Plugin Help Can Someone Teach me to Code Plugins?

Discussion in 'Plugin Help/Development/Requests' started by Ildigrub, Apr 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Ildigrub

I have a great idea for a plugin, I'm pretty sure its possible, but I have very little knowledge of coding. I can write a hello world script in java, C++, and python, and that's about it. I am not posting what my plugin idea is here due to the fact that it would probably be stolen. I'm hoping someone can teach me for free or link me to a good guide. I can use Skype, but not voice or video chat with strangers. I'm not entirely a stranger to computers, so I most likely won't need walkthroughs on installing programs (i.e. eclipse, JDK [both of which I already have, just examples], etc.)

P.S. Sorry if this is the wrong section.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
  2. Offline

BizarrePlatinum

@Ildigrub you'll need to know more java than that, a lot more. Bukkit is coded in Java, so before you learn bukkit, look up a few tutorials on the basics of Java before you attempt to write a plugin.

3. Offline

Ildigrub

Ok. Thanks

4. Offline

pie_flavor

@Ildigrub Learn Java. Simple as that. There are some hundreds of tutorials on the web. Learn it using something you enjoy - games, maybe, or maybe generators - I don't know. However, do not attempt to learn it based on one specific API, like Bukkit. A couple of specific topics that aren't taught in the average scrub tutorial are threads, file loading / reading, and event busses. These will be helpful in Bukkit.

5. Offline

Ildigrub

hey s there a way to delet a thread? I accidentally posted this one twice lol my internet conection is bad

anyone got any learning programs they recommend? I wasn't able to find any decent ones.

<Edited by bwfcwalshy: Merged posts, please use the edit button rather than double posting.>

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2015
  6. Offline

platyperson

Go to your local bookstore and buy "Java For Dummies." It is simply the most informative Java book I've ever read, and you'll be coding complex software in no time.

7. Offline

Ildigrub

ok thanks. ill start saving up my allowance now

8. Offline

nverdier

9. Offline

crolemol

@Ildigrub
    or start watching thenewboston on youtube

10. Offline

nverdier

Still better to use the official tutorials etc.

11. Offline

Mrgts

12. Offline

nverdier

13. Offline

Mrgts

not my type of learning coding, i prefer codecademy more, because it's simple and easy.

14. Offline

Corndogoz

for me, i just teach myself to code :p

15. Offline

nverdier

By what? Reading the JavaDocs?

16. Offline

Corndogoz

well, once i figured out the basics, i was just able to teach myself alot

17. Offline

nverdier

@Corndogoz Well you can't just practice and teach yourself, you have to have a place you get info from...

18. Offline

Corndogoz

well, i taught myself, then jut asked questions about what i needed, i never really got taught that much by other people

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.