Do you judge? xD

Discussion in 'BukkitDev Information and Feedback' started by JazzaG, Sep 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

JazzaG

When you decompile the plugins that go on Bukkitdev, what goes on through your head? Are you thinking "wow this guy was stupid to do it that way", or even "man that was smart, I'm going to do that in my plugin"?

Been reading all the topics where most of the staff say "we decompile to approve", and that got me thinking... :D

2. Offline

mbaxter ʇıʞʞnq ɐ sɐɥ ı

3. Offline

Gravity

There's at least something once a day that makes me just want to kick puppies.

Sometimes it's just really bizzare code or going to super-duper long way to do something, but actually the thing I relate to people more about is their behavior, not their code. Our job is not to understand code, but rather to make sure it's not malicious. Often times, unless you have something really fishy or weird in your code, your style doesn't matter to us.

What does matter is when people PM staff raging, flaming, usng horreble gramer tht i cant understand, or trying to steal people's code. It's pretty rude sometimes, and a total waste of our time. Probably over 100 times (not even close to an exageration) I have deleted a project because the person wrote a one-line description about how they worked really hard on this project, and then proceed to uploaded craftbukkit.jar and NoCheatPlus.jar to their files. Then, they will respond to your deletion PM either mad and telling me it's their code, or just asking if I can teach them how to program. If you're doing this, we're probably all going to laugh at you.

In any case, you can rest assured we don't make connections to people and judge them for having poor or beginner coding; that's not our job and it's usually not even registered when we go through files. It doesn't matter what we think of you either because nobody gets treated differently or remembered because their plugin was strange or not as good as it could be, and we would never call anyone out for that.

(I also have a few tips regarding plugin development that I've collected from my work at BukkitDev, if you're interested in seeing, they're here.)

4. Offline

Jacek

I have seen quite a few clever things done that I would not have even thought of trying, the only example I can think of is where someone was adding values to an enum via reflection. I can't remember why they were doing that or come up with a useful thing to do with it, still interesting :p

5. Offline

monotonehell

Because they can ;)

6. Offline

zipron

There is knowing java and knowing java. We learn a lot about java in college, so I might know better ways to do things than other people, others know much more about it than me. Good thing to give feedback, I still learn a lot about java every time I code, but it's not onyl "knowing the rules". It takes time to learn how to create clean, fast code without any performance drops =)

7. Offline

Omnitv

mbaxter, your a fan of google docs.

8. Offline

md_5

Yes we do judge.
    For example yesterday someone found a plugin which did something like this:
    Code:
            if(args.length == 1) {
                Bukkit.broadcastMessage(ChatColor.RED + player.getName() + ChatColor.RED + " shouts: " + ChatColor.RED + args[0]);
            }

if(args.length == 2) {
                Bukkit.broadcastMessage(ChatColor.RED + player.getName() + ChatColor.RED + " shouts: " + ChatColor.RED + args[0] + " " + args[1]);
            }

if(args.length == 3) {
                Bukkit.broadcastMessage(ChatColor.RED + player.getName() + ChatColor.RED + " shouts: " + ChatColor.RED + args[0] + " " + args[1] + " " + args[2]);
            }

if(args.length == 4) {
                Bukkit.broadcastMessage(ChatColor.RED + player.getName() + ChatColor.RED + " shouts: " + ChatColor.RED + args[0] + " " + args[1] + " " + args[2] + " " + args[3]);
            }

if(args.length == 5) {
                Bukkit.broadcastMessage(ChatColor.RED + player.getName() + ChatColor.RED + " shouts: " + ChatColor.RED + args[0] + " " + args[1] + " " + args[2] + " " + args[3] + " " + args[4]);
            }
    Not picking on anybody, but being honest, it is nice to have a laugh every now and again.
    All the staff love google docs. mbaxter is a fan of trello.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.