BukkitDev: Just like links to External CI (Jenkins) builds, why not allow adf.ly?

Discussion in 'BukkitDev Information and Feedback' started by stuntguy3000, Jul 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

stuntguy3000

Well, before you say a flat out no, please read and consider this suggestion.
    Recently, (or for a while) BukkitDev authors (Plugin devs) have been allowed to post links to CI Build sites, on the condition they place a disclaimer.

[​IMG]

The topic of Adf.ly has been a very controversial one, since it can be linked to rouge sites etc – But so cant these links? Why not allow adf.ly links to the BukkitDev Page PROJECT, while a disclaimer saying that the end user takes full responsibilities on what adf.ly may do to the user.

I don't see how this is a bad idea, as this supports the developer. I am very interested in your opinion.

I mean, I have adf.ly whitelisted and i never see any worse ads than i do on the Bukkit forums. Hypocritical maybe?

2. Offline

TnT

Ad.fly provides a horrific user experience. Why would we even consider wanting to allow that?

Aengo, caseif, Xaymar and 3 others like this.
  3. Offline

stuntguy3000

Define what you mean by that.

Click a link, wait 5 seconds, click a image and your done. I usually open adf.ly links in a new tab so they dont every bother me.

What does a user experience have to do with anything really?

4. Offline

TnT

It is unfortunate you disagree, but your own opinion that you do not mind ad.fly is not justification enough to allow those links. User experience is extremely important and far outweighs making a few fractions of a cent to click those links.

5. Offline

stuntguy3000

I am sorry? You did not answer my question (or your own statement).

What do you mean by user experience? How is it horrific?

This should be about supporting the developers, and all the hard work they do.

6. Offline

LaxWasHere

Because kids doesn't understand adf.ly and that website will usually give you "ads" for a product when in reality it's a virus. Do you not care about people using your plugin? Stop being greedy.

Gravity and lDucks like this.
  7. Offline

stuntguy3000

Honestly, You're being hypocritical.

At the top of every Bukkit page is an Advert, which links off to another product.

"Do you not care about people using your plugin? Stop being greedy."
    How is this being greedy? What do you mean by the first part of your statement..

Oh and saying every Adf.ly advert is a virus, is bullshit.

8. Offline

TnT

stuntguy3000
    Plugin developers get supported through Curse rewards simply by having their plugin on BukkitDev. This service requires no extra hoops for any user to jump through.

You have also misunderstood my post. This isn't about me justifying the rules, this is about you proving that the no ad.fly rule should be removed. You have not done so. I remain completely unconvinced.

hawkfalcon likes this.
  9. Offline

Archarin

If they don't understand adf.ly then should they really be making a server.

Yeah because you can make so much money off of "Curse Awards".

10. Offline

Deckerz

It because some of the ads CAN be very misleading and if someone has never used adl.fy before they mightn't know how it works then downloads some random piece of crap software that slows down their pc. Then who would they blame? bukkit, so therefore its protecting users and the rep. of the site as a whole.

11. Offline

hatstand

If you really care about the $3 you'd make, you're free to go somewhere else. Curse rewards pay out better, and provide a less invasive user experience.

Hoolean likes this.
  12. Offline

Archarin

I don't really know why I'm arguing here anyway. I believe adf.ly should not be allowed because it take away a lot of the simplicity and if your a serve noob you could easily download iLivid or some sh*t.

13. Offline

hatstand

I am now thoroughly confused.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.