Inactive [CHAT] jChat v1.4.3 - Simple chat prefixes and suffixes [1.1-R4]

Discussion in 'Inactive/Unsupported Plugins' started by grandwazir, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Offline

grandwazir

jChat is a simple and flexible plugin for the Minecraft wrapper Bukkit designed to allow adding prefixes and suffixes to players names. Currently it is only compatible with SuperPerms, the permissions system in Bukkit.

Features
    • Lightweight: only manages prefixes and suffixes.
    • Modifies join, death and quit messages to reflect player's display names.
    • Player list (tab) now reflects player's display names.
    • Fast: Formats a players' name permanently on login and when a player changes worlds.
    • Good citizen: Does not interfere with other chat plugins.
    • Simple: Very easy to configure, simply assign the permission nodes to players.
    Installation

Ensure you are using the latest recommended build.

Before installing, you need to make sure you are running at least the latest recommended build for Bukkit. Support is only given for problems when using a recommended build. This does not mean that the plugin will not work on other versions of Bukkit, the likelihood is it will, but it is not supported.

Getting jChat

The best way to install jChat is to use the symbolic link to the latest version. This link always points to the latest version of jChat, so is safe to use in scripts or update plugins. Additionally you can to use the RSS feed provided by BukkitDev as this also includes a version changelog.

Alternatively older versions are available as well, however they are not supported. If you are forced to use an older version for whatever reason, please let me know why by opening a issue on GitHub.

Configuration

Read the documentation

All documentation for jChat is available on the GitHub wiki, including example usage and details on how to configure the plugin.

FredKing27 and Pilkie like this.
  2. Offline

ichingpow

Edit: Got it all working. Something was really, really weird.

3. Offline

godsyn

Working well. Thank you, again!

Version info:
    Code:
    2011-12-20 00:44:28 [INFO] [VANISH] Now hooking into Essentials
    2011-12-20 00:44:28 [INFO] [VANISH] Now hooking into Dynmap
    2011-12-20 00:44:28 [INFO] [VANISH] Version 1.8.7 enabled.
    2011-12-20 11:30:09 [INFO] [jChat] jChat v1.4.1 is enabled.
    Code:
    >jchat reload
    15:26:43 [WARNING] [jChat] DisplayName is too long by 1 characters to be used on the PlayerList: §4davidbullship§f
    15:26:43 [INFO] jChat has been reloaded.
    Issue:

This is fine, but the name now displays in the tab list when the user is vanished. Is this something I should attempt to resolve here, or should the author of vanishnopacket look in to it?

In other respects: while I love having the playerlist colored, I was unaware that there was a character limit. I'm unsure as to which would be more preferred, and I leave it to your designation as it is your plugin: perhaps trimming the name on "tab" would be preferred over leaving it white. I'm just spouting ideas. Please don't mistake this as a feature request.

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2016
  4. Offline

RainofEvol

Is it just me or is the plugin supposed to be this way? it only shows my prefix on login but when i normally talk it doesn't is there a way to fix that? Thanks

5. Offline

Leemur

Hello. I really need this plugin it's great, but I can't leave the Permissions 2.74 plugin, because I have scripts and pages in .php, and all other my plugins works fine with Permissions 2.74.
    This plugin doesn't support 2.74 version of Permissions. Can you add it?

6. Offline

ichingpow

No. You update. One day Permissions 2.7.4 will break and you'll be screwed.

Sorry, but it's time to update.

7. Offline

grandwazir

Support for the Permissions API was removed due to it now being inactive and unsupported. I strongly encourage you to consider upgrading as other plugins will be doing the same. In the mean time you can use version 1.2.0 which gives you all the basic functionality while being able to use the Permissions API.

8. Offline

Leemur

1.2.0 doesn't have coloured TAB support.

9. Offline

godsyn

That is correct, Leemur.

You will not find any plugin that has colored name in tab support that also supports an out dated, unsupported plugin like permissions. Please update to superperms, or use 1.2.0. It is not in a plugin author's best interests to attempt to support a defunct plugin.

10. Offline

kinglime

It is only working when I join the game. When I simply talk it does not work. I am using PermissionsBukkit.

11. Offline

Xenomaldo

can you use colour codes with this?

12. Offline

scuba2dan

I am also getting the same problem.

When I first join the game it will say. [Owner]Scuba2Dan has just joined the game.

When I type into chat it will just list my username, with no prefix.

Show Spoiler

Code:
    debugging: false
    colour-messages:
      death: true
      join: true
      quit: true
    prefix:
      peasant: '&WHITE[Peasant]&WHITE'
      squire: '&YELLOW[Squire]&WHITE'
      champion: '&GOLD[Champion]&WHITE'
      knight: '&DARK_BLUE[Knight]&WHITE'
      lord: '&BLUE[Lord]&WHITE'
      baron: '&AQUA[Baron]&WHITE'
      king: '&DARK_PURPLE[King]&WHITE'
      tmod: '&LIGHT_GREEN[tMod]&WHITE'
      mod: '&DARK_GREEN[Mod]&WHITE'
      admin: '&RED[Admin]&WHITE'
      owner: '&DARK_RED[Owner]&WHITE'
    suffix:
      default: ''

An example of my PEX;

Code:
        Owner:
            default: false
            permissions:
            - jchat.prefix.owner
            - '*'
            - worldguard.auto-invincible
            inheritance:
            options:
                build: true

I am using PEX (up-to-date).

After editing and adding more prefixes. It is now defaulting everyone to the [Peasant] Rank when they join the server and then will not list their rank in the chat.

13. Offline

ray0911

Using herochat with this plugin. Also using permissionsbukkit. However it only works when i type "/jchat refresh".... help?:(

14. Offline

Epics

Is there any way to remove the <> from the titles?
    I.E
    [Member] Epics
    instead of them...
    <[Member] Epics>
    Ah, I see that it only uses the prefix.
    I would love if it were available to use to use a global term such as...
    [Member] playername:
    and could remove the default vanilla <> from the command entirely.
    This is also annoying...
    2012-01-05 01:36:02 [WARNING] [jChat] DisplayName is too long by 5 characters to be used on the PlayerList: §c[Builder]§f epics§f

15. Offline

FrQcJean-LeCnR

Color prefix dont work for me.I have Player manager for permission

16. Offline

Rich Boos

+1 Same here, PermissionsBukkit, HeroChat, and jChat

17. Offline

godsyn

18. Offline

grandwazir

Sadly we can not. Although .setPlayerListName does not count colour codes, the vanilla client will not connect to any server if the any ListName contains more than 16 characters including colour codes. This change isn't actually helpful until the client supports longer names.

ray0911 kinglime scuba2dan

Another plugin is clearing the displayName I am setting when your players login.

Try it again with just your PermissionManager and jChat loaded and see if that solves the problem. If it does you will need to load plugins one by one until you find out which one is doing it.

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2016
  19. Offline

ichingpow

Do you think you could still colour the name but only show the first 16 characters including the colours?

20. Offline

godsyn

Thanks for the explanation!

21. Offline

nighthawkie

Smallish problem.. When players join the server, it has the prefix in colour, and it works perfectly, then when they talk in the chat it will still appear, but without colour..

e.g.

[Admin]nighthawkie has joined game <--- (in colour)
    [Admin]nighthawkie: test <--- white.. without colours

22. Offline

godsyn

Craftbukkit version:
    jChat version:
    Other plugins are you using:
    Are there any console errors?

23. Offline

fussionzz97

im having a problem assigning the prefixes to players im running permissionsbukkit

Jchat config:
    debugging: false
    colour-messages:
    prefix:
    default: '&WHITE[Guest]<'
    member: '&GRAY[Member]<'
    builder: '&DARK_GREEN[Builder]<'
    advbuilder: '&GREEN[AdvBuilder]<'
    vip: '&YELLOW[VIP]<'
    moderator: '&RED[Moderator]<'
    operator: '&DARK_RED[Operator]<'
    owner: '&DARK_RED[Owner]<'
    i add jchat.prefix.owner: true to my permission restart, and still only have the default prefix (Guest)

anyhelp? Thanks!

24. Offline

ipaqmaster

Exactly the same problem here. I have all my configurations for names set up HOWEVER...
    No matter what I do they always get Default's suffix/prefix/everything for their names which is annoying

25. first there were many errors:
    Code:
    2012-01-29 14:23:58 [SEVERE] Could not pass event org.bukkit.event.player.PlayerJoinEvent to jChat
    java.lang.NullPointerException
        at name.richardson.james.jchat.messages.PlayerListener.colourMessage(PlayerListener.java:56)
        at name.richardson.james.jchat.messages.PlayerListener.onPlayerJoin(PlayerListener.java:42)
        at org.bukkit.plugin.java.JavaPluginLoader$1.execute(JavaPluginLoader.java:270)
        at org.bukkit.plugin.RegisteredListener.callEvent(RegisteredListener.java:57)
        at org.bukkit.plugin.SimplePluginManager.callEvent(SimplePluginManager.java:453)
        at net.minecraft.server.ServerConfigurationManager.c(ServerConfigurationManager.java:129)
        at net.minecraft.server.NetLoginHandler.b(NetLoginHandler.java:121)
        at net.minecraft.server.NetLoginHandler.a(NetLoginHandler.java:87)
        at net.minecraft.server.Packet1Login.handle(Packet1Login.java:70)
        at net.minecraft.server.NetworkManager.b(NetworkManager.java:226)
        at net.minecraft.server.NetLoginHandler.a(NetLoginHandler.java:47)
        at net.minecraft.server.NetworkListenThread.a(NetworkListenThread.java:61)
        at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.w(MinecraftServer.java:536)
        at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.run(MinecraftServer.java:434)
        at net.minecraft.server.ThreadServerApplication.run(SourceFile:465)

And now all names are white :(

what can I do?

26. Offline

51B0RG

same as these two.
    CBKK v: craftbukkit-1.1-R1-20120125.060233-101
    jChat v 1.4.1
    Plugins: Admin CMD;Minecraft Viewer;PermissionsBukkit;PluginMetrics;WorldEdit
    Errors:not that i can tell

27. Offline

Matsuro

Doesn't look like this has been answered. Is there any way to remove the brackets(<name>)?

28. Offline

Bekz

Anyone that has done the above and yet is still having issues with getting non-default prefixes/suffixes to show up go to your plugins folder and DELETE EssentialsChat.jar

29. Offline

enkious

Code:
    11:29:54 [WARNING] Unexpected exception while parsing console command
    org.bukkit.command.CommandException: Unhandled exception executing command 'jcha
    t' in plugin jChat v1.4.1
            at org.bukkit.command.PluginCommand.execute(PluginCommand.java:42)
            at org.bukkit.command.SimpleCommandMap.dispatch(SimpleCommandMap.java:16
    8)
            at org.bukkit.craftbukkit.CraftServer.dispatchCommand(CraftServer.java:3
    86)
            at org.bukkit.craftbukkit.CraftServer.dispatchCommand(CraftServer.java:3
    82)
            at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.b(MinecraftServer.java:574)
            at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.w(MinecraftServer.java:551)
            at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.run(MinecraftServer.java:435)
    Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
            at name.richardson.james.jchat.jChatHandler.replaceChatColors(jChatHandl
    er.java:105)
            at name.richardson.james.jchat.jChatHandler.getTitle(jChatHandler.java:9
    1)
            at name.richardson.james.jchat.jChatHandler.getPrefix(jChatHandler.java:
    71)
            at name.richardson.james.jchat.jChatHandler.setPlayerDisplayName(jChatHa
    ndler.java:56)
            at name.richardson.james.jchat.jChatHandler.setPlayerDisplayNames(jChatH
    andler.java:66)
            at name.richardson.james.jchat.management.ReloadCommand.execute(ReloadCo
    mmand.java:64)
            at name.richardson.james.jchat.util.command.PlayerCommand.onCommand(Play
    erCommand.java:71)
            at name.richardson.james.jchat.CommandManager.onCommand(CommandManager.j
    ava:39)
            at org.bukkit.command.PluginCommand.execute(PluginCommand.java:40)
            ... 7 more
    >jchat reload
    11:30:08 [SEVERE] Config file plugins\jChat\config.yml isn't valid! mapping valu
    es are not allowed here
     in "<string>", line 7, column 7:
          pony: '&BLUE'
              ^
    I dunno wtf to do n e more.

30. Offline

MarioG1

Hi,
    your plugin works great but if somebody joins and quit i get this error:

Code:
    2012-02-14 10:55:20 [SEVERE] Could not pass event org.bukkit.event.player.PlayerJoinEvent to jChat
    java.lang.NullPointerException
        at name.richardson.james.jchat.messages.PlayerListener.colourMessage(PlayerListener.java:56)
        at name.richardson.james.jchat.messages.PlayerListener.onPlayerJoin(PlayerListener.java:42)
        at org.bukkit.plugin.java.JavaPluginLoader$1.execute(JavaPluginLoader.java:270)
        at org.bukkit.plugin.RegisteredListener.callEvent(RegisteredListener.java:61)
        at org.bukkit.plugin.SimplePluginManager.callEvent(SimplePluginManager.java:460)
        at net.minecraft.server.ServerConfigurationManager.c(ServerConfigurationManager.java:131)
        at net.minecraft.server.NetLoginHandler.b(NetLoginHandler.java:121)
        at net.minecraft.server.NetLoginHandler.a(NetLoginHandler.java:87)
        at net.minecraft.server.Packet1Login.handle(Packet1Login.java:70)
        at net.minecraft.server.NetworkManager.b(NetworkManager.java:226)
        at net.minecraft.server.NetLoginHandler.a(NetLoginHandler.java:47)
        at net.minecraft.server.NetworkListenThread.a(NetworkListenThread.java:61)
        at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.w(MinecraftServer.java:537)
        at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.run(MinecraftServer.java:435)

jchat version: 1.4.1
    Bukkit version: 1.1-R4

31. Offline

grandwazir

Is this every time or just some of the time?