Inactive [FUN] MagicSpells - Add magic to your server

Discussion in 'Inactive/Unsupported Plugins' started by nisovin, May 8, 2011.

1. Offline

nisovin

MagicSpells - Add magic to your server!

View the plugin on BukkitDev!

MagicSpells is a plugin that creates spells your players can use. Its main purpose is to give your players access to certain abilities that you might not want to give them unlimited access to. Each spell can be assigned customized reagent (item) costs, cooldowns. durations, ranges, and so on. Spells can be cast by using the /cast command, swinging a wand, or both. It's all customizable.

Download

Important: Read before downloading! There is a lot of information in this post. I know, it's a lot to read. However, I spent quite a while writing it all in what I hope is a clear, informative, and understandable manner. So, please, read the entire post before asking a question. Chances are, the answer is already here. I also suggest taking a nice look through the configuration file. Is it a massive file? Yes, it is. But if your question is "can I do this?" then a look through the configuration options would be a good idea.
    Plugin Manual

There is a lot of useful information in the plugin manual, which can be found here:

MagicSpells Plugin Manual

Usage

Spells can be cast either by using the /cast command or by using a wand item. To cast a spell, a player must first know the spell. Server operators know all spells by default. They can teach spells to other players by using the teach spell. For example, to teach bob the blink spell, an operator would type: /cast teach bob blink.

Bob can now use the blink spell. He can either cast it by command, by typing /cast blink, or he can cast it with a wand item. To select the spell, he holds the wand in his hand and right clicks. Right clicking will cycle through any spells assigned to the item he is holding. When he has the one he wants, he left clicks to cast.

If Bob does not have the required reagents for the spell, or if he has cast it recently and it is still on cooldown, he will not be able to cast the spell and will instead receive an error message.

If mana is enabled, a player can use the /mana command to see how much mana they currently have.

Spells

View Spell List

Configuration

The zip file contains a config.yml file that should go into the MagicSpells folder within your plugins directory. The default configuration has appropriate spell costs, durations, and messages for each spell. However, you will most likely want to customize this to fit your server.

You can modify the config.yml file directly, or you can choose to leave it intact and instead create an alternate config file, by default altConfig.yml. Any configuration values in this alternate file will override the values in the main config file.

There are some general configuration options that apply to all spells, as well as options for each individual spell. Important: The default configuration file does NOT contain all config options, it is just an example. Just because a config option isn't in the default doesn't mean it is not available. For example, it's possible to add a duration to any buff spell, even though the default configuration file does not have a duration on all buff spells.

To reload the configuration, simply cast the fake reload spell (/cast reload). Only server operators can do this (it can also be done from the command line).

Please see the plugin manual for information about all of the various configuration options.

Frequently Asked Questions

Help me! Why isn't it working?
    If - after reading through this entire post - you can't figure out why it isn't working, please take the time to submit a proper help request. You can post your request either on in this thread or in the MagicSpells forum. You should provide the following information:
    • The CraftBukkit build you're using.
    • The MagicSpells version you're using.
    • Which permissions plugin (if any) you are using.
    • The error in the console, if there is one.
    • Your config file(s). Please don't post them directly , use a service like http://pastebin.com and just post the link.
    It says I need reagents whenever I cast a spell! Where do I get reagents?
    One of the main ideas behind this plugin is to give players cool abilities, but with a cost. The reagents are the spell's cost. This can be configured in the config.yml file individually for every spell. The config option name is "cost". You can also add your name to the list of exceptions in the general.cast-for-free option.

Can I unbind spells from items?
    Yes. Simply use the bind spell to bind the spell to your empty hand, and it will no longer be bound to any item.

Why can't my players cast spells?
    Why does it say "You cannot cast that spell right now" when I try to cast any spell?
    If you're using Permissions, please make sure your permissions are all set up correctly. Look in the Configuration: Permissions section for more information. Also double check and make sure your use-permissions config option is set to true.

What are the Permissions nodes?
    The nodes are listed on the permissions information page in the plugin manual.

I can't get my Permissions working! Can you help me?
    Remember that all nodes use the "real" spell name, rather than the name you define with the "name" option. If you cannot get your permissions working, feel free to ask for help. Make sure you specify which permissions plugin you are using, and all of the items from the "Help Me!" question above.

Will you add iConomy (or another economy plugin) support?
    With the addition of the 'tome' and 'scroll' spells, I currently have no plans to add special support for an economy plugin. You should be able to create tomes and scrolls and sell them using any plugin that allows you to sell items, thus allowing you to sell spells.

I have a great spell idea! Will you add it?
    Please tell me about it by submitting a ticket! I can't guarantee that I'll make it, but if it's a feasible idea, I'll definitely consider it. I'm always looking for new spell ideas. Note that I may not respond directly to your idea, but I always read the suggestions.

I've found a bug! What do I do?
    Please submit a ticket! Please include your CraftBukkit build number, any error in the console, the situation that caused the error (if known), and if you think it's applicable, the list of plugins you use.

Change Log

View full change log

Donate: Always gotta have a donate link for those who love their plugin authors.

2. Offline

MindDefect

I can't believe you implemented those suggestions that quickly! Wow... thanks! Only bug for me so far is mana isn't consumed at all by using certain spells even if configured correctly on "cost" part of config (prayer, volley, and I think a couple others), it works for most spells though. Again, I'm amazed by your work on this plugin!

3. Offline

diegokilla

sorry i should have been a bit clearer, i meant the interval cost, i tried it with gills and it didnt seem to charge me anything over time

4. Offline

MindDefect

Yah I think its just a bug, some spells "like prayer" don't cost anything to cast and even ignore cooldown, and some time based spells like gills and safefall don't charge anything you put on interval it seems.

5. Offline

nisovin

Not sure what could be wrong. Do you have use-permissions set to true?
    Those spells consume mana for me. Are you sue you've set it up correctly?
    It's working fine for me. Keep in mind gills only charges the use cost every 15 seconds or so (the time it takes for the air bar to run out).

kahlilnc likes this.
  6. Offline

diegokilla

ah, ill have to do more testing to confirm this, sorry i was a bit lazy on testing on my end, but with groupmanager finally killed by CB928... my plate has been a bit full

kk i'll definately play with it, also, if i was to set the max mana to say, 1000 instead of 100, would it play nicely with the visual on the wood tool, as well as the chat bar??

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2016
  7. Offline

nisovin

Yes, it should work fine, though you might want to lower the mana bar size or it might wrap to a second line.

8. Offline

diegokilla

ah configurable size... I love when plugin devs make their plugins so flexible :D

9. Offline

MindDefect

Ok I can't tell what I did wrong in the config originally, but copying and pasting from default and editing from there fixed prayer....I'm a bad tester aren't I? :p

Still, I tried out some things with the "use-cost" and "use-cost-interval" with safe-fall just again though and even with default config I can't seem to make any use of the spell costing anything over time. But I will fool with it more since its probably my fault again..

10. Offline

mesiapk

nice i would like to do a review

11. Offline

MindDefect

AH, ok I'm not completely crazy for once (ok, at least I don't think so..). Prayer screwed up because I had enabled "use health bars", its not too much a problem for me since I really didn't need to use it since I planned on maybe only one spell costing health anyway.

Edit: forgot to add... even with "enable health bars" disabled, I also still think there is something a bit off with "use-cost" with a few select spells, I know "safefall" for sure. But again my track record with testing is not the most flawless as you already know :p

12. Offline

nisovin

Fine by me.
    Yeah, turning that on is going to give you errors. I'll remove the option completely in the next version. It was an experiment that didn't turn out the way I wanted. I've been testing the safefall use-cost and it seems to be working fine for me...

13. Offline

MindDefect

Ok for the use-cost that is my bad, didn't realize a new recommended bukkit was out, I relooked at the topic title and see [928] ! Silly me... it works now

14. Offline

diegokilla

quick question, can spellcopies be given their own permission nodes?

15. Offline

Janb

Hi nisovin,

First, mad props, a lot of us have been waiting for ever for this exact plugin--MS is it and beyond. Thank you, thank you.

Two quick questions, sorry if I missed them being answered elsewhere: is fireball supposed to spawn pick-up-able fire blocks, or actually set things ablaze? Would it be possible to add color support for the message text?

16. Offline

diegokilla

Ok sorry for the rapid-questions n such but...
    I can't seem to get the spellbook (bookshelf thingy) to work with #of uses
    i create a bookshelf with /cast spellbook lightning 3
    and it writes this to the books.txt
    aether:-118:63:-31:lightning:3
    then when a user who has permission nodes
    magicspells.cast.* and magicspells.learn.lightning
    clicks the bookshelf it says he learns it and it writes:
    lightning
    to his user.txt
    he can then go and use the spell an infinite amount of times

any idea what i'm doing wrong?

color support is in the config file, and fireball shoots a ghast-like fireball that damages blocks

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

17. Offline

Janb

Derp. Thanks. :)

Edit:

Er, other than 'text-color: 2'?

I meant like multiple colors in lines with escape characters.

18. Offline

diegokilla

o, i dunno bout that

19. Offline

ClonedInsanity

Gate co-ords don't seem to be working, I replaced the default SPAWN with x,y,z co-ords but it keeps telling me the teleport failed.
    Also would it be possible to add an option which allows you to select the number of minions spawned? Would be very handy.
    Other than that nice update.

20. Offline

nisovin

The number of uses defines how many times the bookshelf can teach a spell, not how many times the player can use it.
    Use the ampersand (&) and the color number.
    I'll look into this, but are you sure you've set the target correctly? Make sure you're specifying the empty air block, not the ground beneath it.

21. Offline

Janb

Doublederp. Thanks for your patience.

22. Offline

diegokilla

ooooooohhhh.... 'doh. So there is no way to limit the amount of times a player can actually cast a spell?

i spent HOURS last nite trying to achieve that :p

23. Offline

jlu

Hey dude, just for a little mistake: "Why can't my players cast spells?
    If you're using Permissions, please make sure your permissions are all set up correctly. Look in the Confuration: Permissions section for more information."

24. Offline

jeffdu

Hi Nisovin
    I just installed the v0.7.1 build and am having a problem with the Zap spell. When I type "/cast zap" I get an error message:
    "An internal error occured while attempting to perform this command"
    The server.log contains:
    [SEVERE] Could not pass event PLAYER_ANIMATION to MagicSpells
    java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/bukkit/Effect
    at com.nisovin.MagicSpells.Spells.ZapSpell.castSpell(ZapSpell.java:78)
    at com.nisovin.MagicSpells.Spell.cast(Spell.java:98)
    at com.nisovin.MagicSpells.Spell.cast(Spell.java:83)
    at com.nisovin.MagicSpells.MagicPlayerListener.onPlayerAnimation(MagicPlayerListener.java:93)
    at org.bukkit.plugin.java.JavaPluginLoader$14.execute(JavaPluginLoader.java:334)
    at org.bukkit.plugin.RegisteredListener.callEvent(RegisteredListener.java:58)
    at org.bukkit.plugin.SimplePluginManager.callEvent(SimplePluginManager.java:310)
    at net.minecraft.server.NetServerHandler.a(NetServerHandler.java:797)
    at net.minecraft.server.Packet18ArmAnimation.a(SourceFile:35)
    at net.minecraft.server.NetworkManager.b(NetworkManager.java:217)
    at net.minecraft.server.NetServerHandler.a(NetServerHandler.java:75)
    at net.minecraft.server.NetworkListenThread.a(SourceFile:105)
    at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.h(MinecraftServer.java:401)
    at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.run(MinecraftServer.java:311)
    at net.minecraft.server.ThreadServerApplication.run(SourceFile:422)
    All other spells that I've tried seem to be working ok.
    : This server is running Craftbukkit version git-Bukkit-0.0.0-889-g22f4388-b928jnks (MC: 1.6.6)

OK.
    Upgrading CraftBukkit to the latest build seemed to fix things :)
    Thanks for a great plug-in BTW.

25. Offline

diegokilla

@nisovin
    think it would be possible to add in a number of uses before the spell has to be re-learned?
    ie: johny goes to blink-spellbook-bookshelf to learn blink and learns the spell-X-3, he can then use blink 3 times before it is removed from his spells list, he would then need to go back to the bookshelf to relearn the spell, and get 3 more uses

26. Offline

ClonedInsanity

Yep, I've tried setting the Y co-ord a few blocks higher than what essentials and F3 tell me but it still doesn't work.

EDIT: The minion spell doesn't seem to ever spawn skeletons, even when the chance is set to 100.

27. Offline

nisovin

Version 0.7.2, another bug fix update, is released.
    Thanks, fixed.
    I'll consider it, but this is unlikely. It goes against the way the plugin works currently. Also, it seems kind of annoying, to be honest.
    The gate spell should be working. For minion, are you capitalizing Skeleton?
    Edit: On further investigation, it seems I made the default config wrong. The minion mob-chances list needs dashes in front, the same way the cost does.

28. Offline

riuthamus

1) can you make it where fireball doesn't work with pvp safe zones, and so it doesn't destroy land that is protected with worldguard.

2) can you try to see if pushback would work on players as well as just mobs.

3) see if firewalk could leave a trail of fire from you so people know you have firewalk on.

4) AOE Heal spell of some type... heal everybody with a certain range of you?

29. Offline

ClonedInsanity

Everything is working perfectly now, cheers for the quick fix.
    @riuthamus Add this to your pushback and it should work on players:
    Code:
    target-players: true

30. Offline

diegokilla

The idea was to drive our RP, and ecourage players to enter our magery-ish skyland-ish world, basically to get players/clans/factions up off there lazy butts and moving around the world/worlds :p

I understand how this would be a LOT of work to implement and totally understand why you wouldnt want to do it, however if there is anything I can do to help, don't hesitate to ask!

Btw this plugin is REALLY great, i am loving the customizability(?) of it! It really gives the server admins a lot of freedom and creative ability!

31. Offline

riuthamus

yeah, small oversight that we saw and fixed. Such a big config file. I would suggest making spell config separate from the normal on.