CHALLENGE! Might be in the wrong place though.

Discussion in 'WIP and Development Status' started by calebbfmv, Oct 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

calebbfmv

I was thinking, why not a application that notifies you whenever one of the people you follow post something (started topic or something configurable) and send an alert to your phone.

Rules:
    Must be able to send to Iphone or Android.
    Must be configurable (highly)
    Option to go directly to the link.
    Option to auto-login.
    Must be GNU
    Source must be posted with it (For the noobies out there [least offensive way possible])
    You may work in a group or solo, doesn't matter to me.
    Must be your work, or have the written consent (email or letter) to release this to the public.
    Must be free.
    Have fun

Deadline:
    Christmas (December 25, 2012)

Post will be edited with more things as I see fit.

Have fun!

2. Offline

-_Husky_-

Got a feeling this is for personal use rather than a challenge

Sushi, hawkfalcon and ZeusAllMighty11 like this.
  3. Offline

calebbfmv

No actually, I dont really need it that much, I was just bored so I wanted to see.

4. Offline

Jsn_man

Are you asking for a plugin that sends text messages to phones?

5. Offline

gamerzap

Jsn_man No, he's asking for a java application that does that, I think.

6. Offline

kroltan

It would be bot a J2ME app and Android and iPhone, or just sending messages to those? Also, who would "host" the app for checking it? Possibly in the person's computer, but how to send a message to the phone? Or the app would have to be open at all times in the user's phone (but J2ME wouldn't update in background, so...).
    Isn't it easier just activating email notifications on you Bukkit account and use a email client on the phone?

7. Offline

LucasEmanuel

Im confused? Is this to be integrated with a plugin on a bukkit server to notify you when a player does something or is this about notifications on this forum?

8. Offline

kroltan

It's an application to notify about the Bukkit forum.

9. Offline

calebbfmv

NO plugin.
    It is an app!
    I dont need it, others might.

It would run in the background.

10. Offline

kroltan

J2ME (the java ran on non-smartphones) doesn't run in background, AFAIK. It stays paused and will resume when the user switches to it.

11. Offline

calebbfmv

Well then, smartphones is what we need

12. Offline

ChrisixStudios

You just create an Android app that can get into Bukkit's Database and when you have something knew show it on the screen and then the rest is simple after that as long as you can get the information. (iPhone would be much harder and cost money but its the same idea) And i might do this once I have most of my current project down because I could use this

I will be working on this project on the side. I am waiting to get access to the Bukkit Forum and BukkitDev databases.

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2016
    calebbfmv likes this.
  13. Offline

calebbfmv

Nice thanks!
    Don't feel rushed, I don't have a smartphone for this so I am in no need!

14. Offline

ChrisixStudios

Okay. I do not believe I actually could make this soon because I do not have access to the databases (Nor do I think I will but who knows.) But I will try when I get the chance :)

15. Offline

calebbfmv

Ahhhh, well, who knows, maybe they will later on!
    Anyway I have decided somewhat based of of this project, idea thing, to create iBSMS (iBukkitServerManagmentSystem) for iPhone and Android, with a plugin side.

16. Offline

kroltan

If you don't have access to DBs, you could do some HTML stripping to find the info you want from the site. (Request a page's contents, cut away anything not useful and use the remaining data as the "database" information

calebbfmv likes this.
  17. Offline

ChrisixStudios

I know but that's risky if there is changes on the website. That's why I don't like doing that.

18. Offline

kroltan

Well you can use a actual HTML parser to get the element with a certain ID and work out from there. I'm sure it would be much less painful to adjust if site structure changes drastically.

19. Offline

Sushi

LOL OBJECTIVE C

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.