BukGet DBO API: Requesting people to run child servers

Discussion in 'BukkitDev Information and Feedback' started by SteveMcGrath, Dec 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

SteveMcGrath

Good morning everyone!

I wanted to ask you guys if there is anyone who would be interested in running a bukget child server for the DBO API. As it currently sits, we are running everything on a single system, which presents a single point of failure for the API and I am trying to develop a way to prevent that in the future. The server is currently being rebuild to support the capability to handle child servers to make sure that we don't hit DBO more than once per generation.

Currently the following is needed to run a child server:
    * MySQL Database
    * Python 2.6 or 2.7 (3.x hasnt been tested and probably wont work)
    * Python Virtualenv package (recommended to isolate bukget from the system python package library)
    * Apache, Nginx, Lighttpd, or some other HTTP server that can reverse proxy

End Goal Server v3:
    * Self updating from GitHub
    * Will pull the repository from the defined parent servers
    * Runs at about 60MB RAM

Please let me know if you are interested!

2. Offline

ks07

Definitely something to consider to run alongside the Minecraft server, I'm sure we can spare the resources. No definite yes or no just yet though, as there's still a lot to be done on the actual server itself, and I'd have to talk to co-owners.

Sounds like a good way to help out if you've got the resources to spare, without having to spend any more. And to the skeptics - I'm sure you could use this for a small bit of advertisement too. :p

3. Offline

SpaceManiac

I probably could, maybe.

ks07 likes this.
  4. Offline

Fishfish0001

I could probably help too.

5. Offline

jaboy

i have no idea what this is .... might wanna point me in the right direction ?!?!

6. Offline

hatstand

I have hardware and bandwidth to spare.

7. Offline

Jacob Marshall

Im trying to setup my child server now... wouldn't mind a little help if you can.

If this helps, here is the console log when i tried to execute the server.
    Code:
    root@server1:/var/bukget# python server.py
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "server.py", line 18, in <module>
        import bukget
      File "/var/bukget/bukget/__init__.py", line 2, in <module>
        import dbo
      File "/var/bukget/bukget/dbo.py", line 1, in <module>
        import yaml
    ImportError: No module named yaml
    EDIT: Ive never used python, im more of a php developer, but I need this to work regardless, for my latest project.

8. Offline

frymaster

It's saying it can't import the yaml module. Chances are it's not installed; your server's package management system should be able to sort that (it's called python-yaml on ubuntu, for what it's worth)

9. Offline

Jacob Marshall

Ahh, thanks man... ill give it a try tomorrow. Didn't know I needed another python module.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.