zip.ZipFile$1.fill(Unknown Source)
    at java.util.zip.InflaterInputStream.read(Unknown Source)
    at sun.misc.Resource.getBytes(Unknown Source)
    at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)
    at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$000(Unknown Source)
    ... 22 more

Thanks
    -Dan

15. Offline

alexmack929

Hi there this sounds like an amazing plugin, definitely gonna install it when I get a few things straight.

How much can I edit each spell? (What can I change)

For example, can I change the name of the explode spell to reducto? And will it work like /cast reducto?

16. Offline

nisovin

Looks like you may just have a bad copy. Try redownloading it.
    Yes and yes. Try looking at the config file to see all the options.

17. Offline

Kagamijay

Thank you for the quick reply. When I meant a channeling-style delay on spells, I had meant that attacking spells would have some sort of "charge up" time, where the player would stand still as the spell is being cast. I had forgotten to mention that the "channeling" is one player only. I do not expect you to go out of your way to add this idea, or even a similar idea, but I thank you for the dedication you have put toward this mod.

18. Offline

Amarnra

I believe Kagamijay is refering to 'cast times'. Usually the thing set in place in MMO's to balance out a casters high-end damage.

I have a question though;
    Would it be possible for a developer to add a plugin which spawns those little lava particle things which jump out of the lava around a players hand without the actual lava being there? Thanks in advance ^^
    ~Amarnra

19. Offline

alexmack929

When i make changes to my .config file, when the plugin loadds it resets it to the default config and when i put my own config as altConfig.yml, none of the commands resdpond and they are obviously being used as there is no 'no command by that name' message. Please help!

20. Offline

Werzieq

Just askin - have you considered these?

21. Offline

Kagamijay

Not to swarm you with posts, but Amarnra is completely correct. Just to clarify.

22. Offline

jazzman170

Ok so im confused as how to use the -base for scrolls. I use the plugin Showcase (croutch and click on stone slab to make a shop) and i make a scroll with 10 uses (stonevision) , shift click slab to make it infinite buys, set price to 2000 coins, and then i throw away my scroll which now has 9 uses (used 1 for making the shop cause i right click haha), bought a scroll from the shop and it has 9 uses, bought a second one which has 9 uses, go out and use the stonevision, now both scrolls have 8 uses (i unstacked them since they stacked).

Its just cloning the scroll completely so even the shop only has 8 uses left now. How do i make the showcase shop have each scroll as a standalone scroll?

23. Offline

nisovin

24. Offline

jazzman170

can somebody please help me with my above post about step by step how to use the -base scrolls? The only access to spells im giving my players on my server is permanent list, help, mark, and recall, and the rest of the spells of my choosing will be buy-able at NPC shop using showcase latest version. If i cant get the scrolls to work correctly im in a big disadvantage for the style i was going for :(

25. Offline

Werzieq

I am having problems setting up external spells :(

And also can you make it so that i can change /mana command to something else, i think it will conflict with Heroes :/

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2016
  26. Offline

nisovin

If you want you can open the jar and change the plugin.yml file.

27. Offline

Werzieq

Thanks :) if you want, I can give you more suggestions. I've been adding better versions if each spell, but my external spells wont work.

I'm also op and admin, but for some reason, I don't have confusion :F

28. Offline

Kagamijay

I have stumbled across another mod called boosCoolDown. Would this mod be a successful substitute for "cast-times"? This plugin causes warm-up on text commands, would the bound casting item still be affected?

I thank in advance.

29. Offline

Rurikar22

I'm trying to set spells to different types of ink so like 351:1 and 351:2, but it doesn't appear to be working. Any ideas?

As well is there any way to have shared cooldowns between spells? I'm trying to create a tier system of spells and the problem would be them being able to rotate between items.

30. Offline

Cirmius

Ey man, why i don't have spells in wand like fireball etc. ;/ ?

31. Offline

Rurikar22

Another question. For external spells is it possible to give them access to a command they wouldn't normally have access to? So for example a world edit command or even a simple /item or /i so they can't USE the command on there own, but can have permission to do so through spells?