Essentials Breaks Basic Commands?

Discussion in 'General Help' started by TotalMCMan, Feb 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

TotalMCMan

Hey everybody, I believe this is my first post on this forum. I am once again trying to get up a good server like I had one upon a time but decided to get rid of it, and now after an aggravating day of setting up permissions, whenever I install Essentials I can not type in the command /help or anything. In the console it just says Player issued server command /help, and then nothing after that. It does absolutely nothing; not even an error. However when I typed in //wand, world edit did actually give me a wand. I believe essentials broke just the basic bukkit commands.

Any help with this is extremely appreciated. The server is still in progress however I plan to have it running by the end of today.

Thanks,
    TotalMCMan

Also, I'm not 100% steady with the perms yet, either. The ranking below owner is Immortal and they get the '*' node, however I've subtracted some things (like - -bukkit.command.stop). My friend Chris is not op and can still do this for some reason. :/

Any help is appreciated as always

EDIT by Timtower: merged posts

I need to start writing perms now... anyone know the solution to either of these problems? :(

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2015
  2. Offline

Boomer

need to see your whole perms file in order to interpret your permissions issues..

need to have you check your startup sequence to make sure essentials is even working - odds are its not, throwing globs of errors in startup, and just sitting there dead, thus the lack of responses. Or pastebin the entire log file after a fresh start

3. Offline

TotalMCMan

Here's the permissions list:
    Code:
    groups:
      Deity:
        default: false
        prefix: '&1[&4Owner&1]&f '
        permissions:
        - '*'
      Immortal:
        prefix: '&d[Immortal]&f '
        permissions:
        - '*'
        - -icu.expempt
        inheritance:
        - Emperor
      Emperor:
        prefix: '&6[Emperor]&f '
        permissions:
        - bukkit.command.tell
        - bukkit.command.kill
        - bukkit.command.me
        - bukkit.command.help
        - bukkit.command.kick
        - bukkit.command.ban.list
        - bukkit.command.teleport
        - bukkit.command.list
        - bukkit.command.time.*
        - bukkit.command.toggledownfall
        - bukkit.command.weather
        - bukkit.command.effect
        - worldedit.biome.info
        - worldedit.biome.list
        - worldedit.chunkinfo
        - worldedit.listchunks
        - worldedit.navigation.ascend
        - worldedit.navigation.descend
        - worldedit.navigation.ceiling
        - worldedit.navigation.jumpto.command
        - worldedit.navigation.thru.command
        - worldedit.navigation.up
        inheritance:
        - Chieftan
      Chieftan:
        prefix: '&2[Chieftan]&f '
        permissions:
        - bukkit.command.tell
        - bukkit.command.kill
        - bukkit.command.me
        - bukkit.command.help
        - bukkit.command.list
        inheritance:
        - Settler
      Settler:
        default: true
        prefix: '[Settler]'
        permissions:
        - bukkit.command.tell
        - bukkit.command.kill
        - bukkit.command.help
        - bukkit.command.list
    users:
        TotalMCMan:
            group:
            - Deity
            permissions:
            - permissions.*
        RubberEnder:
            group:
            - Immortal
            permissions:
        mikem610:
            group:
            - Immortal
            permissions:
        Sir_Sanford:
            group:
            - Immortal
            permissions:
        maggiestad2000:
            group:
            - Immortal
            permissions:

And the Error upon startup. I used the Essentials from bucket and a special Spigot one as well. This one is the Spigot Essentials:
    Code:
    [17:32:30 INFO]: [WorldGuard] 2 regions loaded for 'Steam Survival'

[17:32:30 INFO]: [WorldGuard] 0 regions loaded for 'Steam Survival_nether'

[17:32:30 INFO]: [WorldGuard] 0 regions loaded for 'Steam Survival_the_end'

[17:32:30 INFO]: [Essentials] Enabling Essentials vTeamCity

[17:32:30 INFO]: Bukkit version format changed. Version not checked.

[17:32:30 INFO]: git-Spigot-b73910a-726656b (MC: 1.8)

[17:32:30 INFO]: 1.8-R0.1-SNAPSHOT

[17:32:30 ERROR]: java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: java.nio.CharBuffer.subSequence(II)Ljava/nio/CharBuffer;

[17:32:30 ERROR]: Error occurred while enabling Essentials vTeamCity (Is it up to date?)

java.lang.NullPointerException

at com.earth2me.essentials.Essentials.onDisable(Essentials.java:348) ~[?:?]

at org.bukkit.plugin.java.JavaPlugin.setEnabled(JavaPlugin.java:323) ~[craftbukkit.jar:git-Spigot-b73910a-726656b]

at com.earth2me.essentials.Essentials.handleCrash(Essentials.java:747) ~[?:?]

at com.earth2me.essentials.Essentials.onEnable(Essentials.java:275) ~[?:?]

at org.bukkit.plugin.java.JavaPlugin.setEnabled(JavaPlugin.java:321) ~[craftbukkit.jar:git-Spigot-b73910a-726656b]

at org.bukkit.plugin.java.JavaPluginLoader.enablePlugin(JavaPluginLoader.java:335) [craftbukkit.jar:git-Spigot-b73910a-726656b]

at org.bukkit.plugin.SimplePluginManager.enablePlugin(SimplePluginManager.java:405) [craftbukkit.jar:git-Spigot-b73910a-726656b]

at org.bukkit.craftbukkit.v1_8_R1.CraftServer.loadPlugin(CraftServer.java:356) [craftbukkit.jar:git-Spigot-b73910a-726656b]

at org.bukkit.craftbukkit.v1_8_R1.CraftServer.enablePlugins(CraftServer.java:316) [craftbukkit.jar:git-Spigot-b73910a-726656b]

at net.minecraft.server.v1_8_R1.MinecraftServer.q(MinecraftServer.java:402) [craftbukkit.jar:git-Spigot-b73910a-726656b]

at net.minecraft.server.v1_8_R1.MinecraftServer.k(MinecraftServer.java:370) [craftbukkit.jar:git-Spigot-b73910a-726656b]

at net.minecraft.server.v1_8_R1.MinecraftServer.a(MinecraftServer.java:325) [craftbukkit.jar:git-Spigot-b73910a-726656b]

at net.minecraft.server.v1_8_R1.DedicatedServer.init(DedicatedServer.java:211) [craftbukkit.jar:git-Spigot-b73910a-726656b]

at net.minecraft.server.v1_8_R1.MinecraftServer.run(MinecraftServer.java:505) [craftbukkit.jar:git-Spigot-b73910a-726656b]

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:695) [?:1.6.0_65]

[17:32:30 INFO]: [Vault][Economy] Essentials Economy hooked.

[17:32:30 INFO]: [EssentialsProtect] Enabling EssentialsProtect vTeamCity

[17:32:30 ERROR]: Essentials not installed or failed to load. Essenials Protect is in emergency mode now.

[17:32:30 INFO]: [EssentialsSpawn] Enabling EssentialsSpawn vTeamCity

[17:32:30 INFO]: [ChestShop] Enabling ChestShop v3.8.1

[17:32:32 INFO]: [ChestShop] Vault loaded! Found an economy plugin!

[17:32:33 INFO]: [EssentialsChat] Enabling EssentialsChat vTeamCity

[17:32:33 INFO]: [EssentialsAntiBuild] Enabling EssentialsAntiBuild vTeamCity

4. Offline

Boomer

Bingo - essentials isn't running.
    As for permissions, given that 99% of the issues with permissions are due to the spatial formatting, you have to put permissions in a code box or into pastebin to preserve the intentation formats..

The Ljava/nio/CharBuffer error ... could be due to using an older java, that essentials build may have been built with java 7 and youre maybe running on java 6..

5. Offline

TotalMCMan

I've checked over the format of my permissions plenty of times, I apologize that I didn't put it in paste bin :( However I will update my java to see if essential runs. Thank you for the info :D

I have checked my java and found that I have java 8 update 31, which I believe is the latest. Does this mean something else went wrong?

6. Offline

Boomer

>>>however I've subtracted some things (like - -bukkit.command.stop)

no evidence of that in your file

please
    Restart server, and www.pastebin.com your ENTIRE FULL 100% complete log, not just parts.

7. Offline

TotalMCMan

8. Offline

Boomer

by "negative nodes" you mean "only one negative node: the icu.expempt one" (which itself is very likely a typo as well)
    Thats the only negative node you have in your file. And negative nodes should be listed before positive nodes, in each permission group

The other error is definitely from essentials, while its trying to read the config.yml file. Either you modified the file and broke it so badly it cant read the file input (ie, character encoding strangeness, file corruption, file not existing); it can't even recover from broken-so-badly state and threw low level errors, or, there is something specifically wrong with the build version of the file you have - contacting the spigot essentials forums/authours may be required, the majority of similar hits say "please file this bug on their site" only.

9. Offline

TotalMCMan

That is spelled incorrectly, my bad. However at one time I didn't allow the stop command but I trust admins with it now. I guess my problem is that they aren't before positive nodes.

I did not even touch the essentials config file, on the bukkit download or Spigot download. It does this with both...

I also get this error when using the recommended version of AutoSaveWorld for Spigot (the latest version). Maybe these problems are connected? http://pastebin.com/YqBUF3rs

And here is a newly generated Essentials config after an error upon startup http://pastebin.com/9gpiapyV

The permissions are fully functional however the default group doesn't work for some odd reason. The default group is given the /list command however they can't do it, even when I manually write their name in the permissions file...

10. Offline

Boomer

The unsupported major-minor version error is a JAVA core error - it means that the plugin was compiled with a java version higher than the one you are running.
    Which is tied to the essentials error.

You must be opening the server with java 6, despite it saying java 8 31.
    I see it is a mac, if it was windows, the main problem with java is that on a 64-bit OS, the 64 bit version is what you need to run minecraft, yet the 32 bit version is what the browser and auto-upgrade features will say is the current version.

I can't assist anymore than this - all the systems are saying that they are compiled on java versions that are higher and contain functions that the old java doesn't have, despite your saying java 8 is running it.
    Focus on verifying that information. Since java versions will all be in their own pathways, its possible your laucnher conifugrartion file points to the java6 rather than a java 7 or java 8 folder , as the older versions would be still present and not uninstalled with a major version change.

"even when i manually add their permission"
    Essentials list command? Essentials that doesn't properly run on the server?

and "manually add their permission to the file but doesnt work' raises connotations of having been done incorrectly, formatting glitchup, etc..

11. Offline

TotalMCMan

Ok, so in order to solve this problem once and for all, what do you suggest doing about Java? All I need now is to solve this Java problem. And also, it was the Bukkit command /list, not essentials.

Here are my permissions, call me out on anything incorrect... http://pastebin.com/XJXFQizV

Thanks for being so supportive, you've really helped a lot. :)

12. Offline

Boomer

sorry, i dont know macs enough to give advice on how to check your java version, how to change the java path in the launcher file, etc..

There is also a lot of reports for people about servers not working in java 8, and downgrading to java 7.

Permissions look fine i think, though the whole point of inheritance is to not have to keep retyping the same nodes over and over .. it may require an empty inheritance entry in the default group..

13. Offline

TotalMCMan

Thank you, I'll try. Thanks for being a great help, I'll look into that Java problem :D

So I'm happy to say that I have fixed the issue. It was java, after all, even though I did install version 7. My computer was only recognizing version six! For all of you who need to fix this, here is the page that helped me fix the problem.
    https://gist.github.com/johan/10590467#step-8
    Hopefully this gets around as I've seen plenty of posts about this issue circling the internet.

mactso likes this.
  14. Offline

Boomer

Figured it would be that, glad to see it was, and you're now hopefully on track

15. Offline

timtower Administrator Administrator Moderator

Merged double posts.
    @Boomer, @TotalMCMan Please use the edit button instead of double posting.

16. Offline

IngloriousFool

Hello everyone! I'm having the same issue as TotalMCMan, the only difference is that I'm on a PC.

Is there any way I can fix this?

Everything works perfectly fine until we add the essentials plugin, the moment we delete it it starts working again.
    We are not hosting the server the server is being hosted by Nitrous Networks, so everything is running on their equipment. We usually install the plugins directly from their panel and edit it there.

Hopefully this information helps.

Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.