Inactive [CHAT] SimpleCensor v0.2.3 - A simple, powerful chat censoring system [1060]

Discussion in 'Inactive/Unsupported Plugins' started by tee jay, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Offline

tee jay

[​IMG]
    SimpleCensor - A simple, powerful chat censoring system:
    Version: v0.2.3
    Tested Builds: B544,B560,B588,B612,B677,B684,B714,B740,B766,B798,B803,B818,B860,B1060

SimpleCensor is a stand-alone censor aiming to fix common problems with existing censors. Many censors are very easily fooled by inserting spaces, continuing a word, or using caps. SimpleCensor is not.

[​IMG]

Features:
    • SimpleCensor censors words you put in config, replacing them with whatever char you tell it to
    • Censors with spaces/other chars separating: If "word" should be censored, "wo rd" or "wo.rd" will not sneak past! Results in "** **" and "**.**" respectively.
    • Censored words don't need to be a separate, verbatim word: If "word" should be censored, "wording" will be censored. Results in "****ing"
    • Not fooled by caps: "word" and "WORD" will be censored the same!
    Download SimpleCensor:

Newest: Latest
    Previous: v0.2.1, v0.2.2

Like SimpleCensor?
    Help me out!

[​IMG]

Changelog:
    Version 0.2.3
    • Changed how plugin handles special chars at the end of messages to hopefully fix out of range exception
    Version 0.2.2

• Changed priority to hopefully work with other chat plugins(HeroChat)
    Version 0.2.1

• Added some words to the default censor list generation
    Version 0.2

• Fixed SimpleCensor causing messages being censored to become entirely lower case
    Version 0.1

• Initial release

itsatacoshop247 likes this.
  2. Offline

Puremin0rez

Finally, a censor system that doesn't suck.

3upman, CoolOppo and prosay like this.
  3. Offline

minecraftworlds

Thank you.
    A working censor system is just what my server needed. I need to shut up those few players without manners....

4. Offline

aehoooo

Cool. It would be nice if it catched words separeted by . and by repetitives letters like laag, laaag, l.ag.
    Also, individual word censor replacements would be great. Lag turns into ***, badwords turn into XXX, so u could set the result word by word.

5. Offline

tee jay

Thanks, that's what it's for!

This actually should already work for any non-alphanumeric separator, space was just the one I posted. IE "word" and "wo.rd" should both be censored if "word" is on the censor word list. I have updated OP to reflect that.

Good ideas! The repeating characters is something I definitely think I should do and I'll try to update this for that eventually. As for individual word replacements--I could do that but then configuration would be slightly more complex, but I think I might actually have a good idea of how to do it in a very simple way.

Thanks for the feedback!

6. Offline

Tasqa

ah I'm gonna try this one out :)

7. Offline

Nathan C

Darn, doesen't work with Herochat...

8. Offline

tee jay

Whether or not you have a chat plugin shouldn't matter as long as it doesn't do something really strange with the message, as all I go is read it in then set a new censored version of the message. In fact, I run this in parallel with iChat, but I don't know anything about herochat so I guess I can't say anything, but I'll look at it.

EDIT: Ah, I see the problem. Since HeroChat has a chat "channel" system, it in fact cancels the chat event after it's read in the message so it can send to people in that channel and not to everyone. I believe I could just register my priority lower so I get the event first. I'll try it and reply.

9. Offline

tinto

Cyrilic not working

10. Offline

tee jay

Care to elaborate?

11. Offline

Skadar

This would actually add a bit of fun to the censoring. I find it amusing when forums use word replacement instead of straight censoring.

For instance, a user might try to say: "Damn, I hate this crap!
    And SimpleCensor would return: "Jeepers, I hate this pancake!

It cracks me up when a user is trying to be harsh and the system makes them look like a dork. Possible side-effect is confusing chat.

12. Offline

tee jay

Agreed and I do plan to add that feature.

My hobby: replacing cuss words with "waffle" or "waffling"
    "Stupid waffles man, waffling all my things"

13. Offline

tee jay

Could you or anyone else using HeroChat test this to see if it works?

SimpleCensor 0.2.2

14. Offline

The PC Tech Guy

Looks interesting, I wonder how it will play with ChatCensor. ChatCensor is new, but introduces a few new features.

15. Offline

Skadar

I believe that someone on my server just tried to use a foreign character in chat, and SimpleCensor threw a "severe" java error. Just thought you might want to know.

Code:
    17:23:57 [SEVERE] Could not pass event PLAYER_CHAT to SimpleCensor
    java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException: String index out of range: 17
            at java.lang.AbstractStringBuilder.insert(AbstractStringBuilder.java:975)
            at java.lang.StringBuffer.insert(StringBuffer.java:463)
            at com.bukkit.tj007razor.simplecensor.Censor.censorMessage(Censor.java:66)
            at com.bukkit.tj007razor.simplecensor.SimpleCensorPlayerListener.onPlayerChat(SimpleCensorPlayerListener.java:33)
            at org.bukkit.plugin.java.JavaPluginLoader$6.execute(JavaPluginLoader.java:187)
            at org.bukkit.plugin.RegisteredListener.callEvent(RegisteredListener.java:59)
            at org.bukkit.plugin.SimplePluginManager.callEvent(SimplePluginManager.java:255)
            at net.minecraft.server.NetServerHandler.chat(NetServerHandler.java:614)
            at net.minecraft.server.NetServerHandler.a(NetServerHandler.java:602)
            at net.minecraft.server.Packet3Chat.a(SourceFile:24)
            at net.minecraft.server.NetworkManager.a(SourceFile:230)
            at net.minecraft.server.NetServerHandler.a(NetServerHandler.java:76)
            at net.minecraft.server.NetworkListenThread.a(SourceFile:100)
            at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.h(MinecraftServer.java:357)
            at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.run(MinecraftServer.java:272)
            at net.minecraft.server.ThreadServerApplication.run(SourceFile:366)

16. Offline

tee jay

Hmm...I don't see how a foreign character would specifically cause an index out of range error, but thanks! I think I have a possible "fix" to this(which is to add things back to the end of the string instead of inserting them when they are at the end).

I should have a new build soon if you could try testing it.

17. Offline

Deltaforce229

I really love this plugin and it is by far the best chat censor plugin I have used. There is however one small flaw, some legit words get censored. If I type "was so happy" I get "w** *o happy" because the word "ass" is censored.

18. Offline

tee jay

Thanks! Also, that's right. That is one drawback to using my method of censoring. Both the way iChat works and this have their own drawbacks(iChat doesn't like to catch a whole lot of things, this plugin occasionally results in unintended censoring), but I think the benefits outweigh that. It mostly means you need to choose your censored words carefully, like instead of censoring "ass", censor that + "hole". Unfortunately detecting whether it is part of another word would be a relatively complicated algorithm.

Again, thanks for your compliments!

19. Offline

Greylocke

fyi- this plugin seems to be working for [602]. A lot of plugins broke with the latest RB -- yours seemed to dodge that bullet. You might want to do your own testing to confirm, and then update your thread title. It won't be too long before the moderators start marking threads as [inactive].

20. Offline

tee jay

Thanks! I did some testing and it does in fact appear to have all functionality with the latest build.

21. Offline

Thatotherguy

This plugin works, it is simple and easy to use, it does not conflict with other plugins... Well, it's awesome.

22. Offline

EvanCraft

Thanks, this is just what i needed :D

23. Offline

SAMDAN

So if a word is separated, like this: wo rd, will it still censor that? I find people to be very resourceful in finding ways to get past censoring... Please quote me to respond.
    EDIT: Also if a word is separated by another character, I would hope it wold censor it. (Such as wo&rd.)

24. Offline

PhireX

It should have a support to add more then one character, as in if "word" would be censored, it should say
    "MINECRAFT", even if the word is only 4 letters long.

25. Offline

Thelyfe21

It blocks out spaces and symbols. I use it on my server. The only thing it doesn't censor is repeated letters, so if you censor Minecraft, Miiinecraft would be unblocked.

26. Offline

2insane

Is it just me or is the link broken?

27. Offline

SAMDAN

thanks.
    EDIT: Maybe next time I should read the first post before I ask a question....

28. Offline

tee jay

The link is not broken, but my server was unstable/down at the time of your posting because of a DDOS attack.

29. Offline

2insane

Oh, ok, cool. Thanks a lot by the way.

30. Offline

Juze

Please update to latest RB for releases.