Check if client is vanilla/unmodded

Discussion in 'Archived: Plugin Requests' started by LSky, Apr 23, 2011.

1. Offline

LSky

I guess this is not the first time this has been requested, but the ball really needs to get rolling on this issue. There needs to be an application/plugin/whatever that can verify if the client data has been modified or not. The amount of cheating that I encountered as an administrator in the last week or so has increased dramatically to the point where running a popular server without a whitelist is impossible to start with (it went well for the last 2 months but I guess the good times are over). Is there anything the serverside software can do in order to achieve this, or does it have to come from Mojang?

2. Offline

ThomasJ

Let me put it to you this way.

The client runs in an enviroment where anything can be done to it. Even more so since it's Java and easy to modify. This means that the client can be modified in such a way that it can report to the server that it has not been modified in any way.

Security has to be done server side. You have no control over the client and cannot trust the client. Mojang needs to move limitations serverside, which they already have started doing.