BukkitDev "Localized languages"

Discussion in 'BukkitDev Information and Feedback' started by KingCraftUK, Aug 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

KingCraftUK

I find it disgraceful how when attempting to create a plugin or a mod on BukkitDev, when I scroll down to choose a "localized language" my choice for English is: enUSEnglish (enUS), yet there seems to be no box for an English (enUK) from which the language actually originates. This should be a definite addition to the site.

Giant and DxDy like this.
  2. I don't think it's implemented at all..Seems like I only get one option at most

3. Offline

CarlosArias604

Wow big deal, I'm sorry to say but it's not important. Bukkit uses American English anyway so if they change "Color" to "Colour" you would get confused.
    It doesn't matter where the language originated from, Bukkit is based on American English so you will just have to deal with a few letters out of place.
    Just to verify I'm not saying that American English is right as I'm Canadian and we use UK English anyway, You don't need to make say how it "Disgraceful" that they don't have UK English as a choice.

4. Offline

Omnitv

5. Offline

KingCraftUK

For me it's not really the fact that some words would need to be changed, it's just the fact that when they made the page originally they had the ability to create a en(UK) option and instead thought "oh screw it we'll just put American in". I have no problem with Americans or their take on English but come on really it's in the name "English" that perhaps it should have an inclusion seeing as they're happy to put in 'Traditional' and 'Simplified' Chinese. It's a similar concept and it wouldn't take any more effort on their half then adding a new symbol and letter, because although I have no problems with Americans I don't want your flag next to my plugin if i'm from the UK and have no intention on pretending i'm from America or that I speak American English (yeah I prefer to write colour rather than color). If Microsoft recognises UK English as different to American English, then so should Bukkit.

This isn't going to change my life if they do it or not but it's something that should be brought to the attention of BukkitDev and that is after all what this forum is about.

Plus I was going to remove the word 'disgrace' but it cannot be changed in edit to my knowledge.

6. Offline

mbaxter ʇıʞʞnq ɐ sɐɥ ı

As far as I know, traditional and simplified chinese are rather strongly different. enUS, enUK (enGB), enAU etc are all extremely similar, so we just stick with one version which is used by a rather large number of people.

7. Offline

Jacek

Why not remove the specification and just call it English ? It could then be up to the author to decide if they want to support all variations.

CarlosArias604 likes this.
  8. Offline

mbaxter ʇıʞʞnq ɐ sɐɥ ı

Because it's tagging language by ISO-639-1 code with national variant tag, a standard in computing. As BukkitDev is a programmer resource, it makes sense to use it. enUS is used as the option because it's a commonly used en variant. I really don't see what's wrong with this usage.

9. Offline

KingCraftUK

I'd really want to challenge that statement unless you have specific accredited figure sources behind it about the ratio of population using the American version on English compared to the British version of English. I have it on very good ground that all EU countries as well as China (with the addition of Hong Kong) in school are taught British English rather than the American version. As I say if you have evidence to the opposite please post the source and that'll be the end of it. If not then I think that you should reformulate your answer. All i'm asking for is the ability to have the Union Jack beside my plugin rather than the American one, i'm not American and i'm not going to code the plugin in American English. If that's completely not possible then at least something like what Jacek said should be taken into consideration or just the ability to choose a flag other than the American one.

10. Offline

Ne0nx3r0

When your users speak Spanish and all the help screens/etc. are in English, this is an issue. When they are British, and the help screens spell a few words differently, this is a sincerely minor issue.

While I agree it really should just be "English", I can understand the reasons for not splintering it into two groups. If it were possible to have both, but lob them into the same group when filtering (if that really ever occurs), that would be acceptable to.

As a side note, I'm already tempted to create a trolled British localization for my already "American" localized plugins.

US: "Usage: "
    UK: "What follows sir is in the most succinct terminology available a description of commands and their primary function:"

Lionhard and CarlosArias604 like this.
  11. Offline

CarlosArias604

Jeez stop complaining, Bukkit is not a product so you have no rights to using it. So if you don't like that it was made by people who speak American English please feel free to start from scratch.
    If you don't want to code a plugin in American English then don't. Simple as that, You are making a problem out of nothing. Who cares if it is using a different variation of English?

12. Offline

mbaxter ʇıʞʞnq ɐ sɐɥ ı

The statement by me that you just quoted says "a rather large number of people" not a majority or anything else implying a numbers or ratio game. You're attempting to put words in my mouth, which is rather uncool. I'm closing this topic to avoid further nonsense posts, but the idea of adding redundant localization options will be considered.

13. Offline

resba

As per a report filed by the Original Poster, I am going to clarify the decision to close this post as well as add an addendum.

This is not a matter of "who's right, who's wrong" when it comes to the popularity of certain derivatives of the English Language. If you'd look at the end of mbaxter 's post you'd notice that he indeed did say "the idea of adding redundant localization options will be considered."

That is indeed the end of it. The suggestion was made and we've considered it.

I took it upon myself to look into adding reduntant locales to BukkitDev by visiting the Curseforge tickets site and have discovered this:

http://www.curseforge.com/projects/curseforge/tickets/2252-more-locales-es-us-en-en/

For anyone that wants a quick summary of this ticket, the poster wanted to add more than one locale for each language into CurseForge instead of having one choice per language.

This particular ticket was closed and marked as invalid. With reason:
    [​IMG]

I personally do not see a need for this thread to be open. If anyone has any complaints, comments, or concerns they would like to address about the decision made in closing this thread, please feel free to PM me.

Mentions: mbaxter KingCraftUK

Best,

KingCraftUK likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.